Sponsored by:

Best Auto Insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 02:09 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts
Default Best Auto Insurance?

I'm getting the run-around from Geico on a glass/windshield claim on my MB and am starting to think of switching. Who do you guys use for your GT3 and other luxury cars? And would you recommend them? Thank you.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:17 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

I've had USAA since about 1980 and wouldn't change. Although their rates for motorcycles suck - I used another company when I had a bike.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:44 PM
reidry
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

We've had Nationwide and Allstate in the past.

Nationwide pulled out of Florida for homes and raised rates for "auto only" policies significantly.

Allstate just kept increasing rates at each renewal, even after the "safe driving bonus checks" their rates were higher than others.

We qualify for USAA as well, but found the rates to be higher than other major insurers. We're in the 40 something age group. I have a suspicion that increases in the number young people insured under USAA has shifted their risk tables. My parents, the 70 something age group, found significant savings with USAA. Some are willing to pay the USAA rates because their level of service is supposed to be very high.

A couple years back I shopped them all including State Farm, Farmers, etc. No tickets, no losses, one minor claim in last 10 years. We found Liberty Mutual to have competitive rates and we like some of the features in their policy. New cars automatically get "new car replacement" coverage for first year and it didn't seem to be an upcharge. I specifically inquired how that applies to low production vehicles like the GT3. If the vehicle is out of production they pay 10-20% over book value, not as good as agreed value, but better than their competition. We have not had any claim experience with Liberty Mutual.

YMMV

Ryan
Old 07-02-2015, 04:22 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,795 Likes on 4,779 Posts

Originally Posted by sportscentury
I'm getting the run-around from Geico on a glass/windshield claim on my MB and am starting to think of switching. Who do you guys use for your GT3 and other luxury cars? And would you recommend them? Thank you.
I use State Farm.

But the company you choose is probably less critical (though still important) than whether you bundle all of your insurance needs with that same company.

In my case, I have everything wrapped up in State Farm (homeowners, life, car, etc.) and get a really nice rate, with some nice added benefits.

And unfortunately for me, I've had to actually test out their claim process. And all I can say is that they passed with flying colors. Totaled my Porsche, claims department was right there, picked up all the medicals etc., agent even sent flowers and food to the hospital (yes, I was hospitalized) and ultimately gave me what I felt like was more than a fair and reasonable settlement offer for my car.

Just based on that one experience, I would have no hesitation recommending State Farm.

But I've never dealt with other insurance companies, so my point of view is a bit limited and myopic, to say the least.

Good luck.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:29 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts
Default Best Auto Insurance?

I had USAA for 10+ years and just switched to Travelers due to a 30% rate hike for no reason whatsoever.....Travelers was under $3K for my 4 vehicles and USAA wanted $4K
Old 07-02-2015, 04:40 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 800 Posts

The question is very open ended. Ins is trying to make money. Agents are limited by rules regardless of what they may try to tell you. A lot of it depends on zip, demographics, etc. I've seen highly recommended Ins Cos be sky high on a particular brand of vehicle in one zip and not in another.

All of them have their gimmicks. The safe driving bonus check one every 6 month was higher than the one without; even when considering the bonus check.

Buyer beware.

$0.02
Old 07-03-2015, 01:10 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Thank you, gentlemen... much appreciated.
Old 07-03-2015, 02:05 AM
Yellow
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After shopping around a bit, I found a local Liberty Mutual agent that I struck a rapport with. Rates were about 12% less than Geico. I am paying about $1400 annually with max coverage for the GT3 listed at I think 4k miles/yr, as a 4th car, and bundled with home insurance
Old 07-03-2015, 03:56 AM
LAGinz
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My experience has unfortunately been that on claims service issues it's kind of a crap shoot--some people have great experiences with a company and others have lousy experience with the same company. And on rates every little thing makes a difference, from the street you live on to the number of expected miles you'll be driving your car. There really is no substitute for making the calls to each with your particular facts. Even having all your insurances with one particular company is not always cheaper since, for example, all companies do not handle location issues in the same way. One thing worth looking at (but then pricing) is whether certain companies offer group rates that you might be eligible for. For example, I know at one time at least, Liberty Mutual offered a group rate members of the California Bar ***'n.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:05 AM
scb997
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
And unfortunately for me, I've had to actually test out their claim process. And all I can say is that they passed with flying colors. Totaled my Porsche, claims department was right there, picked up all the medicals etc., agent even sent flowers and food to the hospital (yes, I was hospitalized) and ultimately gave me what I felt like was more than a fair and reasonable settlement offer for my car.
We had a similar positive experience with AMICA. My 2006 C4S was obliterated (8 months old) by a pickup truck one rainy night. The driver had state minimums which covered about 1/4 the value of the car and 1/5 of the medical bills. The uninsured/under-insured part of my policy covered everything and the agents were always pleasant to work with.

I can't guarantee that they're the lowest rates, but they are low and the service has always made up for the difference. I've been with them 39 years, now

Scott
Old 07-03-2015, 11:41 AM
autobahnA8
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We have been happy with PURE
Old 07-03-2015, 12:46 PM
NMM991
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by autobahnA8
We have been happy with PURE
I am currently shopping for home/auto/umbrella insurance and did get a quote from PURE as well as State Farm. My agent indicated that State Farm would cover damage incurred on a track as long as it was not racing in my State; however, upon reading the fine print the exclusion is for racing and high speed driving on a track (I am doing DE and David Mury type days). No good.

Hence I am looking more closely at PURE -- their pricing is slightly higher but they seem to have more flexibility in options and deductibles. I was also told that while PURE will not cover collision damage on a track they will cover liability all the way to the max of my umbrella insurance.

Any additional comments/recommendations on PURE -- they are a new player to me.
Old 07-03-2015, 01:06 PM
Nick Yoskin
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ERIE INSURANCE GROUP
Old 07-03-2015, 01:48 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I use AIG Private Client for most things, great coverage but probably the most expensive. I have Hagerty for auto collectors insurance - was about 1/4 the price of AIG on that front.
Old 07-03-2015, 01:59 PM
reuben991
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Has anyone had good/bad experiences with Chubb?

Quick Reply: Best Auto Insurance?