Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Porsche GT3 with manual

Old 10-09-2015, 08:43 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by MileHigh911
If Porsche does a limited run production of this, then it is almost more of a slap in the face anyway. Won't be able to get your hands on one, and then it will be too expensive to track and have fun with it. It is a lose-lose scenario. Now, if they made an unlimited amount, and it truly was a bare-bones car, like a GTS without back seats, no radio, optional A/C, etc, then I would buy one to add to my stable, not replace my GT3. I think it will be limited, and the 918 guys will buy them all. So in the end, the fantasy is just a poster car.
This just appeared up on the Porsche website. I wonder if this is what the 911R speculation was about? Basically, just a manual only GTS edition?

http://porscherennsportreunion.com/911exclusive/
Old 10-09-2015, 09:52 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
This just appeared up on the Porsche website. I wonder if this is what the 911R speculation was about? Basically, just a manual only GTS edition?

Hope not
Old 10-09-2015, 10:09 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting

Not from what I'm hearing at factory but the original 911R article in this thread was odd in saying they were already "sold out" (which as you reference might have been confusion with this rennsport edition)? Hard to sell out of something that doesn't exist yet? Although future deposits on air are commanding big money these days at dealerships.
Old 10-10-2015, 02:57 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
I like this guy. I agree. It's not about the engine spinning too fast for a manual. That's marketing BS to favor the PDK. I bet the 991 GT3 would've been great with a good 6 speed! Not that it isn't great now,don't get me wrong...
You have far faster reaction time than I. Hats off!
Old 10-15-2015, 01:52 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,700 Likes on 2,681 Posts

Originally Posted by doubleurx
You have far faster reaction time than I. Hats off!
With a 6 speed manual instead of 7spd pdk, shifts would come less frequently.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:56 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
With a 6 speed manual instead of 7spd pdk, shifts would come less frequently.
Grant,how's that GT4 treating you?
I'd love to read a few lines about the car from you! Any chance we can see that on the GT4 forum?
Old 10-15-2015, 02:53 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 543 Posts

I really hope this rumor is not something we started ourselves - like the GT4 + PDK street car rumor that was picked up by big media.....
Old 10-16-2015, 12:32 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Grant,how's that GT4 treating you?
I'd love to read a few lines about the car from you! Any chance we can see that on the GT4 forum?
Very well, thanks! Euro Delivery has been a blast (delivered together with Trakcar's UV RS and some intersections of our trips along the way).

Been loving shifting too, btw. The tall gearing really suits the European environment, but will probably feel less suited to home when it returns.

On some very tight uphill switchbacks in Switzerland I found the best way to hit them was a combination of manually double-clutching and using the auto rev-match to go into first gear - just like butter. So, clutch in, shift to neutral, clutch out, manually blip throttle, clutch in, shift to first, clutch out (with Sport button On the whole time). Not as complicated in practice as it sounds and works great. Gearbox will go into first at moderate speed without the double-clutch, but not as smoothly and feels much more mechanically kind this way.

Very fun car and LWB's have been perfectly comfortable (using small inflatable lumbar cushion) for extended touring.

Always wanted to do ED and wish I'd done it sooner. Looking for more excuses to do it again soon!

Last edited by GrantG; 10-16-2015 at 01:14 PM.
Old 10-16-2015, 02:01 PM
St8haus
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Hello All! First post here...long time Porsche lover!

I have heard from a very credible source that the 991.2 GT3 will be N/A and offered in a manual or PDK (this was due to the US having a less than favorable response to the elimination of the manual); while the 991.2 GT3RS will only come in a PDK.

I currently have a 2016 GT3 on order and have been really trying to figure out if the changes to the 991.2 GT3 will be so significant that I will regret buying the 2016. As some stated, I don't think the changes will be major, but would love to hear peoples thoughts!

Thanks in advance and I am stoked to be able to talk Porsche's now! I should have joined a LONG time ago
Old 10-16-2015, 02:21 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 997.2 GTS
Hello All! First post here...long time Porsche lover!

I have heard from a very credible source that the 991.2 GT3 will be N/A and offered in a manual or PDK (this was due to the US having a less than favorable response to the elimination of the manual); while the 991.2 GT3RS will only come in a PDK.

I currently have a 2016 GT3 on order and have been really trying to figure out if the changes to the 991.2 GT3 will be so significant that I will regret buying the 2016. As some stated, I don't think the changes will be major, but would love to hear peoples thoughts!

Thanks in advance and I am stoked to be able to talk Porsche's now! I should have joined a LONG time ago
I think if you like the PDK, get the 2016 as it's a sure bet. I doubt the car will change that much. If it's an issue between a possible manual, then obviously wait.
Old 10-16-2015, 04:11 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
I really hope this rumor is not something we started ourselves - like the GT4 + PDK street car rumor that was picked up by big media.....
we are definitely the tail wagging the dog... not just in helping to generate fiction-filled articles in magazines, but also in helping to generate quotes attributed to porsche execs (like AP) which take on a life of themselves... except its becoming more like the dog biting it's own tail.. we are now quoting from articles which are quoting this forum... LOL!

From the R&T article...
The model will reportedly be unveiled next June as a 2017 model year, and it will be made in an exclusive, limited run between 600 and 800 copies. We would usually recommend saving some cash by now, but the Porsche fan-site states that the model is already sold-out. So, yeah; tough luck –

pure awesomeness...
Old 10-16-2015, 04:42 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Very well, thanks! Euro Delivery has been a blast (delivered together with Trakcar's UV RS and some intersections of our trips along the way). Been loving shifting too, btw. The tall gearing really suits the European environment, but will probably feel less suited to home when it returns. On some very tight uphill switchbacks in Switzerland I found the best way to hit them was a combination of manually double-clutching and using the auto rev-match to go into first gear - just like butter. So, clutch in, shift to neutral, clutch out, manually blip throttle, clutch in, shift to first, clutch out (with Sport button On the whole time). Not as complicated in practice as it sounds and works great. Gearbox will go into first at moderate speed without the double-clutch, but not as smoothly and feels much more mechanically kind this way. Very fun car and LWB's have been perfectly comfortable (using small inflatable lumbar cushion) for extended touring. Always wanted to do ED and wish I'd done it sooner. Looking for more excuses to do it again soon!
Awesome!

Well,I can " smell " mine already!
Old 10-16-2015, 06:02 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,788 Likes on 2,157 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
we are definitely the tail wagging the dog... not just in helping to generate fiction-filled articles in magazines, but also in helping to generate quotes attributed to porsche execs (like AP) which take on a life of themselves... except its becoming more like the dog biting it's own tail.. we are now quoting from articles which are quoting this forum... LOL!

From the R&T article...
The model will reportedly be unveiled next June as a 2017 model year, and it will be made in an exclusive, limited run between 600 and 800 copies. We would usually recommend saving some cash by now, but the Porsche fan-site states that the model is already sold-out. So, yeah; tough luck –

pure awesomeness...
Who cares...let the 918 owners draw straws for the cars. I have ZERO interest in buying the car at MSRP let alone any premium over MSRP.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:43 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Awesome!

Well,I can " smell " mine already!
Great - you'll really enjoy it!
Old 10-16-2015, 10:50 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

To speculate (I know covered, but foggy) ....

2018 991.2 GT3 orders begin in Spring or Fall of 2017? .2 deposits already being taken. Yipes!

Deliveries for 991.2 GT3's??

Heard from my dealer as previously mentioned no 991.1 GT3 production past this Dec.

Will 991.2 be the last NA GT3?

Last edited by STG; 10-17-2015 at 12:34 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2018 Porsche GT3 with manual