Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Visit to Porsche & Germany - July 2015

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 03:38 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Food Place Recommendation in Düsseldorf...

Our friend Michael Heinemann took us to Bar Olio in Düsseldorf tonight for our farewell dinner.
A delightful/hip place that we recommend to anyone visiting this prosperous, modern & dynamic
German city on the Rhine!

The heat wave in Germany was broken today. It was cool & rainy in the state of 'North Rhine - Westphalia'.
That is the more typical German weather I remember from past visits!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Our last night in Düsseldorf!
Old 07-26-2015, 02:31 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Update on "Magic Bamboo Metallic"

I came across this ad(http://m.auto-m.fr/site/fr/searchcar...RBON-PASM-PDLS), and they claim the Cayenne S Diesel listed is Magic Bamboo Metallic! It is curious that the Glasurit website listed Magic Bamboo Metallic under 911 (and not under Cayenne). On the German configurator, this colour does not exist for the Cayenne, and it does not appear to be any other green Cayenne colour I am familiar with. So is this indeed Magic Bamboo Metallic, as they claim? And if so, is it also coming to the 911 soon? This isn't exactly what I imagined when I heard about this colour...

Old 07-26-2015, 04:12 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default Nein 'Magic Bamboo Metallic'...

Nein, Daniel. Dealer in Köln is just confused. The car is listed as 'black' on their own website:

http://www.porsche-koeln.de/de/gebra...ln,619911.html

But its definite some sort of 'olive green metallic' hue like one we used to have on the 911 not that long ago.

It's a used SUV. In service date seems to be July 2013, so a recent Model Year Cayenne. No PTS that I know for this model and does not photograph as 'Jet Green Metallic' :

Perhaps someone local here in Germany can contact this dealership and clarify the issue of color (name, code, etc).

Just from the expression on the faces of the 'Porsche Exclusive' folks I had lunch on Friday July 17th at Zuffenhausen when I casually mentioned 'Magic Bamboo Metallic', I can assure you that this color is brand spanking new & coming soon!

And it's not this older 'olive green metallic' color! But keep up the excellent 'detective' work...you are on a roll with 'Bamboo'!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Düsseldorf

PS Daniel: Every time I tried to quote what you post, it doesn't show up in the reply...or worse, locks it out. Try it and see if there is a particular problem with something in it.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:12 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default Recommendation for hotel in Düsseldorf

We spent 3 days at the Derag Livinghotel de Medici near the Rhine & shopping district of Düsseldorf.

https://www.deraghotels.de/hotel-de-medici-duesseldorf/

This was the most modernized hotel (redone of an old historic building) in our stay in Germany. It had air conditioning...which was great! Beautiful modern room, great bathroom, etc. My wife & I strongly recommended to anyone looking for a strategically located place to stay in Düsseldorf (note...if you are bringing your partner with you). Our rate was Euro 166 per night, plus 20 for parking our rental car.

Saludos,
Eduardo
On our way to Leipzig
Old 07-26-2015, 09:51 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Originally Posted by Z356
Nein, Daniel. Dealer in Köln is just confused. The car is listed as 'black' on their own website:

But its definite some sort of 'olive green metallic' hue like one we used to have on the 911 not that long ago.

PS Daniel: Every time I tried to quote what you post, it doesn't show up in the reply...or worse, locks it out.
Ya, the colour info on this car is all over the map. The French website states it is metallic green, and in the detailed description actually lists "Magic Bamboo Metallic," which is completely uncanny! I mean, how in the world did they come up with that specific name anyway, for a colour that hasn't even been announced!!! Something fishy about this ad, but I'm not sure whether the photo is wrong, or doctored, or just an incorrect description to go with it?!!

I wondered the same thing, but the olive green metallic Cayennes were older models apparently I believe, and this one is newer.

I (and others) have encountered the same quoting problem on RL of late, although I did try just now to quote and it worked.

Hopefully someone can find more information to resolve this! Given the reaction you saw, I am inclined to believe there is more to the story of this colour too!
Old 07-26-2015, 12:22 PM
number 9
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by anonymous918
sweet! you going to love it. and it looks like she has Stabilizers which matters a lot if weather doesn't cooperate. i'll be on a slightly bigger one in Adriatic in a week -- good to see we synchronized our yachting trips
:speachlesslystaringstraightaheadwithmothagape: :drool:
Old 07-26-2015, 12:29 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

Just spent 3 weeks in Europe. May be going back for good sometime.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:52 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

keep the details coming
Old 07-26-2015, 06:33 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default 'Classic Remise'...Plus 981 Spyder & 991 gt3 sighting!

