Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some GT3s getting their engine replaced - again

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 06:16 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

Another reason to put as many miles as possible on the car during the warranty time period. If it breaks, then back to the dealer. That's my plan. Go for a drive, go to the track.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:47 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,803 Likes on 2,200 Posts

Originally Posted by zedcat
Another reason to put as many miles as possible on the car during the warranty time period. If it breaks, then back to the dealer. That's my plan. Go for a drive, go to the track.
+1, that's my plan. Got my car in January and now have almost 10K miles, about a third of them track miles.
Old 07-17-2015, 06:54 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

+2 if Anyone can get a limp mode, kill brakes, break exhaust i say I'm a proven good contender...
Old 07-17-2015, 10:08 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,796 Likes on 4,779 Posts

Originally Posted by sportscentury
I actually had the opposite thought. Because most of the 1GT3s haven't really been driven much (at least judging from how many low-mile 1GT3s have been offered for sale), what additional problems might surface as time passes and these cars are driven more/harder? Not something I'm going to worry about, but this did cross my mind when I first read the article.
^This.

Didn't the same issue/phenomenon affect the 7.1 and 7.2 GT3s? Something about that lightweight flywheel ...
Old 07-17-2015, 10:13 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why worry about anything that's out of our control. We have our car's now so just go out and enjoy them, worry about it later if something happens.
Old 07-18-2015, 11:22 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by bronson7
Why worry about anything that's out of our control. We have our car's now so just go out and enjoy them, worry about it later if something happens.
Agree. And if there are more problems, PAG has shown they will be good about resolving them.
Old 07-18-2015, 03:24 PM
993RR
Pro

Received 187 Likes on 123 Posts

Agree, however will it dissuade people from taking the plunge a few years from now, or will the car carry a discount just as the Mezger engines carry a premium?
Old 07-18-2015, 04:18 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 993RR
Agree, however will it dissuade people from taking the plunge a few years from now, or will the car carry a discount just as the Mezger engines carry a premium?
No and no....unless this blows up way beyond what we're hearing now, it will be a non-issue a few years from now.
Old 07-18-2015, 04:39 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 422 Likes on 250 Posts

If 9A1 fault ratio would ever reach "Mezger" ones
only then 991 value will double
Old 07-18-2015, 08:28 PM
vtxdrew
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My engine was one that was replaced

My engine has been replaced, again, after the valvetrain issues that are referenced here. My 14 GT3 now has a 16 engine. Makes me wonder if everyone will have a new engine replacement again. Porsche didn't blink once the grooved camshaft was found by my tech. And they pointed him right to it once the error codes started popping up.

That being said, I'm almost done with another 2000 mile break in and bringing it to the track this week! Can't wait!!!!
Old 07-18-2015, 08:42 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by vtxdrew
My engine has been replaced, again, after the valvetrain issues that are referenced here. My 14 GT3 now has a 16 engine. Makes me wonder if everyone will have a new engine replacement again. Porsche didn't blink once the grooved camshaft was found by my tech. And they pointed him right to it once the error codes started popping up.

That being said, I'm almost done with another 2000 mile break in and bringing it to the track this week! Can't wait!!!!
How many miles on your second engine before the problem showed up? Thanks.
Old 07-18-2015, 08:55 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

...was waiting for you to chime in Andy.
Old 07-18-2015, 10:26 PM
snabbgt3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great you're back on the road ... sounds like this engine replacement happened more than just a few weeks ago ...

Would you let us know:
1. How long was your GT3 out of commission, i.e days from when dealer took car and date you had re-delivery?
2. Was your 2014 GT3 an early or late production car (month/year)?
3. Did you receive $$ compensation for the period of no use, and did you get a loaner vehicle?
4. Did they specify precisely what part(s)/mechanism failed?

Since you received a completely new engine again, they may not have told you which part(s)/mechanism may be different w/respect to your previous engine (which was your 2nd engine for the car). Do you think they simply gave you a 2016 engine currently in production.

Thx for any info you can provide us.
Old 07-18-2015, 11:11 PM
CARFANATICA
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I have a 2014 GT3 which they paid me the $2k month for until delivery last Fall....as I was original April delivery.....well after 3,500 miles...and a lot of track miles...I received a piston misfire message and car went into limp mode (a few weeks ago). I figured it was something simple......dealer replaced coil pack, then fuel injector...then I get a call that porsche is air freighting over a brand new engine.....the speed of this decision only means to me that other similar issues are out there. Maybe my car is part of the dirty dozen mentioned earlier in this thread...but I doubt it. Engine took a few days to get here...installed in 2 days....she's back and running nicely...My lava orange RS is OCT....hoping all these kinks r worked out. Additionally I also have growing cracks around perimeter of headlights...NOT from impact....but need more to chime in to get a warranty case. Anyway....I'm still driving the crap out of it and not worried about all of this, but thought I'd share given the relevance to this thread!
Old 07-19-2015, 12:49 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Wow.

Quick Reply: Some GT3s getting their engine replaced - again