Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT:911R

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 09:27 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Any successful brand and franchise needs consistent standards and image. Sure, some may have not needed it, but?? Go into any Porsche dealer now and they look consistent and the same.

Get them to do it now while the sales are there $$$$

Porsche isn't stupid. If the economy slows down and sales slow down, they won't have the upper hand with the dealers.

The dealers need Porsche more than Porsche needs them now. They don't like it? There's another guy in town willing to invest in a Porsche dealership.

This way, they have fresh remodels that will carry them for another 15yrs. If sales were down 5% year over year, dealers would have more leverage.

Make sense?? Unfortunately it seems like Porsche plays its hand a little too hard with the dealers and there seems to be friction between the two. Doesn't seem like they always play nice. I would argue that PAG resents the whole US franchised dealership model.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:47 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
Any successful brand and franchise needs consistent standards and image. Sure, some may have not needed it, but?? Go into any Porsche dealer now and they look consistent and the same.

Get them to do it now while the sales are there $$$$

Porsche isn't stupid. If the economy slows down and sales slow down, they won't have the upper hand with the dealers.

The dealers need Porsche more than Porsche needs them now. They don't like it? There's another guy in town willing to invest in a Porsche dealership.

This way, they have fresh remodels that will carry them for another 15yrs. If sales were down 5% year over year, dealers would have more leverage.

Make sense?? Unfortunately it seems like Porsche plays its hand a little too hard with the dealers and there seems to be friction between the two. Doesn't seem like they always play nice. I would argue that PAG resents the whole US franchised dealership model.
Hey I could care less myself....but all the points you are making are fine but the complaint is how often they are required. Porsche does not time facility upgrades based on the how sales are....this last round just happened to be quickly after the last round. Dealers know and accept that facilities must meet a certain criteria and look for the brand, but again how often is too often? I have had different franchises before and I can tell you that when economy or brand isn't doing well that a manufacturer needs franchisees much more than they need the manufacturer. When things aren't so good manufacturers are begging for businesses to sell there product or anyone willing to sell it.
Old 10-24-2015, 03:06 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Are these just renders? Where are these pictures coming from?

Originally Posted by Metzeger
The 991 R

Old 10-24-2015, 03:15 PM
sparkyglenn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think they are just photoshops of a barely detailed car design.
Old 10-24-2015, 04:06 PM
LSs1Power
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

911 R will have the following:
1. Narrow Carrera body same as Carrera 2
2. 4.0 engine from GT3 RS mated to a manual transmission. Not sure if it's a 6 speed from the GT4 or a 7 speed from the Carreras
3. 500 numbered units only
4. Extreme light weight measures to make it the lightest Carrera in the current line up. Could be an indication for the absence of RWS and front lift.

Not sure if it's going to be a 991.2 or not.
Old 10-24-2015, 04:26 PM
lax01
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by LSs1Power
2. 4.0 engine from GT3 RS mated to a manual transmission. Not sure if it's a 6 speed from the GT4 or a 7 speed from the Carreras
4. Extreme light weight measures to make it the lightest Carrera in the current line up. Could be an indication for the absence of RWS and front lift.

You want to site your source or are you just supplying more conjecture?
Old 10-24-2015, 04:35 PM
LSs1Power
Racer

Originally Posted by lax01
You want to site your source or are you just supplying more conjecture?
Sorry I can't give the source, but you will see what I listed above in the Geneva Auto Show as the car will be revealed there.
Old 10-24-2015, 04:53 PM
sparkyglenn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well say hi the Andreas for us.
Old 10-24-2015, 05:02 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Any cars for the US?
Old 10-24-2015, 05:09 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 629 Posts

I don't think that 911R is getting the 4.0 RS engine. A GT3 engine is very possible and would make this a special car without threatening the king of street legal NA Porsche 911s, the 4.0 RS.

Last edited by Drifting; 10-24-2015 at 05:10 PM. Reason: .
Old 10-24-2015, 05:11 PM
LSs1Power
Racer

Originally Posted by Mech33
Any cars for the US?
I don't have info on that. All I know is 500 worldwide.
Old 10-24-2015, 05:15 PM
LSs1Power
Racer

Originally Posted by Drifting
I don't think that 911R is getting the 4.0 RS engine. A GT3 engine is very possible and would make this a special car without threatening the king of street legal NA Porsche 911s, the 4.0 RS.
The RS engine was a surprise to me as well, but will make the R more special for sure.

It is not directed to compete against the RS. It will be a more engaging car to drive but not faster. I don't think it would take the GT3 in terms of lap times.
Old 10-24-2015, 05:36 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts

I don't have info on that. All I know is 500 worldwide.
you know the engine you don t know the .1 or.2 facelifted
nor the gearbox
do you know what would make it an R which
was a very different than normal series cars?
same chassis as regular Carreras same gearbox wheter GT3 or Carreras
same engine like RS

just to remember R was more powerful
plastic doors and fiberglass! body in the 60'
none of regular had yhat that s why an R

the one you propose seems more than a special R
a pick up whatever we in normal production so not really an R
Old 10-24-2015, 05:46 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The dutch plated car above is a GT3 with rear aero removed. Its a real car and has been sighted and photographed elsewhere on teh road and dealers yard over the last 18 months. I have other pictures on file of the car. It is not the "R".

To use the 4.0 engine in the R will require re packaging the intake tracts as they require the extra width of the Turbo rear body work to run around the side of the car. You can see this in the BBi thread where they fit the new Akara exhahust set up on a RS and remove the rear bumper. One assumes if they use the 4.0RS engine it will possibly make slightly less power as they will need to feed the inlet manifold from above the rear deck which I believe is more restrictive.

Id be surprised if they use the GT3 engine. the 991 GT3 will be the last time they make 9000 rpm form a flat 6 I should think. The 4.0 RS engine is more developed and one assumes more robust with its oiling improvements, stronger crankshaft and 8600/8800 rev limit.

An "R" limited to "500 units worldwide" will be an immediate collectors car (like Sport Classic) and not a car for driving or using at the track. It will not compete performance wise with 991 GT3 or RS on outright performance. Apart from speculators I should think it it would hold little interest to rennlisters as its a curiosity piece that in thsi current bubble market will exchange hands for 2-3x a GT3/RS due to scarcity and I suspect few will ever turn a wheel in anger. A real unicorn.

All IMO :-)
Old 10-24-2015, 05:54 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry. Above should read TAG Motorsports not BBi. Here is what i mean...
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: OT:911R