Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TRAKCAR does ED

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 06:43 AM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Trakcar, if the weather continues as it has been, I really think you should just get the car with winter tires, do the drift course and enjoy the lack of traction. Spain, France, Italy, Portugal have been getting some weird out of the time rain, and it doesn't look like it will get that much better in these next months. Portimao is the only one you might get very lucky.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:19 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

Trakcar, as you know, i plan to ride your coat tails on this thread. I have an oct US allocation but I'm living in UK. I plan to maximize the time i can keep it in UK/Europe before sending it back to the states. I had no idea you could delay the shipment to US for months. I assumed you had a few days w/it. This is my first ED.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:51 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by beoliving
you should checkout this

http://www.gedlich.com/en/home.html#teaseranker4

Endless Summer Track Days during the winter season. That sounds super awesome!
i did an event with Gedlich in 2015 and I was planning to join them for the winter.

Originally Posted by RennOracle
Trakcar, if the weather continues as it has been, I really think you should just get the car with winter tires, do the drift course and enjoy the lack of traction. Spain, France, Italy, Portugal have been getting some weird out of the time rain, and it doesn't look like it will get that much better in these next months. Portimao is the only one you might get very lucky.
Thanks.

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
Trakcar, as you know, i plan to ride your coat tails on this thread. I have an oct US allocation but I'm living in UK. I plan to maximize the time i can keep it in UK/Europe before sending it back to the states. I had no idea you could delay the shipment to US for months. I assumed you had a few days w/it. This is my first ED.
I just got a call from my dealer.
Bad news. The ED program has been shortened to only 90 days. So no way to get back to the Ring. :-(

they are sending ding new documents.
I asked to pick it up later and he basically said that if I tried that, or PTS I would lose this allocation.

ill take it, but dissapointed...
Old 08-15-2018, 05:26 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Uggh. I was so excited about 6mos with the car before it headed to the states.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:07 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Old 08-15-2018, 06:10 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,685 Posts

Bummer, but you'll still have a great time.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:20 PM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,187 Likes on 545 Posts

That is bad news.

The 6 month max policy was in place to comply with the 19% German Value Added Tax (VAT) collection rules.
(The official German term for VAT is Umsatzsteuer (USt), but it was originally called Mehrwertsteuer (MwSt) and is often still referred to by this name.)

Exceeding 6 months or 6000km risked forfeiture of the USt check the US Dealer requires and holds until the car is exported to the US.

If you drive your RS to Slovenia and sell it, 6 months after your Euro delivery date, PCNA will send that 19% to the Bundesfinanzministerium (German tax authority).

The 6000km limit, according to the freight forwarder guy I dropped my ED vehicle with in Sindelfingen, is a "nudge,nudge", "wink, wink" thing that depends on the individual customs agent in the port of Emden. If you exceed the 6K km limit, re-setting your odometer to Miles from Kilometers will reduce the number displayed by .62, but if he is sharp, he may be deem it to be a violation and result in the forfeiture of your VAT.

I would inquire again, but skip your dealer and go right to PCNA. It may be above Jamie Dillon's pay grade, but never hurts to ask for a waiver to a "new" policy, as long as you will be in compliance with the German Federal Ministry of Finance VAT law limits.

I bought extra insurance through USAA, an actual Italian policy, to cover me for the 2 months (and 3.5K miles) I spent from Leipzig* through the Swiss/Austrian/Italian Alps and Tuscany. It was far cheaper than the PAG policy extension rate quoted. I was told to cancel it when returning back to Porsche, as their policy would cover it during shipment to the dealer I chose in the US.

Lastly, be advised that it is possible to have an alternate delivery to any dealer in the US at no additional charge (above the $1050 on the Monroney). Both dealers have to agree, but do not accept a "Cannot be done" answer from your purchasing dealer. I had Jamie educate my dealer in Minnesota (which I used only for a secific production slot). Took delivery in Atlanta and drove 8.5K miles cross-CONUS via 13 states and 8 National Parks to LA. Much more fun that a winter Minnesota or Honolulu (my home) delivery. I am on the hook for LA to Hawaii shipping cost, but may just keep it in SoCal and spare it a life of circling an island.

*Great FIA certified track there- superior to both USA PEC's- with no Armco barriers and ample runout areas beyond the curbing.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:59 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

^ Was thinking the same thing, 3rd party insurance although if something goes wrong more of a pain to sort it out than just letting Porsche handle it.

Peter, since we're in the same boat I'll let you know if I have any luck extending it. Seriously doubt it but will try. Also pulling together an aggregate list of track days for Nov/December. Slimmer pickings but still some options. Sadly the last day at Spa seems to coincide with the ring closing (13 Nov). Lots of days at Zandvoort and Zolder. I've raced at the former and liked it. But it'll be cold as sh*t that time of year near the ocean!

Still not sure how to handle getting to the southern tracks as I don't want to risk not having winter tires in Germany even for a short distance. One option could be just to buy a set of Cup2s near the first stop and have them store the winters till done tracking. Use up a set or three then put the winters back on if headed back to Germany to sleep till spring time.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:04 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Let’s keep in touch and share notes.
i brought both car back with 6000+ miles and nobody seemed to care.

i will email Jamie and ask WTF..
Old 08-15-2018, 08:43 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,685 Posts

This is how close I came to the 6,000 km limit in 28 days with my GT4

Old 08-15-2018, 09:02 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

Haha! Way to use up all the runway. I thought I was doing well close to 4k.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:32 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

I can’t compute
Brought RS and Macan back with 6K Miles..

Last edited by TRAKCAR; 08-22-2018 at 08:52 AM.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:19 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Let’s keep in touch and share notes.
i brought both car back with 6000+ miles and nobody seemed to care.

i will email Jamie and ask WTF..
Keep us posted.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:08 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

Grant: Cool!

From RSR today:

With the Nürburgring Nordschleife looking to be closed for most of October, especially for the last 2 weeks - so the questions is, how can you still get your driving fix?

Luckily, we have a few good options so you can get out on track!
8th October - Trackday - Nürburgring Nordschleife
16th October - RSR Premium Trackday - Dijon Prenois
17th October - RSR Premium Trackday - Dijon Prenois
19th October - Trackday - Nürburgring Nordschleife
20th October - RSRSpa Premium Trackday - Spa Francorchamps
24th October - Trackday - Spa Francorchamps
26th October - Trackday - Nürburgring Nordschleife
30th October - RSR Premium Trackday - Le Mans Bugatti
Old 08-22-2018, 07:53 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Did someone say ED? This thread brings back many fond memories... An amazing couple of weeks spent track hopping!

I hope you manage to negotiate a re-allocation to collect post winter Trakcar. Porsche will be doing themselves a favour to make this happen Bring on the lizard!!!

Quick Reply: TRAKCAR does ED