991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autocar: 996 GT3 vs 997 GT3 vs 991 GT3

Old 09-12-2015, 09:44 PM
FLAT6KING
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The 991R concept seems easy to pull of. Take a 50th Anniversary car: -PDK, -rear seats,+GT3 engine, +325 series rubber, and MT.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:43 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by PC Valkyrie
There have been several car mags comparing different generations of the 911 GT3 now.

In my opinion, there are only 2 reasons to choose a 997.2 GT3 over a 991 GT3.

1) You want to drive a manual transmission 911 GT3.
2) You want to spend less money to get a 911 GT3 (assuming the values of used 997 GT3's don't exceed the value of 991 GT3's).

All other reasons that are commonly mentioned by the so called "purists" are soft and not as relevant for most drivers/enthusiasts.

991 GT3 electric power steering?......sure the hydraulic system had better feel, but for virtually any application (street driving, mountain/canyon road driving, track driving, drifting), it's a non-issue. The 991 GT3 has very accurate steering and you CAN tell when then front tires are losing grip when pushing the car into understeer.

The 991 GT3 has too many electronics/computers driving itself?........stability and traction control can be completely disabled if you want. The PDK-S in manual mode gives you complete control over gear selection, allowing you to bounce off the rev limiter if you want without the transmission upshifting on its own. Rear wheel steering: a mechanical method to increase cornering agility/stability when the driver turns the steering wheel. E-diff (electronically controlled mechanical limited slip differential): acts just like a conventional limited slip differential except that it is more flexible in terms of having variable lock-up ability and even completely open differential to have the best of both worlds. Torque vectoring: yes, this feature actively brakes individual wheels to improve turn-in ability as it generates a natural yaw force when the driver turns the steering wheel........is this "cheating"??......a grey area.......I would say ABS with the computer actively pumping the brakes completely out of the control of the human is "cheating" even more.

The 991 GT3 has to be driven too fast to enjoy on the road?........irrelevant for most people. Unless you regularly drive way above the speed limit with drifting on city roads, this point is mute. You will have the same problem in a 997 or 996 GT3. Even my 10 year old C55 AMG can't be taken anywhere near it's limits safely on any city road. The track is the only place where most modern performance/sports cars' performance capability can be safely exploited and exceeded if desired.

The 991 GT3 is too easy to drive?........this point puzzles me. Previous 911's had more understeer and more snap oversteer tendencies due to it's rear engine placement. As such, they were harder to drive fast and the limits were lower. Now the 991 GT3 has dialed out understeer and oversteer, and is significantly more capable in terms of cornering speeds and is faster in terms of acceleration too, which means almost all drivers will be able to drive faster as the limits are much higher. What is the problem with that???

In addition to the very high cornering speeds which you can "feel", the 991 GT3's engine revs so fast and loud to its redline that you have to be dead to not feel excited when driving this car.

Which brings me back to my original point. The ONLY "advantages" the 997.2 GT3 has over the 991 GT3 is the increased involvement that comes with driving a stick shift manual transmission, and price. And in my opinion, there is no reason to choose a 996 GT3 over a 997 GT3, unless you really prefer the looks of the 996, and you prefer a much harsher ride with less capability, or if price is the main deciding factor.
One more "advantage." The providence of the Le Mans winning GT1 Mezger engine - still being raced in top flight endurance racing today. Hopefully the 9a1 engine will be successful next year in the GT3R and GT3 sprint races.
Old 09-13-2015, 02:50 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,010 Likes on 516 Posts

Originally Posted by Test Jet
Some people prefer the sound of tube amps and vinyl, others rave about new generation class D amps.

I do not see myself moving beyond 997.2 for my 911 experience.
Audiophile?
Old 09-13-2015, 04:08 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by brake dust
One more "advantage." The providence of the Le Mans winning GT1 Mezger engine - still being raced in top flight endurance racing today. Hopefully the 9a1 engine will be successful next year in the GT3R and GT3 sprint races.
991 is a fast car no doubt, and the 991.2 will be faster still. But until I see a video like this...it's just a car, not the symbol that attracted me to the 997.2RS.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Autocar: 996 GT3 vs 997 GT3 vs 991 GT3