Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you say is the percentage of GT3's that are unhappy garage queens?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 02:46 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

I've been reading the threads on how to take delivery of the car and not ruin the paint. Leave delivery plastic on, don't wash it, tape it up when driving home. Sheesh. It's a frickin car. I really don't understand the fuss. I just don't. I'm **** with my car but it is a car that is meant to be driven. The enjoyment I get is from the drive, not the possession of a shiny car in the garage.
Old 07-18-2015, 04:21 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
I'm **** with my car but it is a car that is meant to be driven. The enjoyment I get is from the drive, not the possession of a shiny car in the garage.
I enjoy both! Drive it good and keep it looking good.
Old 07-18-2015, 04:29 PM
Sean in Texas
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 40 Posts

Using the exhaust pipe measuring stick, my car is unhappy. It is no garage queen however. I fully intend to track, but it has been one thing after another, expense wise, this year.

Dropped a bunch of money on an Africa trip in Feb, which had already been planned before I even knew I would get an allocation, and am now having to repaint the exterior of the house about 2 years earlier than planned. Note to everyone - wood siding is expensive to maintain.

Just a series of 10k-20k expenses has slowed me down from buying an extra set of wheels and tires.

I'll get there, eventually.
Old 07-18-2015, 04:37 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

This "track weapon" hyperbole misses the mark. The car doesn't have to live on the track or in the garage. I enjoy the drive whenever I'm behind the wheel. The GT3 reminds me more of my father's 70s 911s than any of the modern 911s I've owned. The whole package is Porsche sports car at its best, street or track. That's the only justification I need, and the exhaust soot is grey by the way.
Old 07-18-2015, 04:47 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I enjoy both! Drive it good and keep it looking good.
Awesome! Best of both worlds.
Old 07-18-2015, 04:50 PM
GregJGT3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ceepe
Yes, but this post is about a car that is a purpose built weapon, with a threshold so high it cannot be fully experienced on public roads. At least most roads. Certainly cruising around in a mint E-type could be enjoyable.
We'll, I think you need to look at the name GT3. That stands for GT= "Grand Tourismo". In other words a grand touring car. That is exactly what the GT3 is a great touring car capable of exciting performance and able to gobble up roads with ease. The Porsches "made for the track" are the GT3R, GT3 RSR, GT3cup, and GT3RS ( though here R=Race, S=street). So to define the GT3 as "a track weapon" and "unhappy when not on the track" defies the intent of the car and it's disignation.
Old 07-18-2015, 04:53 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by GregJGT3
We'll, I think you need to look at the name GT3. That stands for GT= "Grand Tourismo". In other words a grand touring car. That is exactly what the GT3 is a great touring car capable of exciting performance and able to gobble up roads with ease. The Porsches "made for the track" are the GT3R, GT3 RSR, GT3cup, and GT3RS ( though here R=Race, S=street). So to define the GT3 as "a track weapon" and "unhappy when not on the track" defies the intent of the car and it's disignation.
Was about to post the same thing, 991 3 to me is 75% street and 25% track, RS is hopefully more like 50/50 in its setup, but I won't know until it arrives.
Old 07-18-2015, 05:00 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

You said it much better than I did. +1
Old 07-18-2015, 05:08 PM
GregJGT3
Pro

Originally Posted by djcxxx
This "track weapon" hyperbole misses the mark. The car doesn't have to live on the track or in the garage. I enjoy the drive whenever I'm behind the wheel. The GT3 reminds me more of my father's 70s 911s than any of the modern 911s I've owned. The whole package is Porsche sports car at its best, street or track. That's the only justification I need, and the exhaust soot is grey by the way.
You hit that right on point. My first Porsche was a 1970 911E. I loved that car and this 991 GT3 takes me right back there with enough modern improvements for me to love driving it every day. I frankly think this is the best 911 Porsche ever if you plan to use it and enjoy how it functions in today's environment with no regrets in missing the tech advances we have all become used to and think are intolerable without.
Old 07-18-2015, 05:18 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 243 Posts

Sure, it's not the most track oriented that the company produces. All I am talking about is how this particular car feels when run hard. I don't connect in the same way on the street. Call it what you will. It likes space.

Sure it drives well enough for a road trip and can be enjoyed on the street.
Old 07-18-2015, 05:30 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I always thought it looked great coming off the track all dirty. Sometimes it took weeks to get it washed.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:14 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I always thought it looked great coming off the track all dirty. Sometimes it took weeks to get it washed.
To me, a dirty car just looks dirty. A race car may be filthy at the end of the day but it also should again look as good as possible, ASAP. You'll never see a professional team show up with crappy looking cars and there's no honor in presenting with a car that looks bad, IMVHO. TEHO, but I like my cars to always look as good as they drive.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:16 PM
GregJGT3
Pro

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
To me, a dirty car just looks dirty. A race car may be filthy at the end of the day but it also should again look as good as possible, ASAP. You'll never see a professional team show up with crappy looking cars and there's no honor in presenting with a car that looks bad, IMVHO. TEHO, but I like my cars to always look as good as they drive.
^^^
Old 07-18-2015, 06:46 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

High speed dirt streaks are way cool.
Old 07-18-2015, 07:52 PM
WSH
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 68 Posts

I think the only ones who are unhappy are the people (owners) who insist on telling others how to use their car.

I am a firm believer that when it is your money and your car you can do whatever the F you want with it....track, daily driver, concours, garage queen.

Why are you bothered with what others do ? I'm not. I do what I want with my cars, not because of resale or bragging rights or ego. I just use them in a manner that I enjoy.

Bill

Quick Reply: What would you say is the percentage of GT3's that are unhappy garage queens?