Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TRAKCAR does ED

Old 10-09-2015, 02:54 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,585 Likes on 733 Posts

Thanks Macca.
I think the front can do with a bit less because they seem to last good - but still wear outside.

Rears are about to cord I think. Will find out later today/tomorrow.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:40 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Replaced tires.
Looked like new to me but outside rears are wearing very thin. You can push on it with your finger and feel inside. Michelin guy says run 2PSI lower, so 30 all around. Goes counter to making the outside edge last longer, but than everything seems opposite on this car. Michelin guy seemed sure that I would cord in the next session or two when I proposed to change them tomorrow.

I put 4 new tires on, just because I have enough.
Rear 2 tires; The fronts looked even better:
Attached Images   
Old 10-09-2015, 01:44 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Nice Michelin setup following around the Porsche Club
Attached Images     
Old 10-09-2015, 01:45 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Rubbing front:
Attached Images    
Old 10-09-2015, 01:46 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Rear barely touched.
Attached Images  
Old 10-09-2015, 02:02 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

Tires look to be in good shape from those photos, esp given how many sessions you have done.

How are you liking the track?
Old 10-09-2015, 02:10 PM
denis59
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,got my RS last friday put 1900 km on Her this week.
Will Track her tomorrow did Track geometry yesterday
Caster change a lot when increasing camber
Got 2.85 front and 2.15 rear maximum for the moment caster 9.7
Will see this week end
Stock settings front1.4 rear 1.3 Caster 9.05
My wife own a 991gt3 there is many big differences between them
Very excited to drive Her on track
Denis
Old 10-09-2015, 02:11 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Yes, I know they look good, its just the very outer edge of one rear tire. The rest OK.
They are really great tires, if we could make them wear evenly they'd last forever.
I did about 20 laps at the Ring, 8 hours at Spa, 4 hours at the Red Bull Ring and one hour today at Paul Ricard.

Paul Ricard is great, its a very nice facility and the Porsche Club guys are very welcoming.
The track has a flow to it, but to go fastest you have to follow some inside curved and wait for throttle. Initially it all looked the same but I started to string it together where tomorrow I can experiment a bit to see what's quicker.

Great track to push hard and quick. Safe. Made me a bit ragged today and without marks and being a big wide track its easy to overcook into corners, but the last session I ran a 2:30 and there is more to be had tomorrow, depending on how these fresh tires do..

A local guy told me the lap time is OK, not sure what I am supposed to run here, except I passed everyone so far, but that's RS
Old 10-09-2015, 02:14 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by denis59
Hello,got my RS last friday put 1900 km on Her this week.
Will Track her tomorrow did Track geometry yesterday
Caster change a lot when increasing camber
Got 2.85 front and 2.15 rear maximum for the moment caster 9.7
Will see this week end
Stock settings front1.4 rear 1.3 Caster 9.05
My wife own a 991gt3 there is many big differences between them
Very excited to drive Her on track
Denis
Thank you for the data points denis59!
If I get the car back on an alignment rack I will try more camber rear (-3) and see if they can create les caster front.

the car drives fine, its just that crazy tire wear on the outside?!

Last edited by TRAKCAR; 10-09-2015 at 02:39 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:39 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Lots of traffic but this was a clean lap and the best lap today with Mrs TRAKCAR catching the GPS receiver and trying to put it back on the dash but the seat belt was locked LOL.
But good effort and she did put it back and it stayed put in traffic the rest of the run
Changed the fish eye lens and put an external microphone in my I phone and stuffed the microphone in the seat edge. You could say its butt muffled.

Old 10-09-2015, 03:04 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Yes, I know they look good, its just the very outer edge of one rear tire. The rest OK.
They are really great tires, if we could make them wear evenly they'd last forever.
I did about 20 laps at the Ring, 8 hours at Spa, 4 hours at the Red Bull Ring and one hour today at Paul Ricard.

