Rennlist Member

Received 1,585 Likes on 733 Posts

Or maybe even UV is available for a GT4
Old 07-29-2015, 01:05 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
So true. At the end of our Porsche Leipzig tour on Monday, I sat for 20 minutes at the 'Customer Center' ground floor cafe right behind the 'Lava Orange' 991 gt3 RS they have on display at the lobby!

And though I tried to take a number of photos from many angles, none was able to capture how the human eye sees that color in person! Camera lenses lie...and this is particularly true when we see what my camera (and many other cameras like mine) are capturing in 'Lava Orange'. If I was a color designer at Porsche, I would never propose a color that would be so different in person than in photographs, especially one that has been chosen as the 'communications color' for the introduction of this important model!

Regardless how many of us here at Rennlist & elsewhere are second-guessing inclusion of this new hue into the Porsche color palette, trust me when I tell you that PAG is fully committed to this color in a variety of 991 models for MY2016 & perhaps beyond! And as such, the color will be associated forever with this version of the RS and its resale value (as a color) should not be much of a concern. And if its any consolation, the actual color in real life is a lot 'softer' that the photos make it look and will not be mistaken for 'Guards Red' by most enthusiasts.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Castelsardo, Sardinia
I don't know if it's the lens or the lighting that "lies" but there is certainly a difference in how the color presents in photos. A vibrant and attractive orange hue in many indoor pics under some artificial lighting (like your shots) yet a milky salmon pink in outdoor pics in sunlight. If one plans to drive indoors Salmon (sorry....LO) might be the way to go!
Old 07-29-2015, 03:44 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
And though I tried to take a number of photos from many angles, none was able to capture how the human eye sees that color in person! Camera lenses lie...and this is particularly true when we see what my camera (and many other cameras like mine) are capturing in 'Lava Orange'.
Eduardo,

This is why I think looking for a reference of sorts within the photo is helpful (why I put that bottle of Gatorade in the shot.) Camera sensors will read the scene differently and render colors differently, even before getting to user defined settings like saturation and file format/rendering (e.g. jpeg, tiff, etc.) Seems like most sensors have a hard time getting flesh or orange-"ish" tones accurate in general right out of the camera without some post work. Then there is the issue of how colors are rendered on the average screen, and hardly anyone calibrates the color of their screen.

This is definitely one to see in person before you order! Glad I was denied the selection...
Old 07-29-2015, 08:54 PM
Tre
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure if I'd overly criticize LO after finally seeing it in person today on a Turbo S. Are most people upset that it's not a vibrant orange hue? Yes, it certainly is a softer color and can be seen as having a milky look in different angles. My eye definitely sees a orange hue in the shade and a more muted shade of orange in direct sunlight. I seemed to have picked up a bit of red when taking iPhone pictures. Overall, however, I wouldn't completely remove LO from the equation unless you either absolutely were looking for a 997 RS Orange or really wanted a different color. Otherwise, I'll keep mine with an LO spec unless that unicorn PTS window opens up again. I always have until Oct 15 to make changes before my spec locks.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:44 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts
Default LO vs GR

Not an RS, but my first live view of Lava Orange. Looking around at PPP in Dallas while waiting for the wife's Benz to get its annual checkup. Characterizations of it as a pinkish or salmon like hue are IMO dead on. Alas, no UV Porsches to compare with...T
Attached Images  
Old 07-30-2015, 03:54 PM
LAGinz
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default LO vs GR

When I was in Shanghai earlier this year there was a magazine in my hotel room which had a rendering of an LO RS on its cover. It was awesome--but nothing like these pics.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LO vs GR