Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lightning Lap

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 12:17 AM
krisa9977
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the list of lap times when we did a test drive at Moscow Raceway (3.9 km or 2.4 miles). Same day pro driver:

Porsche GT3 stock with factory setup - 1:50.13 (Cup2 tires)
Porsche GT3 stock car with race setup - 1:47.4 (Cup 2 tires)
Porsche 991 Turbo S - 1:48.08 (stock Pirelli Pzero tires)
Nissan GTR 2015 - 1:52.624 (factory Dunlops)
Lamborghini Huracan - 1:50.3
Mercedes-AMG GT S - 1:52.09
Old 09-10-2015, 12:33 AM
Mass_K
Advanced

Originally Posted by krisa9977
Lowest possible ride height in front with maximum possible negative camber(need to use shims). 2 mm in total toe, softest roll bar

Rear is a bit tricky. Camber anywhere between -3.1 to -3.6, 6 mm in total toe, softest roll bar. You need to adjust your rear alignment according to the track and your driving preferences.
toe out for front

toe in for rear

???
Old 09-10-2015, 12:39 AM
krisa9977
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mass_K
toe out for front

toe in for rear

???
If you need more steering response on turn in, you can to set up toe in for front. I tried to put front toe in and toe out. The difference in lap time is minimum, but I liked the car better with front toe in.
With zero toe for front it is hard to get front tires to its optimal temperature, but if you are driving in hot climate zero toe is the option.
Rear toe is always in
Old 09-10-2015, 12:39 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,798 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Originally Posted by krisa9977
I have no idea why. I also know that you have to be very fast and very smooth driver and drive your car 100%, especially at mid corner to take advantage from aggressive race setup. I saw that "average" driver can go faster with factory setup. When we put less experienced driver in a car with more negative camber, he didn't like the car and his lap time was slower. When the pro driver jumps into the car with "race setup" his lap time 3 second faster over the same car with "factory setup". If you don't use all available grip at mid corner, you don't need more negative camber
I could be wrong, but the answer may be within your answer. Faster driver will lean on the car more, maybe getting more camber change due to roll, thereby increasing contact patch on the loaded tires as the higher camber flattens out. Extra smoothness may be needed to progressively lean on the car during corner entry, and keep it loaded through the corner, else intermittent unloading could mean loss of contact patch and grip. This still doesn't explain why intermediate camber doesn't work as well as factory alignment, but could be something complex going on involving roll, roll centers, tire behavior, damping, ride heights, rake, etc.

What hot tire pressures are you running with the race setup?
Old 09-10-2015, 12:52 AM
krisa9977
Instructor

Yes, it is more complex and I'm sure results might very from one driver to another and from different tracks. What I know that auto sport is very complex and if I tell you something, but did not show it to you, you might get the opposite results from what you expect.

Hot tire pressure is about 30 hot, but might be a little different depending on tire temperature.
Old 09-10-2015, 03:59 PM
PierreTT
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 62 Posts

Thanks
Very interesting input
You should post in Joe's tread as there was a debate on alignment if I remember well

Sorry for the "tread highjacking"
Old 09-10-2015, 04:35 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,798 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Originally Posted by PierreTT
Thanks
Very interesting input
You should post in Joe's tread as there was a debate on alignment if I remember well

Sorry for the "tread highjacking"
I had the same thought, and just posted a x-link in Joe's thread.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:36 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

A few weeks ago, I had a beginning student with a completely stock Stingray. The car was very easy to drive fast, had amazing low end torque and great brakes. On street tires, I moved him up a group, and he still passed everyone. It was in the high 70's, and there was no heat issue. The interior quality was lacking, but for $55k(?), if I had it for a day, I'm pretty sure I could match my track prepped 6GT3. I was very impressed. I'll keep my 6GT3 for many reasons, but if I were starting right now, I'd pick up a Stingray.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:12 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,783 Likes on 4,775 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Price
A few weeks ago, I had a beginning student with a completely stock Stingray. The car was very easy to drive fast, had amazing low end torque and great brakes. On street tires, I moved him up a group, and he still passed everyone. It was in the high 70's, and there was no heat issue. The interior quality was lacking, but for $55k(?), if I had it for a day, I'm pretty sure I could match my track prepped 6GT3. I was very impressed. I'll keep my 6GT3 for many reasons, but if I were starting right now, I'd pick up a Stingray.
The C7 Corvette (not the C7 Z06) with a 7MT might be the best alternative out there to a dedicated track toy.

Might be better than a GT4, depending on which leg you put your pants on first.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:28 PM
Vista6019
Rennlist Member

Received 351 Likes on 141 Posts

I have read the article and if I had to choose between the two I would pick the GT3 all day. I am skeptical that the difference is truly that big with two equal drivers...(Get Randy Pobst in both cars) and then lets see. Also the Vette continues to have significant over-heating issues, and in the end, could not finish the test....This is not new as there has been much documentation about this issue.
The GT3's level of engineering, all around performance, fit, finish and ability to track all day and drive home sipping a big gulp is a true testament to the build quality, and race craft employed in this car....The Vette is all about HP, and in many ways faster but is not yet battle tested......I am sure that Chevy's PR machine will insist on another test....
Old 10-20-2015, 07:27 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
The C7 Corvette (not the C7 Z06) with a 7MT might be the best alternative out there to a dedicated track toy.

What do you think of the Mustang gt350R? Might be a contender.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:13 AM
Tapeworm
Instructor

I seriously considered a Stringray, but sat in one on a hot day - the smell of glue was overpowering. I dont see an excuse for this, I have had Lotuses before with similar construction and no issues with the smell in the interior.....
Old 10-20-2015, 03:12 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

completely agree
Old 10-20-2015, 10:26 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,783 Likes on 4,775 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
What do you think of the Mustang gt350R? Might be a contender.
More than just a contender.

But harder (and probably more expensive to get based on dealer premiums) than a GT4, and certainly more than a C7.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:41 PM
PCarOMFS
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Vista6019
I have read the article and if I had to choose between the two I would pick the GT3 all day. I am skeptical that the difference is truly that big with two equal drivers...(Get Randy Pobst in both cars) and then lets see. Also the Vette continues to have significant over-heating issues, and in the end, could not finish the test....This is not new as there has been much documentation about this issue.
The GT3's level of engineering, all around performance, fit, finish and ability to track all day and drive home sipping a big gulp is a true testament to the build quality, and race craft employed in this car....The Vette is all about HP, and in many ways faster but is not yet battle tested......I am sure that Chevy's PR machine will insist on another test....
Couldn't agree more. I was perusing YouTube and came across two different videos. Randy Pobst ran the 991GT3 and C7 ZO6/ZO7 at Big Willow as part of Tirerack's head to head comparisons. Both cars were on Cup 2's. The 991GT3 ran 1:27.22 and C7ZO6/ZO7 ran 1:27.10. While this was not a direct comparison between the two cars, you have the same pro driver on the same track with identical tires, only the Corvette uses run-flats. I have always felt the GT3 punches above its power deficit and runs just as fast if not faster than many cars with much more power. While the ZO6 is .12 seconds faster, it also has 175 more horsepower and almost 300 more ft/lbs of torque. You can't beat Porsche confidence-inspiring handling. It is the car I'd rather drive. Who cares about track times anyway? I know I'll never make a living racing a car. Below are links to both videos.

https://youtu.be/xXOjnkIuQYM

https://youtu.be/1vVEf-y5qnE

Quick Reply: Lightning Lap