Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 GT3 RS with Sport Bucket Seat.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 04:06 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If you're not in North America, seriously consider the clubsport package with roll cage (http://www.porsche.com/international...sport-package/). This essentially makes access to the rear of the seats a moot point, so the LWB would be just fine. Here's a link with quite a few photos posted previously by RLer ze_shark http://www.asphalte.ch/news/2015/03/...he-991-gt3-rs/
Old 09-04-2015, 09:46 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,785 Likes on 4,775 Posts

Agree with what everyone has said.

Buckets - be they LWB or the SB - look cool and are great for track/spirited driving, but they do take a bit of concentration and coordination during ingress and egress.

And yes the 18-way *** are the better option if you plan on dailying the car.

But, just from a personal perspective I can't imagine using this car as a day-in, day-out car. Would you really use this to go pick up eggs and some bread? Or take the significant other to the opera? Or a day at the beach?

Maybe, but with that ginormous park bench sticking out in the rear, and those rather garish vents decorating the car, going anywhere in a mundane or routine fashion becomes an exercise in frustration.

And this is someone who dailys his GT3 with buckets and a harness bar. So I know from first-hand experience how even the rather low-key, demure GT3 attracts attention like flies on fresh protruded fecal matter on a hot humid day.

All that is a long way of basically saying get the seats that are most comfortable for your body type/shape. And if the car is going to be a dedicated track weapon, and neither of the OEM bucket options suit you, then go aftermarket.

Enjoy the RS.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:19 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

I faced the same dilemma when ordering my GT3RS. The LWBs are VERY expensive to add later. They do look gorgeous and are very comfortable. IMHO, a GT3RS without LWBs would be more difficult to sell and yield a far lower resale price in the market. The high End Bolsters of the LWBs make them far more difficult to get out of, especially for senior citizens with knee or back problems, and their Non-Folding backs make carrying luggage or packages behind the seats a real PITA. But their is no credit given to you by Porsche if you substitute the far lower cost Sport Seats when you order the RS.
To solve that dilemma, I ordered LWBs with my car and intend to replace them with the lower cost GT3 Standard seats if we find them intolerable for a daily driver. The cost of replacing them will likely be far lower than the hit you would take on resale if lacking them. You could then re-install the LWBs before selling your car and sell your two extra standard GT3 seats making for a really low-cost solution.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:43 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

If you buy an RS and don't track it, you bought the wrong car. I just got mine yesterday - finally! LWB seats notch. Now to get a hold of Gert Carnewal for the cage which we can't get here (dammit). Love the pdk but hate the "no creep" feature. Makes moving around my tight parking spot a pain and it slips the clutch too much for my taste.
Old 09-05-2015, 02:19 PM
mlcgd21
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
I faced the same dilemma when ordering my GT3RS. The LWBs are VERY expensive to add later. They do look gorgeous and are very comfortable. IMHO, a GT3RS without LWBs would be more difficult to sell and yield a far lower resale price in the market. The high End Bolsters of the LWBs make them far more difficult to get out of, especially for senior citizens with knee or back problems, and their Non-Folding backs make carrying luggage or packages behind the seats a real PITA. But their is no credit given to you by Porsche if you substitute the far lower cost Sport Seats when you order the RS.
To solve that dilemma, I ordered LWBs with my car and intend to replace them with the lower cost GT3 Standard seats if we find them intolerable for a daily driver. The cost of replacing them will likely be far lower than the hit you would take on resale if lacking them. You could then re-install the LWBs before selling your car and sell your two extra standard GT3 seats making for a really low-cost solution.
I completely understand what you are saying, but for me buying a brand new RS will probably be a one life time experience and I don't pretend on selling it ever so it's no problem for me anyway I talked with the salesman about this, and he said it wouldnt be easy to take out the LWS and put comfort seats on instead because of the electronics differences between them. That would of course be the perfect cenario.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:23 AM
mlcgd21
Intermediate

Deleted

Last edited by mlcgd21; 09-10-2015 at 06:25 AM.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:26 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mariodiniz21
OP I attached a photo of the seats available for the RS, normal buckets included.

I just sat on them and did not drive the car. I consider myself pretty athletic but still they are hard to get in and and specially to get out, I love the looks but they are not pratical enough, and I pretend on doing trips around europe where I can drive as much as 10 hours in one day, so I really prefer not to take the risk, I will eventually drive the car daily to work etc if I want to and the sport seats will make my life easier for sure.
i had "gt2" seats in my NZ Gt3 which fold like the sport buckets shown here. I didnt realise the new buckets dont fold; I have them coming on my GT4 and thats a drag, makes it harder to put luggage in back.

Given you have a choice I would take the folding bucket. A sports car requires a bucker so please dont take the Ford LTD seat also offered
Old 09-10-2015, 03:40 AM
PhinneyWood
Intermediate

I went with LWB, for two reasons. Firstly, looks Hahahaha. Secondly I plan on tracking it and hear you sit a little lower, lighter, and I've seen some nice mods people have done for 6 point harness setup.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:22 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mariodiniz21
I totally understand your point, but buying a new RS for me will probably be a once in a lifetime event and I don't pretend on sell it ever, so the resale price is not that important. Also I thought about ordering with the LWB and then buying some standard seats but the salesman told be it wouldn't be that easy to install them due to the electronic differences between both seats so that puts me off.
For me, it'd be an easy choice, get the LWB, first, they look amazing! Second, even if you don't "plan" on selling it, things happen, so you never know. But also, I'm sure it's not as difficult as your SA is making it sound. Yes, it may also require the installation of an electrical harness if you choose to add the *** seats later. But the GT2 Sport Buckets don't, they're manual, so you don't have to worry about that and only the airbags are what you'd need to hookup. Lastly, you could look to the aftermarket like a Recaro folding bucket seat. I used to have the Recaro Sportline's and loved them. That was years ago and I'm sure they've got some seats that are similar now.

But, if you decided that the LWB's just aren't for you (let's face it, there's a plethora of reasons people choose not to get them), then I'd definitely get the Sport Buckets. In my opinion, the 18 ways in an RS makes about as much sense as a bench seat.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 RS with Sport Bucket Seat.