Sponsored by:

Journey through a few dealers - insights on 16 GT3 & RS

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 11:18 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AC SATCO
I PERSONALLY know a dealer, not Porsche, that got thier hands on and sold 3 brand new RS for 140k over, if not more

fact, not speculation

i wont even mention how much he offered me for mt PTS signal green when it gets here, but it was very enticing.
sent you PM
Old 09-25-2015, 11:40 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
I almost traded my 16 GT3 for a PTS RS allocation plus a premium, but it didn't work out.
I'm guessing the premium was considerable? I had a '16 GT3 specced with LO on order. My dealer and I tried to find a way to trade it for an RS but neither of us could get anyone to sniff. I ended up passing the allocation to the next guy in line as I had really wanted PTS. If the premium wasn't too bad, I'd think that would be a tough trade to pass on. Of course, in the end, the numbers either make the deal attractive or they don't.
Old 09-25-2015, 12:07 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,767 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
Had some interesting twists of fate over the last week, that took me through a windy journey of learnings, thought I would share them here. I will not talk about particulars, who, what, which dealers, etc.

A special thanks to Eduardo and Mooty for their advice along the way.

1) 16 GT3 allocations are very sparse. There are buyers that don't want an RS, but they do want a new GT3. So if you have a 16 GT3 allocation, what I have learned is that dealers are actually looking for them. I had multiple offers for my 16 GT3 allocation, both just $ premium, but also as a trading "card" for RS allocations. Some dealers have RS allocations, but not ! GT3The dealer shenanigans here are widespread and in some cases very creative and entertaining.

2) The 918 VIP program has created even more shenanigans, as many of those customers either never intended to take delivery of their RS, or changed their mind. A disproportionate number of those cars were done in PTS. Thus some of the recent threads on this site about PTS RS cars at various dealers for premium mark ups. They are starting to show up. There are very specific rules about these cars, some dealers are following them, some are not. I.E. how they can be titled, 6 month embargo before selling, etc.

3) There WILL be another small batch of RS allocations, but production for the RS will stop in June.

4) There will be no more PTS availability for 991.1 RS. Its done. Already bottlenecked. More demand than expected/planned. Maybe not news here, but confirmed.

These points aren't from one single cleaning lady conversation at PCNA. There are the key takeaways that were universal across a few different dealers and sources. I almost traded my 16 GT3 for a PTS RS allocation plus a premium, but it didn't work out. During the process, spoke with several dealers and gathered this intel. Hope it helps someone along the way.
This is why I said this earlier.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post12607792
Old 09-25-2015, 01:12 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

ipse dixit, fair point looking back now, honestly i could not imagine paying over MSRP for a standard GT3, or even really an RS, maybe PTS RS, which has been my dilemna
Old 09-25-2015, 04:58 PM
GianiCakes
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had my hair cut today. Admittedly not news in itself but during the process I read one of the German magazines (Auto motor und sport I think) which contained a thorough test of a UV RS. In that article it mentioned a production limit of 2,400 which is not something I've seen mentioned before?
Old 09-25-2015, 05:20 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,801 Likes on 2,167 Posts

I think we all know that supply is kept artificially low by the powers to be. World economy, especially China, looks a bit shaky right now. I can wait to have an RS for less.
Old 09-25-2015, 05:24 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

I PERSONALLY know a dealer, not Porsche, that got thier hands on and sold 3 brand new RS for 140k over, if not more

fact, not speculation

i wont even mention how much he offered me for mt PTS signal green when it gets here, but it was very enticing.
Good for those buyers that won't even blink at paying $140k over, I'm not that one of them even though I can swing it. I'll wait. After all, I got my unicorn PTS .2RS for about 1/3 off MSRP.
Old 09-25-2015, 05:42 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

im in your boat

could but wouldnt, 10 years of buying cars at 140k over msrp and the well would eventually run dry lol
Yeah, I've been lucky that I got into the GT world when I did. Yeah, I'm a working stiff with basically 2 jobs...paying $140k over or anything close to it will start getting painful quickly. I wish I was a trust fund baby or married rich. haha

Focusing on finding a nice 3-car garage single story home first.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:00 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
Speaking to people here at Rennsport it would appear that they are headed away from turbos in GT3 and will go to hybrid. No I don't have any big scoop. But posing the direct question to the big wigs "will my next GT3 be a turbo or electric?", all of them said KERS.
Heard same thing at Porsche garage at lone star lemans.
Old 09-26-2015, 12:16 AM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

I am next in line with a dealership. I am not ready to buy an RS right now so I am hoping I would be part of the december allocation. If they call me now, I would probably pass.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:27 AM
Finlander
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
Speaking to people here at Rennsport it would appear that they are headed away from turbos in GT3 and will go to hybrid. No I don't have any big scoop. But posing the direct question to the big wigs "will my next GT3 be a turbo or electric?", all of them said KERS.
Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Heard same thing at Porsche garage at lone star lemans.
Great news.....thanks for sharing.
Old 09-26-2015, 09:52 AM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 517 Posts

"Speaking to people here at Rennsport it would appear that they are headed away from turbos in GT3 and will go to hybrid. No I don't have any big scoop. But posing the direct question to the big wigs "will my next GT3 be a turbo or electric?", all of them said KERS."

I'm focusing on the word "next" and its interpretation. Specifically, I'm wondering if they meant next iteration of the 991 GT3 or the next platform GT3.
Old 09-26-2015, 10:11 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Agree. Near term questions I have -

1) Will there be additional 991.1 RS allocations? I am convinced "yes", although don't know how many or exact timing. I suspect over the next 30 days.

2) Will there be a 991.2 gt3/RS model with minor updates as in previous years? What will be the timing for that?

3) Will there be a GT2/RS? What will be the timing for that?

4) When would we expect 992 GT3/RS/GT2/RS platform approximately and is THAT what we can expect to be KERS?

Quick Reply: Journey through a few dealers - insights on 16 GT3 & RS