Sponsored by:

Autocar: McLaren 675LT versus GT3 RS

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 04:51 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
While I would also like some (more?) hard data, the problem is that that kind of article would not sell.

No one buys a car magazine to analyze Excel spreadsheets.

#BecauseShortAttentionSpan
Motor Trend seems to do a pretty good job providing hard data in their Head 2 Head comparo videos.

#BecauseVideosHaveEngineNoises

Old 08-05-2015, 05:14 PM
RossL
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zeus
Call me jaded, and I'm going to buck the trend here but... Once you get past all the pretty pictures and awesome green paint, this article sucks. More useless noise, and pretty pictures to sell the magazine.

They have the rare opportunity to test the cars on the same day, same driver at the same track, don't take ANY performance measurements, no numbers, nothing, nada. Same useless "data sheet" that we've seen 80 times already.

They write enough nice things about each car so that either side can feel vindicated that their manufacturer/car is better while not taking a real stand.

Hey Look! More 4-wheel drifting of a $400K car!

Useless...

I see a worrying trend appearing: more & more "tests" not being comparison tests (as in same-day-same driver) tests. Allowing those manufacturers, those who choose to at least show up (unless they can be sure a win cough*Ferrari*cough) to allow for endless debates and millions of posts about tires, track temps & ECU/suspension tuning. Have we ever seen a real comparo between the P1, 918 & LaF? Thought so. I have a feeling the "junior" supercars will begin to follow the same pattern as manufacturers are either unwilling to risk too much on one test, or...ahh hell...I'm waisting my time here probably.
Keep in mind that the reviewers might not be aloud to gather data like Ferrari did with the LaFerrari. We have no idea what deal was struck to have this review. Porsche or McLaren might have said, no data, just like the P1 ring time.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:19 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,767 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Originally Posted by RossL
Keep in mind that the reviewers might not be aloud to gather data like Ferrari did with the LaFerrari. We have no idea what deal was struck to have this review. Porsche or McLaren might have said, no data, just like the P1 ring time.
Good point. The embargo may only have been partially lifted.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:45 PM
otis
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Autocar: McLaren 675LT versus GT3 RS

They can't report the times since the LT slightly bettered the RS track times. If they reported those it wouldn't make sense to say the RS was the better track car and the LT the better street car.

From a journos perspective Porsche would never send another special car for testing if they came out and just said it lost all performance parameters except price. I give the RS big props for being almost half as expensive and being such a track weapon.

The point here is they went on feel and subjective measure for the track portion of the review. If the point was to use objective data to pick the best/fastest car the write up would be vastly different.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:48 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenLantern
Motor Trend seems to do a pretty good job providing hard data in their Head 2 Head comparo videos.

#BecauseVideosHaveEngineNoises

Sutcliffe always did a good job and was a capable driver - though not sure what has happened him. Left a big enough hole that makes autocar not worth reading. I canceled my subscription until they get someone else on board.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:11 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,767 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Originally Posted by otis

From a journos perspective Porsche would never send another special car for testing if they came out and just said it lost all performance parameters except price. I give the RS big props for being almost half as expensive and being such a track weapon.
The price differential between the 675LT and the RS will vary region to region.

In the U.S., I believe the differential to be the greatest, but there are areas in the rest of the world where I think the two cars are actually comparable in price.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:44 AM
Zeus
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by otis
They can't report the times since the LT slightly bettered the RS track times. If they reported those it wouldn't make sense to say the RS was the better track car and the LT the better street car.

The point here is they went on feel and subjective measure for the track portion of the review. If the point was to use objective data to pick the best/fastest car the write up would be vastly different.
Porsche is unlike other manufacturers. They are not afraid to lose a comparison test. Especially against a car that when lightly optioned costs twice as much, and their relationship is not "sour" with those at Autocar. We as readers and fans (some would say ambassadors) of these cars should question the absence of objective data to pick the best/fastest car and let the journalists throw in a page or two at the end of the article (subjective data) stating which is a better car for the road. Especially when the title on the cover of your magazine says "Flat Out Test" & "...head to head on road and track." It may be a short sentence, and because these are road cars first, and track cars second, leave it up to the intelligence of their readership to "read between the lines" and decide which option they like best for their lifestyle: more track weapon, or more road car vs. other attributes each car has.

