Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GMG Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 03:41 AM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've talked with RSS and they haven't SPL'ed the 991 version of the X-pipe, but it's louder than OEM.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:23 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,019 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by neuroguru
I've talked with RSS and they haven't SPL'ed the 991 version of the X-pipe, but it's louder than OEM.
Same here. It's amazing how infrequently the makers of these exhausts do do tests on them given how often the question comes up.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:39 AM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 79 Posts

The RSS was newer to the bypass game, so it didn't make my trial list. I have an opportunity to test one out, but I'm think I'm done messing around with the exhaust. Although it does make me wonder what I'm missing.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:16 AM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default GMG Exhaust

Originally Posted by Money2536
The RSS was newer to the bypass game, so it didn't make my trial list. I have an opportunity to test one out, but I'm think I'm done messing around with the exhaust. Although it does make me wonder what I'm missing.
I feel like curiosity will get the best of you.
Old 08-23-2015, 05:34 PM
donutcritic
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Money2536... who makes the workbenches/cabinets in your garage?
Old 08-23-2015, 07:04 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by donutcritic
Money2536... who makes the workbenches/cabinets in your garage?
http://sabercabinets.com/
Old 09-16-2015, 10:35 PM
Bartron
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been a while. Finally got the GMG delivered early August and put it on mid/late August.

Installation: easy, took some lining up to get it centered horizontally, the vertical alignment was harder as I was never able to get the two tailpipes exactly level. Close enough though. The clamps were easy to put on but no torque numbers were given. I followed the German 'Guten Tight' specification. The bypass does not secure in the middle so I spaced it enough away from the OEM exhaust bracket to avoid contact with vibration.

Sound: Deeper, raspier than stock at idle. Exhaust button makes it louder or quieter (duh). I ended up avoiding the PSE button because I don't like the abrupt decrease in sound when starting out (as the valves close) and I don't find much practical difference in the valves opening a tad sooner with PSE on versus it off (3800 vs 4100 rpm approx). The sound is much more enjoyable around town as I can appreciate the exhaust with window open or closed and at reasonable speed.

Valves: Mainly came over a few days ago to listen to the exhaust and we went for a rip with the valves attached and then disconnected. I expected drone but was pleasantly surprised that the drone band was narrower than with the cup exhaust and the resonant drone frequency was at a higher and much less annoying frequency. The GMG with valves disconnected was pleasantly loud. I may try this on the track next time.

I'm working on an easy disconnect for the valves but I'll do that in a new thread.

Overall, another satisfied GMG customer. Thanks James and crew.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:55 AM
tgil
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

WTB used SW tips, 88mm, for my 997.1 GT3. Will consider black ceramic or raw stainless versions.

will also consider the 100mm if some bought them and thought they were too large.

Todd
703-627-8221
Old 09-17-2015, 12:28 PM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 450 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Bartron
Been a while. Finally got the GMG delivered early August and put it on mid/late August.

Installation: easy, took some lining up to get it centered horizontally, the vertical alignment was harder as I was never able to get the two tailpipes exactly level. Close enough though. The clamps were easy to put on but no torque numbers were given. I followed the German 'Guten Tight' specification. The bypass does not secure in the middle so I spaced it enough away from the OEM exhaust bracket to avoid contact with vibration.

Sound: Deeper, raspier than stock at idle. Exhaust button makes it louder or quieter (duh). I ended up avoiding the PSE button because I don't like the abrupt decrease in sound when starting out (as the valves close) and I don't find much practical difference in the valves opening a tad sooner with PSE on versus it off (3800 vs 4100 rpm approx). The sound is much more enjoyable around town as I can appreciate the exhaust with window open or closed and at reasonable speed.

Valves: Mainly came over a few days ago to listen to the exhaust and we went for a rip with the valves attached and then disconnected. I expected drone but was pleasantly surprised that the drone band was narrower than with the cup exhaust and the resonant drone frequency was at a higher and much less annoying frequency. The GMG with valves disconnected was pleasantly loud. I may try this on the track next time.

I'm working on an easy disconnect for the valves but I'll do that in a new thread.

Overall, another satisfied GMG customer. Thanks James and crew.
Glad to hear, we appreciate the support

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series
Old 09-18-2015, 09:08 AM
tgil
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I m a 997.1 GT3 with stock setup, but I watched your comprehensive video and you had me convinced the stock center with FVD side bypass was the way to go.
Glad i decided to go with SW tips to get my feet wet.
Instead of the tacky lic plate, go with CGM sticker somewhere subtle on your car , just a thought.
BTW, My friend from the Philly area (991 GT3 Agate Gray) met you on the last 991 GT3 drive.

Quick Reply: GMG Exhaust