Paul Ricard is great, its a very nice facility and the Porsche Club guys are very welcoming.
The track has a flow to it, but to go fastest you have to follow some inside curved and wait for throttle. Initially it all looked the same but I started to string it together where tomorrow I can experiment a bit to see what's quicker.

Great track to push hard and quick. Safe. Made me a bit ragged today and without marks and being a big wide track its easy to overcook into corners, but the last session I ran a 2:30 and there is more to be had tomorrow, depending on how these fresh tires do..

A local guy told me the lap time is OK, not sure what I am supposed to run here, except I passed everyone so far, but that's RS

I still believe your wear is closer to even than you think. I think we are all using normal tire knowledge (like from prior MPSC tires) and are getting fooled. If one is to measure a brand new MPSC2 across the tread, the outer shoulder tread depth is much less than the rest, as it tapers down. I am curious to know whether you had even wear, say 5/32 across the board, and now the outer shoulder is worn out. This would make the tire look "worn out " for the track, but safe to drive home (as compared to nearly bald and unsafe for driving home like a prior gen MPSC). My brother had his MPSC2 shaved and heat cycled by tire rack. They came with 5/32 left across the tire when delivered. They have worn equal to the heat cycling (which is what he was going for). Most here have reported the tires heat cycling out before totally worn out. I wonder if Michelin hasn't done this on purpose, and there is no way to set enough camber to counter it, as it is a safety measure. Thoughts???
Old 10-09-2015, 03:26 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Exactly.

I made this similar comment to several people today; The tire is about to cord/worn out for tracking the car, yet perfectly fine to drive the car 500Km home as per this car / tire combination design brief. Maybe it's supposed to be this way.
My next tire change is at Hockenheim with 6 track days before then.
Including Hockenheim, only 3 more on the last set, so I'll make it easy on 3 sets, probably could have made it on 2
Old 10-09-2015, 03:45 PM
996CAB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not seen it mentioned here however could the RWS be a contributing factor here. If you watch the video below there are points where the rear can be viewed at closer range - 3:05 onwards - though you do have to disregard the usual drifting etc which is just silly IMO...though makes for an 'entertaining' video I suppose.

Anyway, my hunch here is that the RWS needs to be understood in terms of its effect on tire wear and what alignment may be best to counter its effect. I suspect dynamic negative camber has been minimised/negated as a results of RWS and that in turn means the wheel is stood up during the cornering phase and thus the outside tire tread then takes most of the beaten...just a hunch as I say.

Last edited by 996CAB; 10-09-2015 at 05:21 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:47 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Sorry, didn't mean to suggest they were still good, just a surprising amount of tread left for how much track time you have done. I am going to measure my new Cup2s across the tread so I have a baseline.

Thanks for the comments on the track, great facility, runoff areas really let you push with confidence.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:19 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 996CAB
Not seen it mentioned here however could the RWS be a contributing factor here. If you watch the video below there are points were the rear can be viewed at closer range - 3:05 onwards - though you do have to disregard the usual drifting etc which is just silly IMO...though makes for an 'entertaining' video I suppose.

Anyway, my hunch here is that the RWS needs to be understood in terms of its effect on tire wear and what alignment may be best to counter its effect. I suspect dynamic negative camber has been minimised/negated as a results of RWS and that in turn means the wheel is stood up during the cornering phase and thus the outside tire tread then takes most of the beaten...just a hunch as I say.

Yes, almost everyone I discussed the tire wear with refers to the RWS voodoo stuff happening regarding tire wear. And nobody knows what to do with it. So it could very well be that the camber thing does nothing or is even worse for tire wear or performance. It would be nice if Porsche explained us why / how regarding track settings.

Originally Posted by signes
Sorry, didn't mean to suggest they were still good, just a surprising amount of tread left for how much track time you have done. I am going to measure my new Cup2s across the tread so I have a baseline.

Thanks for the comments on the track, great facility, runoff areas really let you push with confidence.
No need, I agree, I want to have them last longer and there seems to still be a ton of rubber on the tire but that's how they seem to work and they last long enough it seems.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TRAKCAR does ED