Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   Journey through a few dealers - insights on 16 GT3 & RS (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/895345-journey-through-a-few-dealers-insights-on-16-gt3-and-rs.html)

mrsullivan 09-24-2015 05:46 PM

Journey through a few dealers - insights on 16 GT3 & RS

Had some interesting twists of fate over the last week, that took me through a windy journey of learnings, thought I would share them here. I will not talk about particulars, who, what, which dealers, etc.

A special thanks to Eduardo and Mooty for their advice along the way.

1) 16 GT3 allocations are very sparse. There are buyers that don't want an RS, but they do want a new GT3. So if you have a 16 GT3 allocation, what I have learned is that dealers are actually looking for them. I had multiple offers for my 16 GT3 allocation, both just $ premium, but also as a trading "card" for RS allocations. Some dealers have RS allocations, but not GT3! The dealer shenanigans here are widespread and in some cases very creative and entertaining.

2) The 918 VIP program has created even more shenanigans, as many of those customers either never intended to take delivery of their RS, or changed their mind. A disproportionate number of those cars were done in PTS. Thus some of the recent threads on this site about PTS RS cars at various dealers for premium mark ups. They are starting to show up. There are very specific rules about these cars, some dealers are following them, some are not. I.E. how they can be titled, 6 month embargo before selling, etc.

3) There WILL be another small batch of RS allocations, but production for the RS will stop in June.

4) There will be no more PTS availability for 991.1 RS. Its done. Already bottlenecked. More demand than expected/planned. Maybe not news here, but confirmed.

These points aren't from one single cleaning lady conversation at PCNA. There are the key takeaways that were universal across a few different dealers and sources. I almost traded my 16 GT3 for a PTS RS allocation plus a premium, but it didn't work out. During the process, spoke with several dealers and gathered this intel. Hope it helps someone along the way.

Dr. G 09-24-2015 05:58 PM

Interesting stuff. Any chatter about the 991.2 GT3/RS?

mrsullivan 09-24-2015 06:13 PM

zero on that topic

STG 09-24-2015 06:35 PM

Moral of the story? Dealer "acting badly" shenanigans :nono:

mrsullivan 09-24-2015 07:16 PM

Some good some bad. Not all bad. I actually think the moral of the story is that there is no way to universally and fairly execute the VIP 918 program and Porsche needs to revisit its policies on allocations, MSRP, etc. And that there are more RS cars coming :D

Alexey21 09-24-2015 07:22 PM

I really hope that they make more RS cars. I was gonna get in line for an allocation for an RS after getting the GT3, but I guess no point now. Instead I should go ahead and get in line for the GT2 since Turbo is the future. Makes me wish my 16 GT3 allocation gets here faster, this waiting game with Porsche is starting to become very annoying.

Blkdsr12 09-24-2015 08:25 PM

I had heard that there were going to be about another 100 RS allocations in December and that 8 of those were going to 918 customers that had passed on an earlier allocation. So maybe another 90 or so going to dealers late in the year??? Not many, if true.

usctrojanGT3 09-24-2015 08:47 PM

Very interesting info. Well if Auto Gallery having 3 unallocated RSs for sale isn't proof enough that funny stuff is going on then nothing is.

NateOZ 09-24-2015 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by mrsullivan (Post 12618740)
Some good some bad. Not all bad. I actually think the moral of the story is that there is no way to universally and fairly execute the VIP 918 program and Porsche needs to revisit its policies on allocations, MSRP, etc. And that there are more RS cars coming :D

From what I understand nothing is confirmed yet and next big dealer meeting is next month.

Tre 09-24-2015 09:06 PM

Very good info, thanks for some valuable insight Jonathan! The 991 GT3 (RS) car situation in the US certainly sounds messy, and the incredibly outrageous "market adjustment" practice is only making matters worse. I would think that "lists" at dealerships would only help streamline some of the demand for specific models, but apparently the dealer network is not networked (insert obligatory need for network [ala PCNA or a Tesla sales model] here).

usctrojanGT3 09-24-2015 09:10 PM

I've been told by reliable sources that those scumbags dealers that we all hate (Auto Gallery, Beverly Hills, Champion, etc) have been buying other dealer RS allocations for small premiums from other dealers and then marking them more. Now that is beyond annoying. :mad:

Alan Smithee 09-24-2015 09:30 PM

...so you should hate those other dealers as well, since their customers waiting in line will be told they have no more allocations.

usctrojanGT3 09-24-2015 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee (Post 12619054)
...so you should hate those other dealers as well, since their customers waiting in line will be told they have no more allocations.

I hate both of them. I know there are good dealers out there and I know it's hard for the good ones to remain good ones when $$$ is involved. But some recognize that a relationship is worth more than a few more bucks now.

montoya 09-25-2015 02:25 AM

Had I know that at 2016 GT3 was RS allocation currency, I wouldn't have passed on the one I was offered two weeks ago, damn!

(and sorry, it's long gone so no need to ask!)

rosenbergendo 09-25-2015 10:59 AM

Speaking to people here at Rennsport it would appear that they are headed away from turbos in GT3 and will go to hybrid. No I don't have any big scoop. But posing the direct question to the big wigs "will my next GT3 be a turbo or electric?", all of them said KERS.