Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you say is the percentage of GT3's that are unhappy garage queens?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 09:06 PM
916Bob
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WSH
I think the only ones who are unhappy are the people (owners) who insist on telling others how to use their car.

I am a firm believer that when it is your money and your car you can do whatever the F you want with it....track, daily driver, concours, garage queen.

Why are you bothered with what others do ? I'm not. I do what I want with my cars, not because of resale or bragging rights or ego. I just use them in a manner that I enjoy.

Bill
You are completely right, BUT....

I can't help but feel frustrated knowing that the vast majority of 991 GT3 RS's will be bought either as investments or as garage queens. And that I likely will never have the chance to purchase one first hand. And that I won't have the opportunity to track the crap out of it as I believe intended by design. That's why I'm bothered.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:31 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 668 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I always thought it looked great coming off the track all dirty. Sometimes it took weeks to get it washed.
This ^
Old 07-18-2015, 09:36 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

Interesting post. I have a GT3 and do not track. It is also a garage queen. Yet, it gets 400-500 Miles per month until the winter but I love the car and enjoy it thoroughly. I love the high revving NA engine. Love the rawness and the precision in which it carves corners. PIus I think it is one of the best looking sports cars out there. Love the wing on the 991 model. So- you do not need to track to enjoy this toy. Actually, there are so many posts commenting that if you do not track you are wasting this car- it puts a grin on my face every time I turn that key
Old 07-18-2015, 09:41 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 606 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by WSH
I think the only ones who are unhappy are the people (owners) who insist on telling others how to use their car.

I am a firm believer that when it is your money and your car you can do whatever the F you want with it....track, daily driver, concours, garage queen.

Why are you bothered with what others do ? I'm not. I do what I want with my cars, not because of resale or bragging rights or ego. I just use them in a manner that I enjoy.

Bill
I'm terribly unhappy and judgmental. I did apologize for it. All uses and pleasures are equal in the world of 991 GT3's.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:48 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Originally Posted by 916Bob
You are completely right, BUT....

I can't help but feel frustrated knowing that the vast majority of 991 GT3 RS's will be bought either as investments or as garage queens. And that I likely will never have the chance to purchase one first hand. And that I won't have the opportunity to track the crap out of it as I believe intended by design. That's why I'm bothered.
And this ^
Old 07-18-2015, 09:59 PM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Even if I haven't track YET. I do enjoy my car. It's was used on the smokes drive, and A few other trips to the mountains. It gets dirty on those drives but I love to clean it. So the next time it gets out even for a quick trip, its clean. I enjoy the little drives even if I can't push the limits as long as I get a few 9k shifts, I'm happy.. Enjoy it whatever way you can.
Old 07-18-2015, 10:05 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by WSH

Bill
perfectly said....

if a couple wants to build a $30 million mansion with 28 bedrooms and only use 1 or 2....who am I to judge?
How about the guy who buys 50 Patek Phillipe's and doesn't wear them daily?

People work hard for their money and shouldn't be told how to enjoy it..
Old 07-19-2015, 12:00 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,554 Likes on 2,587 Posts

Another aspect is that if you track the car often and hard, road driving may feel especially anti-climactic. Kind of like when you turn down the volume of your audio system after you've had it cranked up for a while. OTOH, if you're not used to cranking it up, 'normal' volume levels may seem loud enough.
Old 07-19-2015, 02:50 AM
reuben991
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

How comfortable is the GT3 i.e. how many of you would be happy to use it for your daily commute in traffic on the freeway?
Old 07-19-2015, 02:57 AM
GregJGT3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by reuben991
How comfortable is the GT3 i.e. how many of you would be happy to use it for your daily commute in traffic on the freeway?
It's perfectly fine. This is my DD. It is not like driving a MB SL. As others said a little raw in that you have more road noise - more tire/road noise and you hear the pebbles hitting the underside of the fenders. BUT that's the attraction for me. as far as suspension compliance as good as my previous BMW M3.

Last edited by GregJGT3; 07-19-2015 at 09:55 AM.
Old 07-19-2015, 03:56 AM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Easy peasy, all day every day. Compliant enough for MN roads. Leave it in auto get a cuppa joe and drive to work or knock it into manual head for a "B" road and click off 9,000rpm shifts. It's an amazing car from a dual nature standpoint. First PDK I have owned and I am diggin it...
Old 07-19-2015, 08:28 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,068 Likes on 609 Posts

i agree with WSH
I don't track my car, but I enjoy it every time i drive it
Also as a father of 2 young men , I enjoy when i see their smile getting out of the GT3
Old 07-19-2015, 08:50 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Even with buckets it's very comfortable - I've spent 6 hours in a single day with no issues and I have some back problems from many years of Rugby.

It's much more comfortable than prior 3s, imo it's a better street car than track car.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:51 AM
RFGGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have enjoyed every minute behind the wheel of this car on the street. The first track day and every other one up to now is over the top for mein appreciating what a great machine we are fortunate enough to own.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:30 AM
Pazzo009
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

I track mine 3-4 times annually. I exercise a special level of caution because I do not want to chance damaging the car. I also have a E36 M3 track car to drive harder.

This is and always will be a heated debate. You have guys that are purists and track the **** out of their cars. Then you have guys who bought the car because it was pretty and they think if they take it on a back road and hit some turns they have got the experience of the car. I found that hilarious and profoundly ignorant. I got **** last time for saying this, but I will say it again. Anyone who buys a GT3 and doesn't take it to the track at least once is doing themselves a disservice. You could have bought a C2S and you wouldn't know the difference.

People have argued with me that they can take their GT3 on a twisty road and get the full experience. Thats absurd. You can't get your tires to temp, you can't properly apex, you can't improve on your line, and you can't legally do it.

To each is own and it's your money and your car. Enjoy it, you've probably worked really hard to achieve it. All I'm saying and some others, is this car was designed and engineered to be on a circuit. It is truly sublime. I take guys for a ride on the track and they are either nauseous or giggling like a 5 year old. Every GT3 owner should experience this at least once.

Quick Reply: What would you say is the percentage of GT3's that are unhappy garage queens?