Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you say is the percentage of GT3's that are unhappy garage queens?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 08:50 AM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 243 Posts
Default What would you say is the percentage of GT3's that are unhappy garage queens?

Obviously it's impossible to fully exercise these cars on the street. Unless you live in a remote mountain community with perfect roads. That would be lovely.

But how many of these cars never see the track, percentage wise? And in that case of ownership, why would someone not want a more road going set-up, with a little more clearance, a little softer ride, and manual gearbox? Maybe even a back seat.

I guess it ties into thinking of the car as resale potential. Which is not unlike an artist thinking about what kind of art one should make for the market. You're dead at that point.

I get a feeling from the car when I'm up it, that it's smiling and that it's happy. The rhythm and feelings that develop seem so true and purpose driven in those moments. The concerns of life seem to disappear. It might be the only time my thoughts are turned off and I am only thinking of the next turn and the machine I am piloting. There are those moments when it happens on the street, but it's 20 seconds here and 15 seconds there, interrupted by the pothole approaching. A handful in a period of months and years. At least in the congested areas I live.

I had a 911 before this car with beautiful paint and pretty features. I worried about it getting marks. I didn't want to park it anywhere. When I got the GT3 I felt relief from all that. It was 50k more, but to me it feels like a car that can show off its wear proudly. It might even go beyond that, the looks being irrelevant completely and the internals being all that matter. If that makes a future buyer less interested in paying top dollar, so be it. Less worry, more drive!

Last edited by Ceepe; 07-19-2015 at 06:01 PM.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:12 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts
Default What would you say is the percentage of GT3's that are unhappy garage queens?

+1

A GT3 is a tool to go fast, not stay pretty.
I get upset when I get marks and scrubs when not in combat. Really hate it. On the track it doesn't matter - just proof that the car has been used.

/NotAGarageQueen
Old 07-18-2015, 09:41 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

two great posts...
wear the marks proudly!
Old 07-18-2015, 12:09 PM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Along the same lines - my PCA chapter had its annual concours d'elegance several weeks ago. Cars were there that looked like they only saw the light of day once a year. I found myself wishing that I'd just come directly from a track day, with marble smears, dirt and bugs on the car. It would have been a great contrast. "They obsess over their cars, I play with mine!"

Sadly, it had been a few weeks and I'd already washed it. I'm going to keep this in mind for next year. I don't know if people will laugh or throw stones at me for my disrespect.

DMoore
'15 GT3
'13 Panamera GTS
Old 07-18-2015, 12:44 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Add mine to the list of unhappy garage queens, not because of concern of damage etc but I've emotionally moved on from the car so only take it out when I need to use it - rather than pleasure drives. Nothing I want to replace it with until the RS arrives, so it just sits there unhappy and unloved...
Old 07-18-2015, 12:52 PM
NSD991
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 112 Posts

Unhappy here. A daily driver and no track time. I know exactly what you a referring to in those rare moments when the car gets opened up!
Old 07-18-2015, 12:56 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While mine is looking pretty sitting in the garage it is not for long. With and wrap and C Quarts Finest it stays looking good but.................

I live in the Mountains you mention with many very lightly traveled roads. It is here where I like to wonder; just me, at one with my machine.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:08 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
two great posts...
wear the marks proudly!
Not pointing fingers at mooty - he's what he says he is - but many people who say this and other things like chip marks are only patina, and track driving does not influence resale, then say/post - "I came to see that car, and it had some chips on a bumper, so I just left". Pisses me off.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:34 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Take a look at the inside of your exhaust pipes. If they're sooty and black you have an unhappy garage queen. If they're a clean and light gray you have a happy, properly used car. Mine are gray....
Old 07-18-2015, 01:45 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Take a look at the inside of your exhaust pipes. If they're sooty and black you have an unhappy garage queen. If they're a clean and light gray you have a happy, properly used car. Mine are gray....
Mine are covered with some white crystals.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:55 PM
ezdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not everyone has to track their car to enjoy it thoroughly. People who own collection of cars for example. I won't say that they don't enjoy their cars. enjoyment comes in different shapes, sizes and colors....

I enjoy my C4S when at high speeds.
Old 07-18-2015, 02:24 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Yes, but this post is about a car that is a purpose built weapon, with a threshold so high it cannot be fully experienced on public roads. At least most roads. Certainly cruising around in a mint E-type could be enjoyable.
Old 07-18-2015, 02:32 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Ceepe
threshold so high it cannot be fully experienced on public roads.
As is the case for all of today's modern high end sports cars.

People enjoy cars and material things in different ways. I don't make judgment on how other people decide to spend their hard earned money.

There's a pretty diverse group on Rennlist with guys "into" many different aspects of car ownership.

Mods
Tracking
Detailing
DIY
Audio
Street Driving
New car every 6 months

You get the picture. Whatever makes you happy..

My guess, non-tracked GT3's? I'd say well over 50%
Old 07-18-2015, 02:38 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

All true. My posts sound like a judgmental D bag. Ignore me, I don't know what I'm saying.
Old 07-18-2015, 02:45 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Ceepe
All true. My posts sound like a judgmental D bag. Ignore me, I don't know what I'm saying.
Ha ha

I think you do have a point. All the concern about finding and advertising "non tracked" cars, when in theory it really shouldn't matter but it does.

Then everyone worried about resale if they indeed do use it as intended.

It's a vicious circle.

Just drive it how you want and have fun. Don't worry about the resale.

Last edited by STG; 07-18-2015 at 03:20 PM.

Quick Reply: What would you say is the percentage of GT3's that are unhappy garage queens?