Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Like Moose?
Old 09-14-2015, 02:26 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by SSTHO
Few things settled in for me during my 2nd event with PCA PNWR @ Pacific Raceways 9.11.15 - UPDATES BELOW:

- PDK-S: don't like auto mode; it is great, but it got me in a few hairier situations where I expected it to shift up or down for me, and it didn't. I am not consistent enough with my pedal modulation on gas/brake yet. I know I will be slower in manual only mode. Got annoying if you get held up by traffic and need to take some pace off; car will auto upshift for you and mess up your momentum/expectations. I found myself getting a little bored this time around; maybe it's the 9/10 turns at Pacific Raceways or maybe my head was just into making sure my wife has a great first track day. But fun factor went downhill for me from the Ridge

- CF Buckets: with more room in the 991 GT3 RS; it is a waste to not be able to access the rear interior space of the car; these CF seats do not fold so you can throw in your belongings. Not very practical; or Porsche is making people get bars/cage/harnesses.

- Brakes: the Porsche brakes have always been a signature; these binders on the new car are frickin' unreal. I was braking +50ft later with more speed into 3A than I am used to (after following instructors in their 991 GT3 and Z06 (C7)); unreal brakes/feel

- Ease of going fast: car is so easy to drive at 8/10ths; honestly, didn't feel much of a reason to push it more than that and had tons of fun keeping lines neat and consistent; the stability of this car is amazing; the mechanical grip of going into T2 after braking and setting the car's weight is funny; won't be surprised if I can take that turn another 3mph+ faster (too afraid to find out).

- Engine: first time I left it in auto and floored it to experience the full range of engine speeds allowable in 991 GT3 RS; holy sh*t! Pretty hilarious engine. Just smiles all around from my passengers and myself. Superb masterpiece here and usable power everywhere. Unreal.

- Wife's thoughts: loves it from a driving perspective; very communicative; confidence inspiring; easy daily driver; and would come back to the track with it; best GT3 to date by leaps and bounds.

Sat in a well driven Z06 (C7) on R6's; very eye opening experience with speed, precision, and ride that is possible in these cars. Did not believe it was possible.

Also following 991 GT3 driven by local instructors was hugely beneficial; knew when and how far they could push the car and showed me some great places to pick up time on.

Here's a video w/991 GT3:

MY2016 Porsche 991 GT3 RS @ Pacific Raceways - YouTube
bring PANDA down on 10/5
i need to see and drive
Old 09-14-2015, 09:49 AM
SSTHO
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by allans
Nice drive, beautiful track. Is the GT3 driver missing turn in points or driving w/ really late apexes?
991 Guards Red GT3 driver said it was his 2nd trackday in the 991 GT3. He was probably watching his mirrors to ensure he stayed in front of new RS (he did win DE Cup and pitted in ahead of me). I had no interest to get close or drive as hard. Didn't want to pressure him for an incident. But, I was interested on how I would measure up to a 991 GT3.

We were doing 1.31xx laps on the video. Driver of 991 GT3 in video said he got to 1.29xx in a later session. My guess is I'm probably there at 1.29xx after figuring out a lot going for rides with the locals and picking up more tips/lines/exploring more limits of car. However, I don't time (fear of eventually pushing hard enough to crash) and didn't have video later in the day (got lazy).

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Awesome lap times for everyone!! Even wives...
Can't wait what happens at 10/10th...
Only the world-famous TRAKCAR can do 10/10ths FLATOUT!

Originally Posted by Mech33
Wow, beautiful track surroundings! Do little animals ever run out of the woods and across the track??
Never saw anything or heard; but can imagine only.

Yes, Pacific Raceways is gorgeous! Very Pacific Northwest surroundings. Nicer weather in 2011 with 7.2 GT3 chasing 7.2 GT3 RS in video below:

Originally Posted by mooty
bring PANDA down on 10/5
i need to see and drive
may have outside chance to stop by 10/5; but no chance with RS for this trip; easier to get mooty up than bring Panda down
Old 09-14-2015, 10:40 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SSTHO
- PDK-S: don't like auto mode; it is great, but it got me in a few hairier situations where I expected it to shift up or down for me, and it didn't. I am not consistent enough with my pedal modulation on gas/brake yet. I know I will be slower in manual only mode. Got annoying if you get held up by traffic and need to take some pace off; car will auto upshift for you and mess up your momentum/expectations. I found myself getting a little bored this time around; maybe it's the 9/10 turns at Pacific Raceways or maybe my head was just into making sure my wife has a great first track day. But fun factor went downhill for me from the Ridge
Glad to see your enjoying the car - sadly won't see mine until Feb/March.

On the PDK front - the transmission will learn from you if you want to keep it in drive. On your first few laps force the shift points that you want and then you'll find it'll automatically do them on future laps.
Old 09-14-2015, 05:23 PM
PhinneyWood
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haven't been to this track yet, looks gorgeous. Thanks for your feedback and the videos!
Old 09-15-2015, 12:04 PM
Sarum87
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice track but scary little run off room....congrats on the car!

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 RS - first impressions