Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3m Clearbra Removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 04:57 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a bra on my BMW 330i with original paint for ~5-6 years and it took a chunk or two of paint off when it was removed. I'm wary.
Old 07-11-2015, 12:44 AM
H82BL8
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I used a heat gun and patients to remove old 3m coating. No issues with the paint. What happened to me was the film stretched as I was pulling it off then retracted and ripped skin off my fingers. Skin regrows....paint ...no problem.
Old 07-11-2015, 02:18 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Never had film before but had a custom job done on the bumper and hood on this car. Even with the un-covered fender and hood side by side, it is impossible for me to tell the naked paint from the film.

FWIW, I would never try to remove film myself. Pros put it on and I'll let the same pros remove it.
Old 07-11-2015, 03:42 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
Even on a bumper cover?
yes

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
Definitely a good advice to not let film sit on the car for to long. I know some installers charge some crazy numbers for this service. So I can see why people keep it on. Really shouldn't cost more than $2000 to get the entire front done including the hood/ fenders!
that's what i thought at first. but the film isn't as cheap as you think. and the skill is not that easy. a pro makes it easy. $2000 for the front? that's FL price, $2000 here get u bumper!. try 2x that. and that's with discount.

Originally Posted by mwar99
+1. It is not an easy task and will most likely take skin off your fingers
i watched them pull. if film is new. like 2 months (mishap dont ask) it's easy peel. if it's a year or two, the finger strength, the even pull, the steam gun and heat gun, with two ppl pulling. it's quite a sight. i have not even lost any of the decals that's on the car when they pulled the film!

Originally Posted by eilig
What was your reason for having to remove and replace it so many times?
i track many of my cars. when i sell them, i like to put on new bras, full tank of fuel, and detailed so the new owner can enjoy it. i didn't install and peel 30x on the same car, sorry if i wasn't clr.
Old 07-11-2015, 10:57 AM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 178 Posts
Default 3m Clearbra Removal

Mooty - I have experience taking it off after a week. Two days after I got the film my hood on my S6 got hit with a nut from a tree. The PDR guy didn't want to try to fix it with the film on the car and I had to take it off. Did it myself with some help. Never again... Skin missing cramped fingers. We did not have the right technique.

Now I know better.

Last edited by mwar99; 07-12-2015 at 12:12 PM.
Old 07-11-2015, 11:06 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts
Default 3m Clearbra Removal

New films like Suntek and Xpel stay clear for years.

Professional removal is suggested.

I wouldn't leave a film on for more than 5yrs if a daily driver.

Installation is key. You're better off with nothing than a bad hack job and razor cuts into the clear coat and paint. The key is the installer than the films out there now. I would just stay away from 3M.

The OEM stone guards are 3M and come yellow from the factory practically.
Old 07-11-2015, 02:44 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 500 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
u must not tail gate much.
but i do like bare paint. the feel and the warmer look.
but i tend to tail gate everything. so...

well not so fast
3m pro series is good. but so are suntek, expel, nano.
each has its issues and forte.
pick your poison.
Love it when you put it straight Mooty...

My 20 year installer said 3M's newest product is great. As you said, pros and cons. Mine used a pre-cut pattern from Xpel for the 991 GT3 but used 3M. He likes the relationship he has with 3M in terms of training, support etc. that's what is really important. Simply follow instructions from your installer in terms of keeping clean with washes, do NOT wax, use spay shine with UV protection after washing and drive the hell out of your car. Any body tracking or DD on highways will be dead sick when they see a marble size rock take a spot on your hood down to bare metal...
Old 07-12-2015, 03:22 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by mwar99
Mooty - I have experience taking it off after a week. Tie days after I got the film my hood on my S6 got hit with a nut from a tree. The PDR guy didn't want to try to fix it with the film on the car and I had to take it off. Did it myself with some help. Never again... Skin missing cramped fingers. We did not have the right technique.

Now I know better.

Originally Posted by STG991
New films like Suntek and Xpel stay clear for years.
not if your car is white !

Installation is key. You're better off with nothing than a bad hack job and razor cuts into the clear coat and paint. The key is the installer than the films out there now.
right on.

The OEM stone guards are 3M and come yellow from the factory practically.
this is funny, but true.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:46 AM
Fadi1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This maybe OT. Has anyone considered or have experience with the 3M or other products to wrap the car in other colors. I've looking into it ever I saw a Voodoo blue cayman GTS

Quick Reply: 3m Clearbra Removal