Sponsored by:

Clear bra questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 04:00 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts
Default Clear bra questions

Going to get Xpel on my newly delivered GT3, plan is full front plus rockers and back of rear fenders. Questions:
-Installer said he would remove the lights to wrap edges but not remove the front grills and would cut to the edge of those - have any of you getting the full front wrap do it this way?
-For the rocker/rear fender, where do you recommend stopping? Not crazy about lines but don't want to wrap the whole rear either.

Also not doing lights...
Old 09-09-2015, 04:45 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,765 Likes on 4,768 Posts

Originally Posted by signes
Going to get Xpel on my newly delivered GT3, plan is full front plus rockers and back of rear fenders. Questions:
-Installer said he would remove the lights to wrap edges but not remove the front grills and would cut to the edge of those - have any of you getting the full front wrap do it this way?
-For the rocker/rear fender, where do you recommend stopping? Not crazy about lines but don't want to wrap the whole rear either.

Also not doing lights...
Hard to answer without knowing how much you're being charged, and what your tolerance for lines at the edges are.

Removing the headlight unit to wrap the edges is nice b/c that's a very visible area where, if there are lines, you'll see them every time you open the frunk.

The front grill, however, is so low and in a rather inconspicuous spot that unless you're straining your neck to see the edge of the PPF, 99% of the time you don't a rat's *** whether its wrapped or laser cut to the edge.

But then some folks are super **** about these things and demand that there be no lines anywhere. That's all fine and good, but it just means a more expensive (and time intensive) install.

So without knowing how much you're being charged, hard to say whether what your installer is recommending is good or not.

As to the rear rocker panels, you can either mimic what the OEM lines, or do the entire rear quarter panel. I would do the latter if the cost is within reason.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:49 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I had Expel installed on entire front end, fenders, rocker panels, wheel wells and rear fenders. My installer also removed headlights and did a great job, no visible seams.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:20 PM
Dude-
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had my installer do expel too. It was laser cut. I prefer the laser cut over hand cut, the handling of the laser cut reduce prism effect significantly from my experience. It has to do with more material flapping around with whole sheets as I was told.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:41 PM
NMM991
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just purchased a black Panamera GTS and had the whole car but the rood wrapped with Xpel. Roof panel too large. I amazed how good it looked, very hard to find the lines on the "jet black" car. The only reason I did it was to minimize swirl marks so visible on many black or darker colored cars. The new Xpel is great, and it truly does "heal" minor imperfections.

For good measure I also Opticoated the car - probably over the top, but I swore I would never buy another black car until I saw this one.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:57 PM
OCturbo
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My xpel installer only removed the headlights (nothing else) and it looks great. Sounds like that is the way to go
Old 09-09-2015, 10:29 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the replies guys. Ipse, they are quoting $1900 for what I outlined above.

Didn't realize laser cut was an option. Does the installer order a pattern for the GT3 from a distributor?
Old 09-09-2015, 10:34 PM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by OCturbo
My xpel installer only removed the headlights (nothing else) and it looks great. Sounds like that is the way to go
same for me, you can spot the lines around the grills if you look but i don't notice. my installer also wrapped the a pillar and front 6 in of roof. yes there are lines if you look, same for the rear fender and bottom of doors but on my sapphire blue they are not very noticeable. xpel laser cut.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:47 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Yes forgot to add also getting pillars and mirrors. The price includes 12" of roof but not sure I want the line.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:51 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,765 Likes on 4,768 Posts

Originally Posted by signes
Thanks for the replies guys. Ipse, they are quoting $1900 for what I outlined above.

Didn't realize laser cut was an option. Does the installer order a pattern for the GT3 from a distributor?
That seems like a fair price.

It's computerized, so they just plug in the car, make, model, year, etc. and the laser plotting machine basically spits out a skin that fits over the part of the car in question.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:57 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
That seems like a fair price.

It's computerized, so they just plug in the car, make, model, year, etc. and the laser plotting machine basically spits out a skin that fits over the part of the car in question.
Thanks. I'll ask my installer if he will order the pieces.
Old 09-10-2015, 01:56 AM
pdudek
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find wrapping the edges especially around the front is important to me at least. The wrap will absorb impact from small rocks and therefore leave no marks in those instances.

I've noticed on many cars where laser cut bra is installed specifically on the front that rocks will find its way to the exposed edges and cause damage (primer exposed).

I typically have the edges along the entire front wrapped including behind the headlights. The rear I'm not as fussy about. A good installer with laser cut bar can do wonders in the back and the edges won't be visible unless looking up close.

For me the main purpose of clear bra is to provide the best possible paint protection.

There is some personal preference at play here as well.

Quick Reply: Clear bra questions