Ruining my resale value

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 06:25 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,802 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Pick up day. Sept 24.

Delivery guy; Let me show you the engine.. Oops.. Well you only need service every bla bla bla.
Me; Not much to see here, nice CF cover, should have been ON the kid not under it..Lets move on.

Delivery guy; Break in is bla bla bla....
Me; OK.

Delivery guy; So where are you guys going?
Me; Manthey day at the Ring starts 8AM tomorrow morning....

Delivery guy; Perfect!! It's going to rub a lot AP wanted the maximum rubber in the front and rear.
Me; OK.

Now I have 6000 miles, ruined fender liners but it hasn't missed a beat. Can't wait for it to finally arrive.
I'm surprised the car didn't self destruct with all those track miles due to all the unobtainium in the car. Good start, I'm still not convinced you've driven it enough to make sure there are no gremlins lurking in the car. Best to drive it on some US tracks to be make sure, then I'll be more comfortable buying the car.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:32 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

ChrisF is shipping the GT4, he will test drive it for you as well since you are too busy driving a Prius from office to office.

You need to re evaluate...
Old 11-28-2015, 02:07 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, you're one big dude Trakcar. You sure you'll fit in the 4?
Old 11-28-2015, 02:12 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

The sales guy was a midget lol, I'm only 6'4" and a bit round..

All my length comes from upper legs. So helmet room no problem as long as I take seat cushion out. With 3 pedal cars I really like my legs straight but than again this one auto blips so it should fit..

Last edited by TRAKCAR; 11-28-2015 at 03:29 PM.
Old 11-28-2015, 02:58 PM
blinsc
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

delete
Old 11-28-2015, 03:08 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

I have 40k miles on my .1RS
2 Tarmac rallies, 40+ track days and two cross country road trips.

Car still drives like new.
Road rash is evident however.

Would i like to have a concours bubble wrapped RS in my garage? Yeah, sure. But I had so much fun experiencing my RS for what it was capable of doing that I would not trade it for a never used trailer queen experience.

There is something to be said for exercising the abilities of what these cars can do as opposed to enjoying the concept of what they can do.
I now use it as a Sunday driver.
Old 11-28-2015, 05:37 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

ChrisF is shipping the GT4, he will test drive it for you as well since you are too busy driving a Prius from office to office.

You need to re evaluate...
Damn auditors are coming in Jan...
Old 11-28-2015, 05:38 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bronson7
Wow, you're one big dude Trakcar. You sure you'll fit in the 4?
I'm 6'1 (and more round) and with the seat all the way back in my GT4 I can't touch the pedals so he'll be fine. I think the GT4 has as much leg room as the GT3 and RS.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:16 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

on all my p cars I have this quote I
on rear glass " not putting on miles on ur Porsche is like not having sec with ur gf so she's more desirable for her next bc"

YMMV

pls keep urs pristine bc I like to try new gf often. and I like them nice
young and clean.

I don't advocate driving them everywhere ot over 12" snow.. but too never drive

em is just too much...

Originally Posted by Dr. G
I've written this before, but it put things in perspective for me.

If eat at fine dining restaurants. Three to four hours, hundreds of dollars - more with good wine. 6-8 hours later it all ends up going down the drain - literally. That's 100% depreciation in 12 hours. Do that once a week for a year and that's a fair amount of money. (I'm a glutton, yes).

Drive your car whenever you want. Enjoy the crap out of it (no pun intended). Sell it when you're tired of it and want something new or keep it maintained and enjoy it forever. It's still a better value than eating at a fine restaurant.

Would you order the best food in the world and just stare at it?

Drive it.
I'm a foodie as well. I do habe friends who stare at food. I love them. I am a fast eater. when I'm done with my llate, I have absolute zero hesitation eating off my friends plates, their drinks etc. when dessert shows up, I have forks on both Jonas kne on my plate one in urs. this is not a joke. those RLster who dined with me knows. eat fast or u will be hungry

enjoy ur food and cars
eat fast drive fast

Originally Posted by Keith Verges - Dallas
Who on their death bed is going to look back and say "I am sure glad I drove my GT3 the minimum and got xtra money for it when I sold it" or "my estate should get top dollar for my GT3." I am all for taking good care of assets and have had some success with "investment" cars, but I drive them all and won't have a car I am afraid to drive.
indeed.