I think these two cars are, at the moment, the definitive matching together of like-minded cars. They both represent their maker's best efforts of a street car based track special bar the Hypercar trio of the P1, 918 & LaF. All of which are sold out and soon ending production. You can make the case that the 675LT is sold out of their allotted 500 units, but Ferrari will continue to make the 458 Speciale for a while longer as they take care of demand. Potentially, if a customer fell off the list, another could get on, for a while longer anyway. They should have been there. Their hopped-up yellow and red "press special" 458 Speciales' are still out there somewhere...

I disagree with the assumption that the RS lost or would lose all performance parameters with the LT. It is a fact that the LT will crush an RS in straight-line acceleration, but every other performance metric I would highly question. Braking, handling, ultimate lateral grip, etc.

Hence, my rant on these types of articles that give you little in the way of real numbers. This is the typical journo template used in many articles these days; you could easily substitute GT3RS & 675 LT for Miata & BRZ, fill in the appropriate manufacturer data & marketing specs and essentially have written nearly the same article.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:41 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Reminds me of when Car and Driver did a Comparo in 2009 of a BMW M3 (414 BHP) and a Porsche Carrera Non S (345 BHP I think) around Laguna Seca. Guess who won that test? The BMW only still just barely 1 second faster around the track. And you wonder what is the point of this test?
Old 08-06-2015, 03:12 PM
JonA85
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts

I can't stand Car and Driver with BMWs. I remember they tested an M3, GTR, and a 997 TT. The M3 won.....
Old 08-06-2015, 03:17 PM
mainly
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call me jaded, and I'm going to buck the trend here but... Once you get past all the pretty pictures and awesome green paint, this article sucks. More useless noise, and pretty pictures to sell the magazine.

They have the rare opportunity to test the cars on the same day, same driver at the same track, don't take ANY performance measurements, no numbers, nothing, nada. Same useless "data sheet" that we've seen 80 times already.

They write enough nice things about each car so that either side can feel vindicated that their manufacturer/car is better while not taking a real stand.

Hey Look! More 4-wheel drifting of a $400K car!

Useless...

I see a worrying trend appearing: more & more "tests" not being comparison tests (as in same-day-same driver) tests. Allowing those manufacturers, those who choose to at least show up (unless they can be sure a win cough*Ferrari*cough) to allow for endless debates and millions of posts about tires, track temps & ECU/suspension tuning. Have we ever seen a real comparo between the P1, 918 & LaF? Thought so. I have a feeling the "junior" supercars will begin to follow the same pattern as manufacturers are either unwilling to risk too much on one test, or...ahh hell...I'm waisting my time here probably.

exactly. what a disappointment. i dont give a crap about their literary skills. i want to know which car was faster around their track.

are there still no published track head to head tests of the gt3rs? all ive seen are these dumb driving impression "reviews", no performance figures whatsoever...
Old 08-06-2015, 04:52 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JonA85
I can't stand Car and Driver with BMWs. I remember they tested an M3, GTR, and a 997 TT. The M3 won.....
I actually respect Car and Driver's reviews. But their rankings on who wins never means much. You have to read into it to see what matters to you. For example, BMW gets points for nice back seats, but who cares!
Old 08-06-2015, 06:27 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Firm stand on which is better? There is no better. There is personal preference, and a reader can form their own opinion based on the article's content. Then again, it's still just an opinion based on an opinion. It's all meaningless until you drive the car yourself.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:30 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mainly
exactly. what a disappointment. i dont give a crap about their literary skills. i want to know which car was faster around their track.

are there still no published track head to head tests of the gt3rs? all ive seen are these dumb driving impression "reviews", no performance figures whatsoever...
Because lap times don't matter. And that's it.

Want proof?

Do you have a Viper ACR in the garage or a GT3?
Old 08-06-2015, 06:34 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

I disagree with the assumption that the RS lost or would lose all performance parameters with the LT. It is a fact that the LT will crush an RS in straight-line acceleration, but every other performance metric I would highly question. Braking, handling, ultimate lateral grip, etc.
Have you ever even driven a McLaren?
Old 08-06-2015, 07:35 PM
otismojo
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd give the RS the skid pad edge and maybe braking with those monster tires, but the rest of the measurements? I want to see real numbers. Mac might surprise us.

Quick Reply: Autocar: McLaren 675LT versus GT3 RS