Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you say is the percentage of GT3's that are unhappy garage queens?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 04:12 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Gastrogt3
First post from a long-time lurker and new GT3 owner...

A great topic, coz it's so much about why I sweated bullets for months waiting on this car's arrival. I spent a day on the track in a GT3 last November; it was 40°C and my fastest lap of the day was my 40th and last, the 160th lap for the car between 4 drivers. Wow, what a chariot. Two days later I ordered my own. Now that I have it for myself, I love the sound and the feel of it, whether it's grumbling at me in heavy traffic or let loose on twisties. I drive it every day and while I've always loved my job, knowing the GT3 is waiting for me in the morning makes getting out of bed just that bit easier. While some suggest "why not a 911S" if it's not going to be pushed out to 9K, I've just migrated from a 911S, and this car just does everything better, not least looks and sounds, so I have a new respect for anybody who coddles this thing and keeps it gentle. What's wrong with sitting there with that inane smile, on packed city streets?

But ultimately, I would really struggle to justify a beast with this glorious potential, this astonishing capacity to be pushed, without tracking it. Maybe it's partly because with cage, LWBs, extinguisher, I've already committed myself, but for me, there really is no option. I just can't wait...
Nice first post, Michael! Welcome and congrats.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:54 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's the answer. Which 911 you should be in that is.
Attached Images  
Old 07-23-2015, 02:01 AM
Pazzo009
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

Ummmmmmm^^^^^ that's awesome and spot on.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:13 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aamersa
That is great! I've not seen that before.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:27 AM
Gastrogt3
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

^^^What a hoot.
GT3 owners = honest simpletons who need the shortest path through a flow chart
Old 07-23-2015, 09:12 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

LOL, good one!
Old 07-23-2015, 09:27 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,005 Posts

You paid for it enjoy it how you see fit is how I see it.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:05 PM
viprklr
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Had my 991 GT3 since 4/1. Took delivery with 18 miles. Currently at 580 miles . Not sure if that qualifies. Too many cars, too much work & lots of rain contributed.
Old 07-25-2015, 12:43 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
I disagree. The slower and inexperienced run groups are more dangerous. In the experienced groups, people are usually predictable and the closing speeds aren't as bad as being in the lower run groups. You know what people are going to do and there usually is courteous driving with no one having to prove themselves. This is a generalization of course.
+1. I tried to get out of the lower groups as fast as I could. We were all beginners once, but some of those guys were really scary.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:23 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,744 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Originally Posted by rockitman
I agree about the need to track the car at least once...(you will do more..trust) When you go for the first handful of times you are in the beginning runs groups, which imo are safer than the advanced groups...cars are slower, you don't have multiple cars stuck to your *** like the advanced red groups and the track testosterone is at a much lower level with well run track day outfits...this all points to an enjoyable and safe track day for your car and you.
Originally Posted by kyrocks
I disagree. The slower and inexperienced run groups are more dangerous. In the experienced groups, people are usually predictable and the closing speeds aren't as bad as being in the lower run groups. You know what people are going to do and there usually is courteous driving with no one having to prove themselves. This is a generalization of course.
Originally Posted by rockitman
Depends on the track day outfit...ime when you first start out you have an instructor keeping the newby drivers in check...Unlike that corvette viral dude chasing the gt3

Ps: another factor is how many cars are there on the track in each run group. Advanced groups seem to have more cars, more chances for incidents.
Originally Posted by Need4S
+1. I tried to get out of the lower groups as fast as I could. We were all beginners once, but some of those guys were really scary.
I've seen some national data, as well as data of one of the larger pca regions. Both showed a somewhat lower incident rate for student groups. And the comments from rockitman generally fit my experience of driving and instructing with about a dozen organizations at about a dozen tracks in the mid-atlantic and northeast. Of course, it's possible that a particular organization may have a higher incident rate in the student groups, in which case I'd say they have a problem they really need to sort out.

Last edited by Manifold; 07-25-2015 at 08:45 AM.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:52 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by aamersa
Absolutely love this. Funny and true. Thanks for posting.

Seems crazy to not drive the hell out of these cars.

Quick Reply: What would you say is the percentage of GT3's that are unhappy garage queens?