Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   TRAKCAR does ED (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/894337-trakcar-does-ed.html)

R.Deacon 10-26-2015 10:29 PM

Peter your handle " TRAKCAR " could not be anymore fitting to you, but to added to that, a character
so generous here with your time to share with all the RL brethren your adventures so candidly ,
really great stuff, Looking forward to seeing you and Mr. Purple at our ring , that would be SEBRING !
Cheers to safe travels

Spyerx 10-26-2015 10:58 PM

Peter so you're running the re10 and like? I've been using for about the last year and they do,last and Re very easy on rotors. I like these pads a lot. Of course we don't have tracks here other than aaa that are that hard on brakes. I'm using them with the Brembo type 3 and getting very good life. 991 rotors are much better than 997. I'd question a change unless running costs are less.

usctrojanGT3 10-26-2015 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Nizer (Post 12703026)
Bucket list stuff. Thanks for sharing.

+991 :rockon:

goin2drt 10-26-2015 11:35 PM

Awesome. Thanks for sharing the journey. I am exhausted, I need a beer.

Gnil 10-27-2015 04:53 AM

Peter,
I just spoke with a Swiss driver who raced his RS in the Swiss Porsche cup last week end in Magny-Cours .
He RAISED his car and left all other alignements and camber stock ( that is the best setting for him at the moment ) , managed his best lap in 1.51.9

brake dust 10-27-2015 07:05 AM

Epic ED - one for the record books!

Haku 10-27-2015 07:14 AM

Thank you for sharing your journey.

Ur20v 10-27-2015 08:17 AM

Looks like you were pushing enough and very well considering lap experience- as you said the next level is a big step away as you need to drop any safety net which is hard at the ring due to lack of run off and changeable weather/track conditions due to the long length of the track/lap and shaded areas etc.

Just glad you, Chris and UV are all safe and sound, from experience it must be a relief to finally hang up the keys on this adventure.... don't worry like malaria the Ring is now in your blood and will resurface :)

Think we would all appreciate one more step- after consideration do a sum up of the trip, the highs, the lows, the car, your new friends, the countries and anything you would add or change if you had the chance again. And the thorny (for some) question on how you rate the pdk, did you miss the stick/manual or was the pdk now a non-issue or even a positive for you...

race7117 10-27-2015 11:33 AM

I got no where near those lap times, good on ya. Great stories and wish I could have met up with you! Hopefully I'll get down to Winterfest at Sebring in January

Kobalt 10-27-2015 11:53 AM

Just for you TRAKCAR:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Masstab-1-18...UAAOSwYHxWLlDi

Nodrip 10-27-2015 11:57 AM

Thanks for the little meeting, it was nice to share some feedback on cars/brake!
The trackday was good considering the weather and the low traffic. Only the sun was killing the vision at the end : I just couldn't see the carousel!

Chris3963 10-27-2015 03:37 PM

I have been checking this thread on a daily basis for updates to your ongoing journey. It's been a fascinating and enjoyable read.

It would great if, as a closing entry, you could publish a summary of the tracks you visited, number of laps per track, which one like the best, etc.

aussie jimmy 10-27-2015 08:37 PM

thank you for sharing your trip, peter!
a great mancation!
question is; will 'coach' chris be buying an rs now? :typing:

911rox 10-28-2015 02:49 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Regretfully sometimes great things must come to an end and yesterday they did in Stuttgart :( This post is a little late coming as I couldn’t log onto Rennlist for some weird reason…
Yesterday Pete and I returned Mr Purple (aka Cadbury) to the factory for the journey home. We then paid the Porsche and Mercedes museums a visit and finally parted ways this evening as Pete is due to fly home in the morning, I’ll be staying on an extra day to the factory tour…
I will post more photos and videos of our adventure (as I’m sure Pete will) once I’ve had a chance to sort through them…
My thoughts on the new 991RS… I went into this adventure with reservations about PDK. My main concerns were always (i) level of engagement and driving pleasure and (ii) reliability… I’ve also had my reservations about the new engine and direction taken by Porsche away from the old, proven platform.
I can honestly say that I’m walking away from this experience complete surprised-pleasantly!!! The RS is amazing! The sound is intoxicating, the pdk is faultless in it’s operation, the experience is engaging and after almost 6000 miles, I’m more at ease about the car’s ability to take a beating because we gave it one and it wore us down, not vice versa.
With the 991 RS Porsche have moved the game on considerably in terms of handling, grip and turn in. Having sat in the passenger’s seat for hundreds of laps over the past 10 days I feel qualified to say that with confidence. The chassis, electronics and rear steering give this car unbelievable turn in and ability to hold. Many times I thought there is no way my 997.2 could hold the Gs my butt was feeling. Push was minimal and it just went where pointed with the revised alignment! The ride phenomenal and compliant, yes a little rubbing at times but certainly nothing that took from the experience.
The PDK-S is phenomenal in its operation and equally engaging albeit in a different way… Did we miss the manual? I’d say almost certainly not from a driving pleasure point of view, it was great. It does need to be tracked in manual mode to get ideal shifts on technical tracks but Pete was smashing out great laps far sooner. I walked away thinking that since I already have a manual, maybe a PDK-S would be best for an future additions… My only concern that will remain until these cars have been around for some time is reliability. Will the box survive 10years or 100k km before needing replacement? Clearly a question that can’t be answered now but one I look forward to having answered in time as I love the way the new box works and wouldn’t mind one.
Braking? Typical Porsche-fantastic… interior and finish? Excellent… sound? In true GT style intoxicating… engine? It just pulled and roared. Heaps of power, plenty of lower end torque…
Looks? I’m a boring white man myself but felt white may not be my ideal choice for the new RS… Wasn’t sure how I felt about the UV in photos but having lived and breathed it for the past couple weeks, must say photos don’t do it justice. When clean it just pops and looks fantastic as we both witnessed today when 5 weeks of track battle were washed away! For me, having seen all four colours in our Euro escapades, I’d say UV and silver would be my choices. One downside to the UV though, it’s a crowd magnet… Every track we went, crowds flocked as it was rare and the only UV specimen we encountered with the exception of the Porsche test car. I hate attention but hey, what do you do… :thumbsup:
I do hope they prove to be as reliable long term as they are brilliant now. Clearly a class act that I would love to own in time. I’m sure Pete will chime in, in due course with further thoughts and feedback once he gets home and settled.
I would like to thank Pete for giving me the opportunity to share in his adventure and for giving me the opportunity to experience this amazing car first hand. ED Trackcar style was bucket list stuff for me and I want to get back here in the future to do it again. We also had so many laughs and good times along the way that will ensure neither the adventure nor friendship are soon forgotten. A big shout out to all the Rennlisters we met along the way. It was amazing meeting you all and I loved my time in your playground! Cheers!!

aussie jimmy 10-28-2015 10:42 AM

nice one, chris!!!
what a great experience to have had.

and just as a reference....