Sponsored by:

Car Trailers for GT3

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 02:57 AM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
This, you will scuff or scratch something eventually.

Warn winches are IMHO the best, especially with a synthetic rope and the remote is fantastic. Just walk it up!

TPD trailers are the best and hold their value. Below is my setup. Please also check out 24Chromiums Trailer Diary!https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...ler-diary.html
Attachment 950270
Attachment 950271
How can you put that(GT3) in? I hardly see any space between the doors. How can you get out is another question?
Old 07-02-2015, 03:04 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by thxbuff2001
How can you put that(GT3) in? I hardly see any space between the doors. How can you get out is another question?
That is the point regarding the remote control winch, you walk it in, you don't get in or out to put it in the trailer or remove it. Much easier. There is more room than it looks like in the photo, you could get in and out, but it's not fun and you will eventually scuff or scratch something.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:06 AM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Originally Posted by mlpor
Now thats is what I am looking for. I have an SUV but I guess I really need a truck.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:09 AM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

I was searching rennlist and I saw an old post of yours selling your open trailer. Besides the obvious benefits of a cover of a covered trailer, what made you decide to sell it?

Seem to be enough to bring you cars to track anytime?
Old 07-02-2015, 03:40 AM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by montoya
This, you will scuff or scratch something eventually.

Warn winches are IMHO the best, especially with a synthetic rope and the remote is fantastic. Just walk it up!

TPD trailers are the best and hold their value. Below is my setup. Please also check out 24Chromiums Trailer Diary!https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...ler-diary.html
Attachment 950270
Attachment 950271
Montoya,

Can you send a link for the tie straps you used? What length are they? Double J-Hooks?

I also have a 24 foot Vortech and was going to splurge on MACs wheel nets but I have Rennline tie-down anchors on the car, so a bit of a waste.

I am hoping to use the same tie-downs for the cup and street GT3.

thxbuff2001, how about you? What tie-down straps / lengths did you use? They look like they are locking hooks rather than double-j's, but hard to tell in the pic.

Thanks!
Old 07-02-2015, 06:14 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 72 Posts

I would certainly echo the earlier comment on Trailex. I had one of their open 8045 units for a year or so and it was great. Even better is their low profile enclosed trailer. All Alum which makes it light and a joy to tow. I have towed it behind a Cayenne to three Parades with never an issue. Very stable in crosswinds, easy to maneuver and will hold all my "junk" The eleven foot ramps make it easy to get a low slung car up and the large side door and low fender wells allow you to easily open the drivers door on a GT3 and step in our out.

Trailex is a great company with superb customer support and their product GREAT.

By the way on the 1200 mile ( each way) tow to French Lick I averaged just over 18 MPG with a Cayenne Diesel and at Texas speeds the trailer was very stable. Trailer in my book
Old 07-02-2015, 07:35 AM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 135 Posts

I was searching rennlist and I saw an old post of yours selling your open trailer. Besides the obvious benefits of a cover of a covered trailer, what made you decide to sell it?

Seem to be enough to bring you cars to track anytime?
I had a tire delaminate on a very busy highway and take out the wheel cowling. Unbeknownst to me, the tire also clipped the CF wing on my 997 RS and cracked it. Fortunately, nobody got killed by either the tire or the cowling. My insurace carrier replaced the wing ($$$) and i moved away from the open setup. I know dont have to spend time loading gear up for events. I have tools, table, chairs, flatscreen for video review and A/C when it gets hot. Open and enclosed are two different animals. open workd for me for a few years.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:25 AM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Alot of us have been using these from Dively:
http://www.econotrailer.com/Open.html
Should be able to pull with a regular truck or SUV.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:37 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 799 Posts

You may want to look at Kwikload in Sherman up the road from your stated location. They build open tilt trailers.
Trailers seem to be somewhat localized IMHO. Trailex gets a lot of recommendations but it will cost you a lot to get one shipped to you. Montrose is probably one of the lightest enclosed ones you can find but it will take some getting used to the looks. Tommy's up in So. OK builds open ones with an option for a fabric enclosure.

Best thing for you to do IMHO is to look at what trailers are being used in your area by fellow enthusiasts: EC, MSR, COTA, etc. If you are a member of Maverick PCA check with active members there.

Info:
Nothing against trailex, but there was a member on here that was from Austin trying to sell one several month ago. Maybe it was the config, maybe something else. But IIRC he had no takers, even after price drops, and wound up keeping it. So to reiterate, trailers are highly regionalized and a lot of recommendations you get are based on that.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:38 AM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Another vote for Trailex. I have towed a lot and certainly will do with the 991RS. Still waiting to see how it fits width wise

Name:  DSCN2329.jpg
Views: 812
Size:  51.6 KB
Old 07-02-2015, 10:09 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 803 Likes on 492 Posts

Now thats is what I am looking for. I have an SUV but I guess I really need a truck.
You really need to start with the towing capability of your tow vehicle both in terms of overall towing capacity (weight) and tongue weight. What you will find is that:

- open aluminum trailers hold their value, are easier to store and you have better visibility backing up and towing and it is easier to load your car. You can buy these used/new for $4k - $8k
- open steel trailers are within the towing capability of a large SUV but they do not hold their value
- with an SUV you will be limited to an aluminum enclosed trailer and these trailers are expensive. Trailex are the best but also the most expensive (used/new $15k - $24k). They have large side doors which allow easy entry and exit.

For starters, don't worry about a winch. It can save your clutch with manual cars.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:43 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

[

thxbuff2001, how about you? What tie-down straps / lengths did you use? They look like they are locking hooks rather than double-j's, but hard to tell in the pic.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

I still dont have any straps. I think you were looking at awew911 set up.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:45 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Originally Posted by f4 plt
I would certainly echo the earlier comment on Trailex. I had one of their open 8045 units for a year or so and it was great. Even better is their low profile enclosed trailer. All Alum which makes it light and a joy to tow. I have towed it behind a Cayenne to three Parades with never an issue. Very stable in crosswinds, easy to maneuver and will hold all my "junk" The eleven foot ramps make it easy to get a low slung car up and the large side door and low fender wells allow you to easily open the drivers door on a GT3 and step in our out.

Trailex is a great company with superb customer support and their product GREAT.

By the way on the 1200 mile ( each way) tow to French Lick I averaged just over 18 MPG with a Cayenne Diesel and at Texas speeds the trailer was very stable. Trailer in my book

So you where hauling the enlosed trailer with your Cayenne? That would work for me then. Otherwise, I would get an open one.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:48 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ronan
Another vote for Trailex. I have towed a lot and certainly will do with the 991RS. Still waiting to see how it fits width wise

I see you are using also an SUV. No instability in the highways?
Old 07-02-2015, 01:49 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

TPD
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Car Trailers for GT3