On my way out of Düsseldorf this morning for my trip to Leipzig, I stopped at 'Classic Remise'. This is an 'auto experience' that I recommend to all auto enthusiasts that visit the Düsseldorf area. It's an auto consignment sales, restoration shops, car storage & car-related businesses 'concept' that hasn't yet caught fire in America.

http://remise.de/Classic-Remise-Dues...sh-summary.php

But the concept is becoming quite popular in Germany...and it's beginning to be seen at various other major metropolis (e.g. http://www.motorworld.de/stuttgart/). I will be posting more about what I saw at 'Classic Remise' at a future date on this thread!

And in the customer parking area today, one freshly delivered 981 Spyder held court! There must have been 20 people surrounding the Spyder, admiring it & asking questions of its owner! The later seemed to be affiliated with the Porsche Club of Dortmund (my guess due to the shirt he was wearing) and had a license plate of nearby Essen (North-Rhine-Westphalia) on his Spyder! This was the only car on the parking lot - and there were a lot of interesting sports cars parked there by visitors to 'Classic Remise' - that had gathered a bunch of enthusiastic 'groupies' around it. It was fascinating to watch!

Finally, for the first time on my 11 days of travel in Germany, I was able to get briefly behind a 991 gt3 on the autobahn as I was heading out to Leipzig from Düsseldorf! But not for long...it sped away & disappeared into the distance quickly. And even though I was pushing it, my rental Mercedes A Class 180 was not powerful enough to keep up with it!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Leipzig
Old 07-26-2015, 07:26 PM
<3mph
Drifting

I stopped at 'Classic Remise'
Wish they had more of that sort of thing in Canada. Unfortunately, salt, snow, and poor winter driving conditions generally, and for months on end, wreak rusty havoc on vintage cars around here. I guess it limits the market for these gorgeous cars.

Finally, for the first time on my 11 days of travel in Germany, I was able to get briefly behind a 991 gt3 on the autobahn as I was heading out to Leipzig from Düsseldorf! But not for long...it sped away & disappeared into the distance quickly. And even though I was pushing it, my rental Mercedes A Class 180 was not powerful enough to keep up with it!
"Ja, ze American touristen in zer rental Mercedes are immer chasink me and trying to take photos of mein G-T-drei!"
--as posted on the does your GT3 make people drive crazy around you-Düsseldorf thread.

Last edited by <3mph; 07-26-2015 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:44 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

On my way out of Düsseldorf this morning for my trip to Leipzig, I stopped at 'Classic Remise'. This is an 'auto experience' that I recommend to all auto enthusiasts that visit the Düsseldorf area. It's an auto consignment sales, restoration shops, car storage & car-related businesses 'concept' that hasn't yet caught fire in America.

But the concept is becoming quite popular in Germany...and it's beginning to be seen at various other major metropolis (e.g. http://www.motorworld.de/stuttgart/). I will be posting more about what I saw at 'Classic Remise' at a future date on this thread!
Last month I was pursuing a car offered by Movendi at CR, but was not impressed with their lack of follow through and reluctance to provide requested information. I don't even think they were in possession of the car they were advertising. Scrapped the idea, and with it a visit to CR when I was in Germany last week.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:58 AM
981GT4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Eduardo for your wonderful posts and sharing your vast knowledge of Porsche.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:26 PM
m4ever
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Eduardo
thank you for the great educational activity on PTS .
I have personally seen Magic Bamboo metallic during a visit in Leipzig in October 14' . We had hot laps with a Panamera GTS and this car was painted in this exact color (I know this because I had specifically asked to check the color name - as I am also a fan of PTS) . It is indeed very similar to the Cayenne posted above . It looks great in real (I am a fan of green colors on Porsche though).
I will try to find out the pictures of this Panamera and post them.
Regards
Alex
Old 07-27-2015, 04:27 PM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by m4ever
Hi Eduardo
I have personally seen Magic Bamboo metallic during a visit in Leipzig in October 14' . We had hot laps with a Panamera GTS and this car was painted in this exact color (I know this because I had specifically asked to check the color name - as I am also a fan of PTS) . It is indeed very similar to the Cayenne posted above . It looks great in real (I am a fan of green colors on Porsche though).
I will try to find out the pictures of this Panamera and post them.
Regards
Alex
Will be interesting to see if your pictures do match the "TBA" MBM color as Eduardo tells us it is a brand new color?!? Not disputing what you're saying but hard to imagine if the car was painted in the "new" MBM over 9 months ago? Love to see your photos please. This color has got me all excited, until Daniel deflated me momentarily with those shots of the Cayenne!!!
Old 07-27-2015, 05:54 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default 'Magic Bamboo Metallic'...and the new 'Graphit Blau Metallic'!

