Sponsored by:

What to practice at the track?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 10:42 PM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What to practice at the track?

I have a track day coming up which is a private affair organized by our very own OrthoJoe. There will only be 30 cars there (11 of which will be 991 3's I'm told!!!!) and the track will be open for approx 8 hrs with maybe an hour down for lunch.
I don't have much track experience in a car so would be interested in any advice on what I could/should be practicing as there will be no official instructors there. I could just go and enjoy myself (which I will) but my personality will want me to learn and improve rather than burn a tank of gas and ingrain a bunch of bad habits. I know there are a lot of PCA instructors on here so appreciate any thoughts. Txs.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:59 PM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 115 Posts

Get a coach for the day and you will see a monumental improvement. Get it right to start and you will improve much quicker.. Look at your first day as a learning experience not based on time but learning the track and car. Most importantly have fun... Oh did I say follow Ortho Joe around the track...
Old 09-07-2015, 11:00 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There's nothing more valuable than input from a knowledgeable instructor. Maybe you can work with Joe to organize a 20-30 min "parade lap" type of session early in the day. If no instructors, then find a good driver (joe is certainly one) to ride right seat at a VERY moderate pace (as in 30-50mph) and talk you through the line. Better yet, you ride and let another skilled driver pilot your car at a slow pace to illustrate.

Most importantly, just take it easy out there. Start slow. Work up more speed incrementally, if you feel comfortable.

And please please watch your mirrors Just point anyone by who is quicker and life will be good.

Glad to see the 991 GT3 bringing new folks to the track!
Old 09-07-2015, 11:01 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

All 3 owners of my car will be flogging the car that day, so I'll have some down time. I'd be happy to sit with you and bring my intercom system. If you twist my arm enough, I'll do a few laps in your car to give you an idea of what it can do. LOL! Kidding aside, I've found it very helpful in the past to let a good driver run my own car to see what they are doing different. From a selfish standpoint, I'm curious to see if your car handles differently in stock form versus my setup. No obligation, though. I'm more than happy to sit passenger seat and coach you, but I think going back and forth can be very helpful.

Now that you've driven the track already, watch videos and familiarize yourself with the turns and the line.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:05 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Nothing better than a coach on a private day. WELL WORTH the investment. Since we are all learning, always set out with a goal. Improve braking, turn in, acceleration point, hitting apexes, etc etc there is a lot to remember and a lot to learn. I try to focus on one thing at a time and eventually it starts to come together.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:01 AM
Tre
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As others have said, a coach is the best recipe for drastic improvements. The inherent bonus of a private track day is that you trust everyone else and that they all share common sense on track. There's nothing like having sessions ruined because of folks driving in higher level groups than they should be in.

As for technique, I'm not sure how much experience in your limited time on track in a car, but your avatar shows that you understand track lines and techniques (e.g., trail braking, etc.) from a motorcycle standpoint. After recently taking up motorcycle track days myself, I honestly think driving cars on track are much easier due to not needing the same physical stamina for constant changes in body position and exposure to the elements (my opinion of course). And of course, don't forget you have mirrors unlike on a bike. The sensation of knowing what's behind you and is about to do is always a pleasure!
Old 09-08-2015, 02:44 AM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 98 Posts

Ross Bentley book is good to get an idea of what to focus on.

From recollection of various things I've read, focus on:
1) proper line
2) smoothness and weight transfer
3) then exit speed, once line is solid
4) then entry speed, once exit speed is solid

I try not to focus on improving more than one or two things at once. Lately I've been focusing on entry speed and weight transfer from braking to cornering, as my exit speed, line, and smoothness are good.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:51 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

Remember to work on vision (I'm currently working on that)
Old 09-08-2015, 05:50 AM
Shahano
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely get your instructor, but if that is you in the avatar, I wouldn't be too worried... You'll be surprised at how much more breaking power u have in the car as well as higher minimum speed in the corners, other than that, its not much different.

If you have alot of bike track experience, I wouldnt be too worried.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:40 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,750 Likes on 2,174 Posts

I don't mean to offend anyone, but organizing a private track day which mixes inexperienced and experienced drivers, all solo, seems a recipe for problems. There's a reason why we have run groups, instructors, prerequisites for soloing, etc. To the OP, for everyone's sake, I suggest that you arrange to have an instructor/coach before participating in something like this.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:03 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Manifold, this track event is for people who have already been signed off for solo driving. This is not Matt's first track day in a car and he has plenty of experience on a bike. I don't allow novices for this type of event, and I agree with your concerns. Yes, there will be a mixture of intermediate and advance drivers, but we all know each other and there will be plenty of open space with the small amount of drivers the event is limited to. I expect the advance drivers to know how to properly handle slower drivers.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:07 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,750 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Manifold, this track event is for people who have already been signed off for solo driving. This is not Matt's first track day in a car and he has plenty of experience on a bike. I don't allow novices for this type of event, and I agree with your concerns. Yes, there will be a mixture of intermediate and advance drivers, but we all know each other and there will be plenty of open space with the small amount of drivers the event is limited to. I expect the advance drivers to know how to properly handle slower drivers.
Thanks for clarifying. From the OP's comments, I gathered that he wasn't yet an intermediate solo driver.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:49 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Manifold
Thanks for clarifying. From the OP's comments, I gathered that he wasn't yet an intermediate solo driver.
Yeah, Matt is downplaying his track experience (plenty on a bike) and is very conscientious about safety, which I VERY much appreciate and and respect.

I apologize in advance to any rennlisters here who would have liked to go. At first, private invitations were sent out to only people I knew first hand, and I sold out of spots before I could invite anyone else. Please PM me your email if you are interested in future events.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:21 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

The bike guys are always good, naturally smooth and intuitive to the proper line. They just keep trying to lean in the seat belts
Old 09-08-2015, 11:30 AM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks all for the feedback thoughts. I'd like to clarify a couple of items as well.
Yes that is me in my Avatar and I have a lot of track experience on bikes and have been taught by the likes of Nick Ientach, Kevin Schwantz and Ken Hill so feel very comfortable with the track. I've also done track days in cars but no where near the same level of experience and so was asking if anyone has any thoughts as no official instructors would be there. I'll take an instructor anytime - I actually still get one every now and then when on the bike.
I also wanted to say that Joe would not allow just anyone to pitch up at his track days - he's always been very clear about that and I for one would not put him or myself in that position where I'd have to be asked to leave.
Just wanted to clarify this as I feel I might have thrown Joe under the bus somewhat? Txs again for the responses.

Quick Reply: What to practice at the track?