Sponsored by:

WTF is the angst over turbos?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 12:00 AM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 198 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
Kind of off topic, but I think the gt3s are the only modern Porsche to match or exceed the 993(and earlier air cooled) character and driving experience
I know I'm in the minority around here, but I don't think any of the current water cooled cars get close to the air cooled cars in terms of character/experience. The GT3s outdo the remainder of the stable of course, but I had the most fun in the 993.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:09 AM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
I know I'm in the minority around here, but I don't think any of the current water cooled cars get close to the air cooled cars in terms of character/experience. The GT3s outdo the remainder of the stable of course, but I had the most fun in the 993.
Having driven a extremely well sorted, 79 sc extensively, I couldn't agree more.
What a machine.
Man and machine at its finest. Soooo much fun w that machine. Best fun you can have w/ clothes on.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:20 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
Nissan's turbo 1.5L is 10 hp per 1kg (or roughly 4.5 per lb) - I don't think there is a single NA engine that comes near it. I'm sure it lags badly, but it's been solved with hybrid use. The gap at high end motorsports is huge now for turbos vs N/A.
That is quite a high point, but keep in mind it's a race engine that needs to be compared with other race engines. F1 V8s were down to 4 hp per pound in 2006, but it's not entirely clear what they were really capable of. Rules limited weight to 209 lbs, and it's clear they would have been lighter still without this limitation.
Originally Posted by NateOZ
Happy to leave politics out, but it is the number 1 driver behind the entire shift, seems odd to have a comprehensive debate ignoring it.
It's fine to say the change is politically driven- we know that. It's fine to say you disagree with those politics. However launching into a diatribe over the science and making a case for a candidate is the definition of both political and controversial, and it's banned per forum rules. There's a forum for that: https://rennlist.com/forums/politics...ntroversy-212/ It's not here. You want to continue that debate you can do so without me.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:22 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

It is possible to have your cake and eat it too, you know... Not easy, not recommended, but possible...
Old 09-09-2015, 12:25 AM
Alexandrius
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Petevb
It's fine to say the change is politically driven- we know that. It's fine to say you disagree with those politics. However launching into a diatribe over the science and making a case for a candidate is the definition of both political and controversial, and its banned per forum rules. There's a forum for that, and it's not here. You want to continue that debate you can do so without me.
Question is why are we upset as enthusiasts over turbos, answer is "politics" and you agree...but you don't want to have further discussion on any details or the "why" behind it? Sounds like you'd rather not have an honest discussion and leave it at "politics happened" then.

There is a turbo for turbo enthusiasts, there should be NA cars for NA enthusiasts. And, by the way, there is a market for both. No need to kill off the NA enthusiasts.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:27 AM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 198 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
It is possible to have your cake and eat it too, you know... Not easy, not recommended, but possible...
... Nor cheap
Old 09-09-2015, 12:30 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

... Nor cheap
Not so much, no...
Old 09-09-2015, 04:16 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

i really only eat pears and never apples. but that doesn't mean apples are bad. i just dont like apples.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:42 AM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Power delivery, throttle response, high rev drama and screaming noise will be missed once NA engines are gone.
Having said that I wonder if electric turbo has any sense? Instantaneous spool up by electric motor would be available but I believe fuel efficiency would be gone as the energy of exhaust gases would be wasted anyway.
I think that there is still room to improve GT3 by reducing it's curb weight.
Carbon fibre chassis to shave off 200-250kg. Lighter chassis means lighter suspension, brakes, etc... Same engine/power would be just enough.
Keep it simple. No turbo nor hybrid.
Dreams, sweet dreams
Old 09-09-2015, 02:26 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

No question the N/A GT cars are the Scalpels and the Turbos are the Broad Swords but I love driving them both. They both are thrilling, but just in different ways. Love the precision and immediate response of the N/A Engines, but that Turbo kick in the butt acceleration to warp speed never ceases to put a big smile on my face. I feel grateful and doubly blessed to own both. In racing I always preferred my Turbo simply because it separated me from most of the other race cars and the dangers involved in really close racing.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:58 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,802 Likes on 2,167 Posts

I'm fine with the turbos coming but all that I ask for is that they do the 991.2 GT3, RS, and GT4 in NA as the last NA GT cars and save the turbo GT cars for the 992 platform.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:21 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

https://instagram.com/p/7c-oW3xyXo/?...=autonews_west

not a fan
Old 09-10-2015, 12:54 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexandrius
Question is why are we upset as enthusiasts over turbos, answer is "politics" and you agree...but you don't want to have further discussion on any details or the "why" behind it? Sounds like you'd rather not have an honest discussion and leave it at "politics happened" then.

There is a turbo for turbo enthusiasts, there should be NA cars for NA enthusiasts. And, by the way, there is a market for both. No need to kill off the NA enthusiasts.
Debates about turbo vs. NA engines are fine. Passionate disagreements about technical merits are fine. But, for politcal discussions, there is a specific forum: Off Topic - Politics, and Controvesy. That was his point.
Old 09-10-2015, 02:18 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexandrius

Petevb is one of the most up to date guys on RL when it comes to emissions.

There is a looooong thread about it somewhere on here. I can't find it right now but try to search. I try to follow the European Union emission reports and goals pretty close. It's a completely screwed up way of measuring co2. And the reason we see all these turbo charged cars.
But it's been discussed a lot and nothing we can do about it.

991.2 gt3 RS will stay N/A
992 hybrid
That's my guess.
Old 09-10-2015, 02:30 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Not to mention the EC standards give far too much benefit to the real emissions impact of hybrids.

Quick Reply: WTF is the angst over turbos?