What a great investigative team we have at Rennlist! First we have Daniel finding out about a Cayenne in Germany that one of the websites has listed as 'Magic Bamboo Metallic'.

I was skeptical...then Alex chimes in that he has seen a Panamera GTS at Leipzig. And when he asked about it, he was told it was indeed 'Magic Bamboo Metallic'!

Originally Posted by m4ever
Hi Eduardo
I have personally seen Magic Bamboo metallic during a visit in Leipzig in October 14' . We had hot laps with a Panamera GTS and this car was painted in this exact color (I know this because I had specifically asked to check the color name - as I am also a fan of PTS) . It is indeed very similar to the Cayenne posted above . It looks great in real (I am a fan of green colors on Porsche though). I will try to find out the pictures of this Panamera and post them.
Regards
Alex
Well, if that is indeed the case, then below are the photos of that 'Magic Bamboo Metallic' Panamera GTS which I took a few hours ago on my visit to Porsche Leipzig!

Your Rennlist PTS reporter is on the job! And to think some don't think they are getting their money's worth for their Rennlist membership!

I got to Porsche Leipzig two hours ahead of my scheduled noon 'Carrera Lunch mit factory tour'. The idea was to see what little diamond could be discovered in the rough (if I could get that lucky!). Of all the Porsches in & around the Customer Center building (which, incidentally, is referred to as the 'Diamond' by Porsche & as the 'UFO' by German locals), three vehicles immediately stood out to me because of their unusual color! And this 'green' Panamera was one of them! I found the GTS in an area which is not accessible to the public - in the back of the Customer Center!

I will check with my contacts at 'Porsche Leipzig' to see what they have to say about this 'Bamboo Magic Metallic' GTS. But I don't expect it will be anything more than what I am about to tell you regarding a new color that I spotted on two vehicles at Leipzig today.

Below are photos of my other 'color' find at Leipzig today. It's an experimental color that was observed on two vehicles at this facility - a 981 Boxster and a Panamera. The color was a shade of steel blue/grey. And initially I thought it was PTS. I inquired about it to a marketing executive working at Leipzig that knew of my visit & greeted me when I arrived to check in for my scheduled program. He did some research on the subject and later met me at the dinning hall where our luncheon was taking place with the details on the unusual color. It's called 'Graphit Blau Metallic'. And it's a hue that Porsche designers are seriously considering adding to the color palette in the near future. He explained to me that the Customer Center is often given vehicle(s) in a color being considered as regular 'offering' to test how the paint will handle wear & tear from the constant test rides in all sorts of weather at the facility!

The vehicle in 'Graphit Blau Metallic' that was most accessible to be photographed was a 981 Boxster. Here are the photos, first from the distance, and then unclosed after they allow me to go into the 'grid' and get a close up!

Now, a word of caution. We recently heard that 'Miami Blue' (a solid/uni hue) has been approved as a choice for those that have a confirmed PTS allocation for their 991 RS. 'Graphit Blau Metallic' does have a resemblance to the new 'Miami Blue', although it's a metallic (which doesn't quite look like it due to the almost absence of visible 'flakes'). So it could be that this 'Graphit Blau' was a contender that didn't win the right to be included in the Porsche color palette. We will know soon enough if this 'Graphite Blau Metallic', in addition to 'Magic Bamboo Metallic' become new offerings for Porsche models (991/981/Panamera or Macan) in the near future! But all in all, this was one of the most productive days I have had reporting on PTS on this visit to Porsche in Europe!

I'll be posting more about my visit to Leipzig as time permits me to do so.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Berlin (on my last night in Germany)

Last edited by Z356; 07-27-2015 at 06:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Visit to Porsche & Germany - July 2015