Some GT3s getting their engine replaced - again

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 03:55 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,770 Likes on 4,771 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Interesting, can you tell me more? And good point Mike in CA.
My only point was that race engines are used much differently than street engines, even if the same type of engine is at issue.

From what I understand, Porsche race cars/engines with a redline of 9k are rebuilt every 100 hours of track duty (some much less) before being rebuilt.

The same engine in a street application, I doubt would have the same tolerances or parameters for a rebuild.

Yet both in their own way would probably be considered reliable and durable.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:20 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

At 13700 miles, the second thermostat replacement. I had also done the 12k service which included oil & air filter change, and replacement of spark plugs. Engine is still running stronger than ever without any issues what so ever. On the subject of thermostats replacement, the first one was changed shortly after 2k miles, and the second one started acting up back in July where it got stuck open on couple of occasions then worked fine, till last week, where it was permanently stock open (partially), where oil temperatures takes twice as long to get to normal operating temperatures and I have decided to bite the bullet and get it replaced before it fails completely. It was changed under warranty and it was in stock at Porsche dealership. Again I consider the thermostat a wear item like brake pads or wipers, but would hope they upgrade its design so it can last longer. Still extremely happy with a trouble free car. Mark
Old 11-07-2015, 04:25 PM
Fl0pp3r
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting post over on pistonheads.com from one 991GT3 owner who's just had a recall letter from Porsche for new updated Coil Pack and Spark Plugs. Explanation is typically Porsche marketing flavoured, but I thought might tie in with the engine code fault reports you guys have been discussing:

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...E%2E&mid=87394

Quick Reply: Some GT3s getting their engine replaced - again