Sponsored by:

DrJupeman does ED

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 04:43 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default DrJupeman does ED

I don't want to muddy Peter/Trakcar and his ED adventure thread so I'm going to make my own. I know, boring GT3, not an RS and in standard Red, not Barney purple...

Now, I thought I was cool for doing a bunch of track days at the Nordschleife and Spa with my ED GT3, but when Peter planned to do 20 days, I knew I couldn't compete. Nonetheless, FoodAngel and I are having a great ED adventure that has been split into two trips because of work. Part 1 we took delivery and then did a 7 day Porsche Travel Club trip (forced to do it to get the ED date...) driving Alpine roads in Bavaria, Austria, and Italy. It was great. I can post pics/video if folks are interested.

Part 2 is more the track part and today, as Peter has shown, was the first of three days on the Nordschleife. Here's my fast lap from today. Prior to today I had 4 laps on the Nordschleife 10 years ago. I was able to get in 10 laps today (several accidents shut down the track for too long) and here's the fastest one (sorry, Peter, not the one where I passed you... ).

DrJupeman's Nordschleife fast lap on Sept 25 2015

For those who might notice I lolly-gag in sections (such as the front straight), note that the 'Ring currently has three places with speed limits. A race track with speed limits, sigh...

Last edited by DrJupeman; 09-27-2015 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:49 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats Charlie, I'm digging the red
Old 09-25-2015, 04:51 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

Looking good Charlie
Old 09-25-2015, 06:34 PM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

Nice meeting you and FoodAngel!

Really, really good speed!

Hint: if you enter the gear ratio into HLT you will see which gear you're in when doing the overlay.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:38 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I know that Mrs TRAKCAR and I would love to see the Porsche Eurotrip pics and tales. Let's do it.
We got our ED date in Zuffenhausen for the Macan today; Dec 21. I see a lot of Chriskindle markets and Gluhwein in my future :-(

Folks for who don't know yet; DR Jupeman is the real deal, fast and quickly fast as you can see.! I think it was the extra 200rpm and no passenger ballast and some big brass *****
Old 09-25-2015, 10:35 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Wow Charlie thanks for sharing your lap , smooth and fast for one day out , forget about ten years ago , never had the good fortune yet to travel to Germany , sure seems impressive driving to me .
Are you shifting or running in auto mode ?
Would love to see pictures of your adventure too !

Last edited by R.Deacon; 09-25-2015 at 11:23 PM.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:50 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

That's awesome, your car is gorgeous.
Old 09-26-2015, 03:11 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I know that Mrs TRAKCAR and I would love to see the Porsche Eurotrip pics and tales. Let's do it.
We got our ED date in Zuffenhausen for the Macan today; Dec 21. I see a lot of Chriskindle markets and Gluhwein in my future :-(

Folks for who don't know yet; DR Jupeman is the real deal, fast and quickly fast as you can see.! I think it was the extra 200rpm and no passenger ballast and some big brass *****
Ah yes, big brass *****. Low Center of Gravity

Charlie, congrats on your Euro delivery, that looks like a blast and that 7 day scenic road tour sounds awesome! I'd LOVE to see pix from that! Your car is gorgeous and you're one heck of a driver, fast and smooth. Enjoy the rest of your trip and be sure to keep the pix and vids flowing! Thanks for taking us with you on your adventure! Drive safe and enjoy!
Old 09-26-2015, 05:06 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Pics from Part 1. Delivery was Sept 9, one week tour Porsche called the "Dolomite Alps Tour". It is fun how you meet up with complete strangers whose common core is a love of a car marque and after a week are best buds.

Old 09-26-2015, 05:13 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

One of the cool things about doing the Porsche Group Tours is they have a Porsche Guide that leads you along the journey. Prior to the trip I worried that this would be incredibly lame and limiting, but it turned out to be exactly the opposite. Our tour guide was a young Porsche engineer responsible for "fuel efficiency" and in that role he does a lot of test driving. He was a very spirited and accomplished driver and we were lucky to have him assigned to our group (they split the tour group into two smaller groups, basically "fast" and "slow"). They paired the two GT cars (our GT3 and a guy from Hawaii who had a yellow GT4) into the fast group and let others choose to go with us or with the other group. In the end, having the Porsche guide be a "spotter" who would bomb ahead of us on mountain passes at his own breakneck speed (I became SERIOUSLY impressed with the performance of the Macan Turbo he was driving) and then radio back to us obstacles, pedestrians, bikers, cars, etc., ahead on the road allowed for a lot faster and safer driving around these Alpine passes and roads. Here are two video examples.

Somewhere in Italy

Some of the Timmelsjoch
Old 09-26-2015, 05:18 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by R.Deacon
Are you shifting or running in auto mode ?
Shifting myself. Auto mode, I have been told, is faster, but I want the control and rhythm of shifting myself. Unfortunately my downshift paddle only works intermittently (yeah, broken after less than 2000 km...) so I downshift on track with the console lever and upshift with the right paddle. You will see I intentionally short-shift in places to allow me comfort in being hard on the gas but with less torque. I'm not sure how long the auto mode would sit with that behavior before downshifting again, which I wouldn't want. At any rate, shifting this thing yourself is super fun: perfect heel/toe every time!
Old 09-26-2015, 05:20 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Here's the tour group minus one couple from Utah and their red C4S Cab and a second Hawaiian with a black Targa. (Also not shown are the two Macan Turbos the Porsche guides were driving.) Katie (FoodAngel) and I are on the far left of the pic (me kneeling, she is behind; closest to our car).

Old 09-26-2015, 06:06 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Thanks for those pictures!!
Even in our Macan a trip like that would be great Porsche guided or on our own.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:18 AM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

DR. Jupeman and the Food Angle living my dreams , Mr. and Mrs. Trakcar living my fantasy

Thanks all for your efforts in the share , it sure is fun to see. Beautiful photos of epic adventures!

I need to figure out how to make a little more cash to happily follow your paths.

Keep the fun flowing
Old 09-26-2015, 10:55 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awesome photos!!!

Quick Reply: DrJupeman does ED