Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   Why NOT to buy a 2016 GT3 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/886406-why-not-to-buy-a-2016-gt3.html)

DrJupeman 08-03-2015 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Earlierapex (Post 12480507)
Your wife will not want to ride to dinner in the gt3, it's loud and has a harsh suspension.

Originally Posted by Maverick787 (Post 12480590)
I agree with the OP the wife will not want to go to dinner in it unless she a racer.

My wife's car is an '07 GT3. I'm thankful for when she lets me drive it, usually Saturday nights when we get dinner. 997.1 GT3 harsher than 991, no?

She's not a racer (yet, kids got in the way of her track driving) but she does have more posts on Rennlist than me.

Incidentally, I totally agree with those who have commented on how the definition of "harsh" has shifted over the past few decades. I marvel at how cold my wife's GT3's AC is. Anyone have a mid 80s 911 that allegedly had AC?

Maverick787 08-03-2015 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by DrJupeman (Post 12480635)
My wife's car is an '07 GT3. I'm thankful for when she lets me drive it, usually Saturday nights when we get dinner. 997.1 GT3 harsher than 991, no?

She's not a racer (yet, kids got in the way of her track driving) but she does have more posts on Rennlist than me.

Incidentally, I totally agree with those who have commented on how the definition of "harsh" has shifted over the past few decades. I marvel at how cold my wife's GT3's AC is. Anyone have a mid 80s 911 that allegedly had AC?

Very cool, and racer or driver she qualifies dude! Congrats.

NMM991 08-03-2015 10:49 AM

Having owned both and tracked both (TTS for only a few days), I would recommend staying with the TTS if you don't plan to track. The GT3 is a very adequate DD in every sense; as others have stated the GT3 in not harsh in the true sense of the word and it very easy to drive on the roads. However, the GT3's PDK is noisy and a little annoying if you don't paddle shift, whereas the TTS's PDK is just as quick but less intrusive.

I really liked my TTS with full leather and and all the performance options and was very tempted to keep it, but economics drove my decision to only own one fun car in addition to a Cayenne (which is also a fun car). With four wheel drive, you can put snow tires on the TTS and get around in the winter as long as the roads on plowed.

Tough choice, I debated with myself for a long time.

TRAKCAR 08-03-2015 05:24 PM

If you can only have one and you ask, its always the TT.

viperz06 08-03-2015 06:37 PM

Fantastic responses! I took them all to heart . Going to keep the TT. Of course getting a 30k haircut the dealer offered did definitely play into the decision. I love the TT but would have given the GT3 a try if the deal had been 20-22k. Oh well there is always next year. TGLW

DrJupeman 08-03-2015 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR (Post 12481698)
If you can only have one and you ask, its always the TT.

Yes.

Alan C. 08-04-2015 12:24 AM

Anyone have a mid 80s 911 that allegedly had AC?
My 85 had cold AC between October and May. :thumbup:

Jon70 08-04-2015 12:53 PM

I daily drive my 2015 GT3. It is far superior in every way excluding rawness to the 2008 RS I used to own. Also, as many have mentioned, the resale will be far better than a Turbo. Get the GT3 and don't look back.

Tacet-Conundrum 08-04-2015 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by jusaur (Post 12479913)
Sorry. Is just based on my own experience.
Just compare prices on the web (autotrader, eBay, forums) or if you have access to manheim and compare TTS VS GT3 2012 and compare depreciations.
I don't think I am arrogant, nor a purist.
All is good. This is a great forum and let's keep it as is.

Don't compare values of cars made by the same maker. See the difference in value between Porsche & Mercedez, BMW, Lexus et al including Ferrari (which there are exceptions). But by in large that depreciation curve is, for Porsche, one if not the best in the industry for a company that makes thousand's of unit's per year.

Scorponok 08-04-2015 04:56 PM

Both will lose money, no doubt about it, the GT will just lose a bit less of it.

They are totally different cars IMO. The TT is a bit emotionless. Fast and cushy.

The GT3 screams and kicks at you, while the TT whispers with a swift shove to your lower back.

Your call on which experience you'd like more. I would prefer to be screamed at any day.

ezdriver 08-04-2015 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by jusaur (Post 12479913)
Sorry. Is just based on my own experience.
Just compare prices on the web (autotrader, eBay, forums) or if you have access to manheim and compare TTS VS GT3 2012 and compare depreciations.
I don't think I am arrogant, nor a purist.
All is good. This is a great forum and let's keep it as is.

Very nice response. Keep it classy. Now let's get back to the rumble....

est8esq 08-04-2015 09:41 PM

Don't let him fool you

Originally Posted by R.Deacon (Post 12479980)
Actually just a selfish recommendation , as the more 3's around the ring the more fun:burnout:

For those that don't know, Deacon is not what he appears. Be careful because he comes across as a really nice unassuming guy, but takes great satisfaction beating other 991 GT3's and spanking them on track. He purposely drive's his car w/ street tires to and from various venues, coaxes you into a relaxed air of friendship then rides your ass until you feel like you're driving a Miata, needing to move over with humility. There's another guy up north that's just like him. (If I said, "Manifold," I'd blow his cover too). Did I say that?:D

TRAKCAR 08-04-2015 10:30 PM

^^ It's true.

LAGinz 08-04-2015 10:34 PM

Why NOT to buy a 2016 GT3

Originally Posted by k997
Both will lose money, no doubt about it, the GT will just lose a bit less of it.

They are totally different cars IMO. The TT is a bit emotionless. Fast and cushy.

The GT3 screams and kicks at you, while the TT whispers with a swift shove to your lower back.

Your call on which experience you'd like more. I would prefer to be screamed at any day.

Exactly.......and +1!

goin2drt 08-05-2015 11:03 AM

Doesn't the OP already own a TT? So he is already going to take the hit on depreciation so why is that even a topic comparing GT3 with TT dep?

Like mentioned forget the $ if you can afford to take a hair cut with selling you car and want a totally different experience then get the GT3.