Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TRAKCAR does ED

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 12:15 PM
MTR
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Incredible trip. I applaud you for driving the car the way it was meant and not being scared to put one some miles. Can't wait to see it state side.

Mike
Old 10-28-2015, 02:51 PM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
nice one, chris!!!
what a great experience to have had.

and just as a reference....

Phillip Island hot lap in GT3 - YouTube
Haha... No worries Jimmy, paying credit where credit is due... I'm still blown away by how good it was even for a stick **** like me

As for that PI lap, a corner balance and track alignment and my instructor went high 1.42 on scrubbed MPSS... I'm a couple seconds off his time but running under that time there now... I'd say my instructor would go sub 1.40 in the RS, maybe even sub 1.39... Scary stuff! Hopefully he gets to benchmark one in two weeks time

Last edited by 911rox; 10-28-2015 at 03:07 PM.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:45 PM
DaveGordon
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Haha, Mr Purple scrubbed up pretty well!
Old 10-28-2015, 04:37 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had to be better than any mancation we've had before. glad you had a great time and stayed safe
Old 10-28-2015, 06:50 PM
GoHardGT3RS
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

@ Trackcar and all RS owners: Does it make sense to spend 3K€ on the lift system? Have you encountered situations where the car's height is a problem for the front spoiler? Many thanks for your opinion
Old 10-28-2015, 10:07 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by GoHardGT3RS
@ Trackcar and all RS owners: Does it make sense to spend 3K€ on the lift system? Have you encountered situations where the car's height is a problem for the front spoiler? Many thanks for your opinion
Going to get a variety of opinions and has been debated before! I feel the system is imperative. I live in Colorado and hills are everywhere with simple driveways difficult without the lift. There are many spots around town that would be brutal without the lift. Getting the car onto a Trailer or tow truck is infinitely easier with the system. I think Trakcar is in Florida the flattest state in the union.....including Kansas. The highest point in the State is a trash dump so I think many people in a similar situation feel it is not worth it's weight. I think if I was lucky enough to live in Florida and mostly used at the track I would not have specced the lift. After driving 2800Km in Europe with the car I can say I would not have made it into a single city garage without the lift and I am really glad I have it. Only my opinion of course!
Old 10-29-2015, 03:44 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DaveGordon
Haha, Mr Purple scrubbed up pretty well!
Mr Purple looked like new after BOES motorsport were done with it Dave! Five weeks of track battle just peeled away

They were a quality workshop, nothing was a problem for them!

Old 10-29-2015, 04:35 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
Regretfully sometimes great things must come to an end and yesterday they did in Stuttgart This post is a little late coming as I couldn’t log onto Rennlist for some weird reason…
Yesterday Pete and I returned Mr Purple (aka Cadbury) to the factory for the journey home. We then paid the Porsche and Mercedes museums a visit and finally parted ways this evening as Pete is due to fly home in the morning, I’ll be staying on an extra day to the factory tour…
I will post more photos and videos of our adventure (as I’m sure Pete will) once I’ve had a chance to sort through them…
My thoughts on the new 991RS… I went into this adventure with reservations about PDK. My main concerns were always (i) level of engagement and driving pleasure and (ii) reliability… I’ve also had my reservations about the new engine and direction taken by Porsche away from the old, proven platform.
I can honestly say that I’m walking away from this experience complete surprised-pleasantly!!! The RS is amazing! The sound is intoxicating, the pdk is faultless in it’s operation, the experience is engaging and after almost 6000 miles, I’m more at ease about the car’s ability to take a beating because we gave it one and it wore us down, not vice versa.
With the 991 RS Porsche have moved the game on considerably in terms of handling, grip and turn in. Having sat in the passenger’s seat for hundreds of laps over the past 10 days I feel qualified to say that with confidence. The chassis, electronics and rear steering give this car unbelievable turn in and ability to hold. Many times I thought there is no way my 997.2 could hold the Gs my butt was feeling. Push was minimal and it just went where pointed with the revised alignment! The ride phenomenal and compliant, yes a little rubbing at times but certainly nothing that took from the experience.
The PDK-S is phenomenal in its operation and equally engaging albeit in a different way… Did we miss the manual? I’d say almost certainly not from a driving pleasure point of view, it was great. It does need to be tracked in manual mode to get ideal shifts on technical tracks but Pete was smashing out great laps far sooner. I walked away thinking that since I already have a manual, maybe a PDK-S would be best for an future additions… My only concern that will remain until these cars have been around for some time is reliability. Will the box survive 10years or 100k km before needing replacement? Clearly a question that can’t be answered now but one I look forward to having answered in time as I love the way the new box works and wouldn’t mind one.
Braking? Typical Porsche-fantastic… interior and finish? Excellent… sound? In true GT style intoxicating… engine? It just pulled and roared. Heaps of power, plenty of lower end torque…
Looks? I’m a boring white man myself but felt white may not be my ideal choice for the new RS… Wasn’t sure how I felt about the UV in photos but having lived and breathed it for the past couple weeks, must say photos don’t do it justice. When clean it just pops and looks fantastic as we both witnessed today when 5 weeks of track battle were washed away! For me, having seen all four colours in our Euro escapades, I’d say UV and silver would be my choices. One downside to the UV though, it’s a crowd magnet… Every track we went, crowds flocked as it was rare and the only UV specimen we encountered with the exception of the Porsche test car. I hate attention but hey, what do you do…
I do hope they prove to be as reliable long term as they are brilliant now. Clearly a class act that I would love to own in time. I’m sure Pete will chime in, in due course with further thoughts and feedback once he gets home and settled.
I would like to thank Pete for giving me the opportunity to share in his adventure and for giving me the opportunity to experience this amazing car first hand. ED Trackcar style was bucket list stuff for me and I want to get back here in the future to do it again. We also had so many laughs and good times along the way that will ensure neither the adventure nor friendship are soon forgotten. A big shout out to all the Rennlisters we met along the way. It was amazing meeting you all and I loved my time in your playground! Cheers!!
Great write up Chris. The other way to approach it is like I and others have. Bought one new 2 years ago now, did ED and had a great month in Europe, sell it in a years time as the warranty expires = very little depreciation and 3 years (25,000 road Kms and 20 track days) of fun with no risk or mechanical cost. If the PDK-S or engine blows up in 10 years time then it is no concern to you. Waiting 5-10 years to get into one of these is madness I reckon, live now and keep an air-cooled or your 7GT3 for nostalgia later ?
Old 10-29-2015, 04:56 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macca
Great write up Chris. The other way to approach it is like I and others have. Bought one new 2 years ago now, did ED and had a great month in Europe, sell it in a years time as the warranty expires = very little depreciation and 3 years (25,000 road Kms and 20 track days) of fun with no risk or mechanical cost. If the PDK-S or engine blows up in 10 years time then it is no concern to you. Waiting 5-10 years to get into one of these is madness I reckon, live now and keep an air-cooled or your 7GT3 for nostalgia later ?
Agreed Macca, no plan to wait for that period of time to see how it pans out. I think any major issues will shake out quickly...

