Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another thing to know about center locks..continued update from recent thread.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 04:35 PM
Pazzo009
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Another thing to know about center locks..continued update from recent thread.

Hi guys,

If you were reading my previous thread regarding being told misinformation of CL change every 6000 miles

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...000-miles.html

I wanted to take the time to tell everyone what I was told by the master technician at my dealer, who is an awesome and knowledgeable guy. I am very impressed by his wisdom and demeanor. I wound up being responsible for the replacement of the CL due to my negligence, and ignorance I suppose. In the pictures, please take notice of imperfections in the metal shim. For example one pic shows a visible bend. Another shows a dark gray blemish (burn mark) and the more closer pic shows a inner circle creased bend. My apologies the pics were taken by phone. So basically this shim is supposed to be perfect.

This issue ONLY pertains to those who have removed their wheels and the CL separated. If it does, be careful of putting it back together to avoid this issue. Make sure you do not force it, and make sure that shim is nice and flush and straight with it's surroundings. DO NOT over grease your CL's, it will lead to issues down the road (excuse the pun). I was also told to avoid CL's separating, after you loosen it, when it's pretty loose to untighten by hand, give a small knock to the top of your tire to break the "seal", be mindful when you do so to not have it that loose where the wheel can come off.

If any of you have experience with CL's that separate just do an inspection to make sure the shim has no burn marks, bends, or any visible damage. According to the technician, this is no bueno.

Feel free to ask me any questions. Please keep in mind I am not a mechanic, I am just an enthusiast and I wanted to share this information in hopes to help keep others safe and informed.
Attached Images     

Quick Reply: Another thing to know about center locks..continued update from recent thread.