Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ruining my resale value

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 05:18 PM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who on their death bed is going to look back and say "I am sure glad I drove my GT3 the minimum and got xtra money for it when I sold it" or "my estate should get top dollar for my GT3." I am all for taking good care of assets and have had some success with "investment" cars, but I drive them all and won't have a car I am afraid to drive.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:49 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone who obsesses over resale value needs to just jump in your grave now....life is far to short. Drive the damn rods out the engine and enjoy the car, who gives a flying crap about resale value?????? I have said hundreds of times, not many original owner's driving '73 RS knew they would eventually be holy grail Porsche, how about GTO Ferrari? Many were left for dead for many many decades and who knew back then what they would be worth today? **** I owned a 250 Lusso and cheap sold it before they went to the moon...oh well it is what it is, I bought it to enjoy it not because I know what market will do as I'm far to dumb to guess what people will want. People back in the day drove cars to enjoy them and they HAPPENED to go up at some point far after many originally owned them. I'll give those obsessed with GT3 resale value some free financial advice; DON'T BUY THESE CARS IF YOU WORRY ABOUT MONEY, YOU WONT WIN go elsewhere with your money!! Don't quote extreme examples either because I for one don't care, no one knows what these cars will do and they have built far to many to matter at this point. 991 GT3s aren't hard to come by and they won't hold value forever so move on, go buy a vintage Ferrari if you want investment grade cars. The next great thing will come along and these will be forgotten for next 40 years and maybe longer and from my grave I'll be laughing because someone will stumble upon my car with a very very worn out engine ha ha ha.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:04 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mwar99
So a friend was at an event this weekend with someone who had a GT3 and didn't want to drive it much (trailer to the event, didn't want to drive 100 miles for the back roads driving). When he said "I have a friend with a GT3 with over 7K miles in 9 months" the comment made was that I was ruining resale.

How many people don't realize this is a car? I want to enjoy it. Driving it like it's a museum piece provides no enjoyment at all. It will depreciate, it is not a historic Ferrari. I don't think I will ever understand.

I thought a few folks might get a kick out of the comment. My friend didn't even mention the track miles...
Well all those historic Ferraris were new at some point in time. What is interesting is that for the most part they have plenty of mileage.

Enjoy the freaking car and let the market take care of its value!
Old 09-23-2015, 10:06 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,750 Likes on 2,174 Posts

12K miles on my car in 8 months, and several more track events lined up for this season before it gets too cold. If you calculate the depreciation per mile driven, I wouldn't be surprised if those who drive the car a lot will come out ahead in a couple of years. And the warranty runs out in 4 years regardless of whether you have 1K or 50K miles on the car at that point.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:08 PM
motorwerksgroup
Burning Brakes

Received 393 Likes on 210 Posts
Default 6700 miles on mine since March. Driving it more and more

I'm now driving it even more. Averaging 800 miles/month. Rain or shine. Leaves all over it after a windy thunderstorm...
Attached Images  
Old 11-23-2015, 12:54 AM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

11 months of ownership and 10K miles coming up.
Old 11-23-2015, 01:28 AM
inactiveuser7616
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hfm
Screw resale value. I'm driving the hellouta my GT3 and loving every minute of it. I'm not saving the car for the next guy, there is no next guy until I'm dead. And, I'm not saving the car so the dealership can get a better deal from the next guy or for a trade-in, the car isn't for sale or for trade in. It's for my indefinite driving pleasure. The only time I care to becareful and not drive the car is because I'm going somewhere that I don't care to park it. I'm at 10.7k after 9 months.

Dan (is Ferris, not Cameron's dumb dad)
Bingo!
Old 11-23-2015, 08:44 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I will have about 4,600 miles on it after ~3 weeks in my possession after next weekend...
Old 11-23-2015, 08:54 AM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

3000 miles in the first 20 days.

OF course I am going to drive it when weather permits. We'll all be dead long enough, and if I wanted to collect something to look at I would buy art.

There is a reason why cars have wheels.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:15 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Just got word that the GT4 won't arrive till late February so that means 10k miles by end of February. Did 6000 in the first 5 weeks now it may, or may not be on a boat here. Not getting an answer from ED dept.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:17 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by sccchiii
Anyone who obsesses over resale value needs to just jump in your grave now....life is far to short. Drive the damn rods out the engine and enjoy the car, who gives a flying crap about resale value??????
Amen.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:24 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there will forever be bubble wrappers. i remember reading a guy on here saying his car had never been touched by human hands, having everyone wear gloves in the car. smdh
Old 11-23-2015, 04:53 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^
Crazy.

Perspective.... 25 years later (150,000+), these cars still rock!
Don't worry about miles; love this quote: "the miles you don't drive your 911, you don't get those back!"
Worry about getting enough fun for your $s.

Spread the love instead. These 8 yr/lds. loved how loud the car was, and laughed and giggled the whole way there and back. They even argued about who gets "shotgun"!

Old 11-23-2015, 05:14 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 889 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by motorwerksgroup
I'm now driving it even more. Averaging 800 miles/month. Rain or shine. Leaves all over it after a windy thunderstorm...
OMG, now you can't post in your for sale ad "never been in rain"!!!! LMAO

Best thing I ever did was get over the fear of mileage. I've put nearly 30k on my GT3 and all the life experience came with those miles is absolutely priceless to me. Meeting new friends, track days, driving some of the greatest roads on the west coast, seeing amazing scenery, getting up early and seeing the sunrise just for the sheer love of driving. There is no price anyone can put on that for me. I watched 4 friends die of cancer this year and I will not ever be one of those people who looks back with regrets. Life is short. Go out and f'ing live!
Old 11-23-2015, 05:41 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,750 Likes on 2,174 Posts

I can understand the desire to preserve a car as a thing of beauty, especially if it was a financial stretch to get it. But that doesn't make financial sense with most cars, considering inflation and opportunity cost. For me, I believe the /$ ratio is much higher when I actually drive cars, even accounting for a higher rate of depreciation.

My GT3 is now 10 months old and has over 16K miles on it, a third of them track miles.

Quick Reply: Ruining my resale value