A PDK-S car will definitely be my next purchase alongside the 997.2... Quietly hoping that a PDK-S GT4 may soon be in the works At the prices we regretfully pay here an RS may prove to be a stretch if I want to keep the 997.2and we simply don't get enough organised track days to flog it...

What I did learn from this adventure is that if Porsche had given the option of manual or PDK, I would have gone the former and in the context of the current breed of cars that would have been the wrong choice...
Old 10-29-2015, 07:00 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox
Agreed Macca, no plan to wait for that period of time to see how it pans out. I think any major issues will shake out quickly... A PDK-S car will definitely be my next purchase alongside the 997.2... Quietly hoping that a PDK-S GT4 may soon be in the works At the prices we regretfully pay here an RS may prove to be a stretch if I want to keep the 997.2and we simply don't get enough organised track days to flog it... What I did learn from this adventure is that if Porsche had given the option of manual or PDK, I would have gone the former and in the context of the current breed of cars that would have been the wrong choice...
I feel the same about this generation GT Chris. And I would have chosen MT too. I can't justify the RS either. The GT3 is plenty for me. The 993 is a keeper as is your 7.2 GT3 I'm sure. You'll get your wish for the GT4 too I'm sure :-)
Old 10-29-2015, 07:13 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by GoHardGT3RS
I've just used my car with lift for a couple of days and it is so much more relaxing to drive it where I live (compared to my rather low 997 GT3 with Cup lip).
That alone is worth the money for me.

If the cup lips hits something it is not abig deal since it is rather soft.
The splitter on the GT3/RS are very sturdy and I would not like to hit stuff with it because I would be afraid of micro cracks in the front bumper. The front bumper is made of a material which I suspect will be difficult to mend properly so those cracks might translate to a lot of $.

And regarding flat Florida: I've seen a lot of driveways there which are very steep and a lift might be the solution.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:32 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

PI looks like a fantastic circuit! Who was the pro driver? Am always amazed at how anchored pros are in a standard seat with no harness while the passenger is flying around in their seat.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:58 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by brake dust
PI looks like a fantastic circuit! Who was the pro driver? Am always amazed at how anchored pros are in a standard seat with no harness while the passenger is flying around in their seat.
It's Luke Youlden, he's a V8 supercar enduro driver these days. Fantastic driver and instructor alike. He was setting a couple reference laps for me to work towards... Thus helmets off to make communication better. I've been in a 997.2 RS stock with MPSCs with him around there and he set a 1.43.1... He's been even faster in mine setting a time just under 1.43 with track alignment and half destroyed super sports... I'd say my car is good for a low 42, high 41 on MPSC2s...

Last edited by 911rox; 10-29-2015 at 09:15 AM.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:45 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

chris, how would you compare the new motor with the mezger?
besides the power difference, do they feel different in any other way?
Old 10-29-2015, 10:15 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
chris, how would you compare the new motor with the mezger?
besides the power difference, do they feel different in any other way?
The RS motor felt very punchy Jimmy and it had heaps of torque. It goes with urgency and it's very free revving, maybe even more so although that may be due to gearing (being 7 speed)... Only minor differences probably came down to a slightly different tone (mezger deeper sounding IMO) and a little more mechanical chatter from the mezger in comparison I felt

Quick Reply: TRAKCAR does ED