Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TRAKCAR does ED

Old 09-27-2015, 10:09 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadaRS
I got to say, i was never a fan of black wheels on a RS unless the car was black, green or silver. Well, now the purple has joined the ranks of RS porsches that look hot on black wheels!

Very cool!
Old 09-27-2015, 10:30 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Ur20v
You need to be careful with photos at the ring - have you seen the rather large genitals in one of yours Peter?
No, not yet...
I have to say Mrs TRAKCAR and I didn't know what to do with ourselves today, all day big groups around the car, we are photographed 1000x ?! I would have worn a clean polo shirt had I known. You want to be a rockstar? Get a purple RS and go to the Ring. Crazy!

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
Thanks for posting that video Trakcar, not only do you own an amazing RS, but I think it is totally cool that your wife is a willing accomplice. Not many can say they have both!

Looks like you stayed safe and car is in one piece. Kudos, not easy when people go by. I know. In my case is was Renaults and like passing me! But reality is they know the circuit and keep it hammered down on those blind turns. Nearly impossible to do safely for us newbees. After running that course I came up with an invention - The Audible Coach - a computer generator voice that would let you know what is up ahead. The car would say "Peter, brake zone ahead". Or, "faster, you are 5mph slower than your reference". How hard would that be to do? - Harry are you listening, perhap your next update?

By the way, how did you get those incredible pictures of your car - especially the ones that appear taken from the track???
Haha you are on to something! It would be useful for sure, in a way Kobalt did exactly that for me :-)
Plenty of econo boxes flew by me :-) I worked hard not to be "that guy" and stay out of their way to follow and learn if I even could.

I just want to take it in, did four laps today, Mrs TRAKCAR had good reason to be scared so we called it after 4 laps. Not worth it and I was done trying the cars's settings and pressures anyway.

Originally Posted by Nizer
You're playing it smart Peter. Save the pushing for home track or the parking-lot Paul Ricard circuit where risk is minimal. Bring it home in one piece; plenty of time for stupid down the road.
No pushing, just learning, I'm assuming today was by far the most dangerous track day I'll ever do. Our Supersolo sessions where things are kinda allowed and under control with open passing came in handy today!!
Trusted no one, drove in my mirrors and was prepared for the worst all day, yellow flags all day many crashes, everywhere. pure chaos.

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
This is so awesome, loving following your adventure.
Thank you and likewise.

Originally Posted by Manifold
With the regular 991 GT3, I know several experienced drivers who took a while to get used to the car, and some of them were initially slower in the 991 GT3 than their prior 997 GT3. I myself was slow in the 991 GT3 when I tracked the car for the first time at VIR, mainly because I didn't want to wreck my expensive beautiful new car at my first event (and I had no track insurance at the time). Some things that helped me:

- Rode with three other 991 GT3 drivers who were faster than me.
- Early on, took the car to a smaller local track where I could push it much harder and get a sense of the limits by doing some controlled overdriving.
- Spent an hour on a semi-wet skidpad with stability control both on and off.
- Eventually got track insurance, roll bar, harnesses, and HANS.

I'm now at about 4K track miles on the car at a variety of tracks, and one thing I've learned is that the car is particularly good at finding more grip if you lean on it harder, so often the best response when seemingly coming into a corner a bit hot, rather than attempting to throttle steer, is to add some steering input and throttle, which makes the car dig in, plants the rear, holds the line, and increases speed. Of course there's still a limit, and this is only a general statement, so please experiment with this incrementally where safe to do so!
We did 4 laps in the insanity of tourist Fahren on a beautiful day on DTM weekend. Hundreds of cars lining up to go on track. At one point we were standing still! For a traffic jam caused by local yellow... It was enough to find out the front of the car was too low, it rubs on compression but couldn't tell if it affected handling. If possible I raise it back up tomorrow. The camber I could not feel. Tires still look like new. Just not driving hard enough to find out anything but it's not too bad anyway.

As soon as we leave the 3rd world internet connection hotel I'll upload. We raised the venerable a bit for better view but now there was a rattle noise coming into the video that's the phone itself in the mount I think. The grinding sounds bad in the video when we bottom out but it's barely touching the fender liners I bet. Plus if you have no holes in your fender liners you don't have a GT3 or or don't drive it hard enough.....

Did confirm that the tire pressures need to be low. I ran the front up to 36 and the rear to 40 and it was bad. But it started getting bad at about 36.

I dropped them to 30F and 33R and that was fine. Ideal my guess is 29/30 F 30/32 R. That's all I have for now.

We survived today, tomorrow we go back to the safety of a private track day!!
Now watching CUP cars from our balcony and going for coffee and cake then register for tomorrow...
Attached Images  
Old 09-27-2015, 10:54 AM
ElectricChair
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 93 Posts

Thanks for sharing your experience and photos.

Awesome thread
Old 09-27-2015, 10:54 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Peterfirst
Hi Peter:

Was great talking to you today and hopefully you did like your "stardom" . Also I hope you managed to gete some safe laps in the tourist traffic. Guess you learn a lot the next two days and I am looking forward to more training in Spa. NBR is hairy but you also need some ***** in Spa for some of the fast corners - but I promise tons of fun.

Take care and see you @ Spa!

BR

Peter
Not enjoying stardom haha.
It was very hairy, but we been there done that and survived it.

See you Wednesday :-)
Old 09-27-2015, 11:57 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

eau rouge.
Old 09-27-2015, 01:04 PM
Peterfirst
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aussie jimmy
eau rouge.
Rather Blanchimont
Old 09-27-2015, 01:45 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just home from a spirited drive and couldn't wait to get your updates, Peter. I'm thoroughly enjoying reading about your travels and track experience. Kuddo's to the Mrs.
Old 09-27-2015, 02:39 PM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
You're playing it smart Peter. Save the pushing for home track or the parking-lot Paul Ricard circuit where risk is minimal. Bring it home in one piece; plenty of time for stupid down the road.
Agreed! Especially since his safety equipment like harnesses, rollbar etc. are/were still stuck in customs. He even tried to avoid all that by shipping that stuff early if I remember correctly, sometimes you just can't win. Hopefully, it'll all be ready to be put in by the Manthey guys

Peter, this thread is so much fun, keep posting away, I'm loving living vicariously through you!
Old 09-27-2015, 05:35 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Not enjoying stardom haha.
It was very hairy, but we been there done that and survived it.

See you Wednesday :-)
So jealous of your trip and really kicking myself for not being able to join you at Spa next week. At least one full truck of cars from Sweden. Have fun and be safe.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:33 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

This is much better than any media review. Incredible. Glad you are enjoying yourself, and living life.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:47 AM
dane1984
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have seen your RS yesrerday at the Ring!
Congrats, the car looks amazing. Purple ist THE color for the 991RS !
Old 09-28-2015, 05:17 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This should have been made into a documentary.

Hope you get to take in the local country side (roads) around the ring- ask the locals where the best driver /picturesque roads are and tip head to Rudesheim am Rhein for a coffee and strudle.

My favorite pic is the one with the one with the 2x VW badges painted on the track, your RS looks lovely!
Old 09-28-2015, 07:02 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

Trakcar in action:

Old 09-28-2015, 08:22 AM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 75 Posts

Did see my friends Ferrari in this thread, garage at Dorint. This Is his Pirelli trofeo r....

He was happy it did not explode at track. It blew outside track at döttinger gasstation Ed:s. Many person having problems on pirelli. Mpsc2 is much more solid tire!

Old 09-28-2015, 08:52 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

Doublechecking my tires now...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TRAKCAR does ED