Originally Posted by Ronan
3000 miles in the first 20 days.

OF course I am going to drive it when weather permits. We'll all be dead long enough, and if I wanted to collect something to look at I would buy art.

There is a reason why cars have wheels.
really, I thought the wheels were to facilitate PUSHING the car from ine detailing room to another so it can be polished clinically clean.

Just got word that the GT4 won't arrive till late February so that means 10k miles by end of February. Did 6000 in the first 5 weeks now it may, or may not be on a boat here. Not getting an answer from ED dept.
your pos purple eggplant is woth 99,999. I'll send the. Indy over momday and pls divert the delivery to CA
Old 11-29-2015, 06:00 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

If I ever heard someone say that about a GT3, I would probably never speak with them about cars again. I've been daily driving a 911 since I was 27 years old. It's not a Mclaren F1, get real.

Where's NAM VET? He daily drives a GT3 with a race exhaust...
Old 11-29-2015, 11:32 PM
surfer
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

DD my 991 gt3. It sounds cliched but YOLO. Lost a friend last month really puts things in perspective. He was only 26 years old and married for 2 months. No bank accounts in coffin.
Old 11-30-2015, 12:36 PM
Racer

Received 290 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by sccchiii
Anyone who obsesses over resale value needs to just jump in your grave now....life is far to short. Drive the damn rods out the engine and enjoy the car, who gives a flying crap about resale value?????? I have said hundreds of times, not many original owner's driving '73 RS knew they would eventually be holy grail Porsche, how about GTO Ferrari? Many were left for dead for many many decades and who knew back then what they would be worth today? **** I owned a 250 Lusso and cheap sold it before they went to the moon...oh well it is what it is, I bought it to enjoy it not because I know what market will do as I'm far to dumb to guess what people will want. People back in the day drove cars to enjoy them and they HAPPENED to go up at some point far after many originally owned them. I'll give those obsessed with GT3 resale value some free financial advice; DON'T BUY THESE CARS IF YOU WORRY ABOUT MONEY, YOU WONT WIN go elsewhere with your money!! Don't quote extreme examples either because I for one don't care, no one knows what these cars will do and they have built far to many to matter at this point. 991 GT3s aren't hard to come by and they won't hold value forever so move on, go buy a vintage Ferrari if you want investment grade cars. The next great thing will come along and these will be forgotten for next 40 years and maybe longer and from my grave I'll be laughing because someone will stumble upon my car with a very very worn out engine ha ha ha.
+1 !
Drive them and have fun and raise hell. I did with my cars, then got interested in other pursuits and sold. Regrets? Sure, but if I had them today, at present values, the small amount of responsibility I do have dictates going easy and I wouldn't have nearly as much fun.
I liked the days where the questions were "What engine...how fast etc.". When prices started to move up, "Are you nuts...don't you realize how valuable they are?"
I used to go to the store in one of them and because there were no door locks, I would sometimes find people sitting in it when I returned. I never had a problem with that..but today?

Old 11-30-2015, 01:00 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by surfer
DD my 991 gt3. It sounds cliched but YOLO. Lost a friend last month really puts things in perspective. He was only 26 years old and married for 2 months. No bank accounts in coffin.
This.
Old 11-30-2015, 01:15 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Para82
This.
+1
Old 11-30-2015, 03:21 PM
Streetking
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 8 Posts

I get what all of you are saying but for me I have other track cars and will take my RS out only when we have a small group together and rent COTA. I enjoy driving It on the street and just looking at it. Sam's thread on cost of fixing the RS makes sense. When I'm on the track, I am in a mode like most of you, not going to worry about rock chips, damage ect. I know I would be thinking about those things if I took the RS out. For those who don't care and love to do this, great for you! I'm just a **** guy, even my track & race cars look like new. Those of you that know me know I drive the s..t out of all my cars but like to keep them looking like new, for ME not for resale. The RS is going to be a keeper, just like a lot of my cars. I can tell after having a car for a week if it's long term or a temp fix. My daily driver SL65 has 14k on it, I'm on my 3rd set of rear tires..

Quick Reply: Ruining my resale value