Sponsored by:

Money2536's Semi-DIY Audio Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 10:14 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Downunder55
I must say I have found your stereo upgrade project inspiring, and really appreciate the time and effort in putting together the detail in this post.

I do like the choice of the DynAudio speakers and the Mosconi.

Even with the almost step by step detail I think it's outside my comfort level and a local car audio shop will provide the labour .

In trying to learn from your design approach, I would like to understand the reasoning for some of your choices, for the planning of my own upgrade and would appreciate your views.

My questions are:

Why did you select a two way system rather than retaining the 3" mid range in the doors in a 3 way system ?

EG: selecting the DynAudio Esotec 242 System (2-way system with 6” woofer and 1” silk dome tweeter) rather than 342 series (3-way system with 6” woofer, 3" mid and 1” silk dome tweeter)

Did you consider using the larger DynAudio Esotec MW172 8" woofer rather than the 6", or more specifically the Esotec 362 series (3-way system with 8” woofer, 3" mid and 1” silk dome tweeter) ?

As you had the Mosconi DSP 6 to 8 V8 with all the DSP features, did you consider driving the speaker in an active mode rather than using the Cross Overs ?

Did you consider using the Mosconi D2 80.6 DSP as an alternative, that has the integrated DSP and 4 channel amp @ 80w /channel instead of the Genesis amp ? ..... would that have been a reasonable option ?

You mentioned in one of the video's you had an grounding problem that held you up, what did you do to resolve it ?

What is the overall thickness of the Sub enclosure, has the loss of this leg room in the passenger foot well proved to be inconvenient ?

I don't pretend to understand the first thing about sub design, but logically as it doesn't seem that there is a grill at the front and the sub driver is facing the carpet, how does the sound get out ..... am I missing something here ?

Sorry for so many questions
I selected the two way simply due to cost. I also highly considered doing the 8" option, but again that was pushing the cost higher than I felt comfortable. Money no object I would have absolutely chosen the 362 system.

The Dyn Crossovers are very good, but you are right that actively powering would be preferred especially with the capabilities to tune with the Mosconi. The problem for me was the need to use a much larger or possibly multi-amp configuration, and I didn't want to add the extra weight or take up the additional space.

Another guy that followed my build ended going the Mosconi with the built in digital amp route and actively powered speakers. He says it sounds awesome. I would guess the additional current from the Genesis amp would be preferential to power the Dyns.

I ended up needing to use a Pac Ground Loop isolater on the input side of the Mosconi. It's cheating, but I tried everything else.

The sub box from Sound in Motion is amazing. It's about 6" in total depth. To give you an idea it's similar in depth to the brake pedal on the driver's side. It pressure fit in and comes out in seconds if you had a track day of something like that. The sub is down firing, so it doesn't need a grill. The box provides enough clearance to ensure the woofer isn't hitting the floor. Sound in Motion has tried many different spots in the 911 over the years and the passenger foot well is the best sounding spot.

I had a guy in the car that is 6'2" the other day and there were no complaints.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:59 AM
Downunder55
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thankyou

I know the frustration I have been chasing a ground loop in a Pre-amp & PI based audio system I built earlier this year .... drives you nuts !

Thanks for the heads up ...... will check again with the installer to ensure he is happy with Mosconi D2 80.6DSP 6*80w power for the DynAudio's. ... it would be a nice neat and unobtrusive install.

Thanks now found that other post.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:05 AM
808MGuy
Track Day

Originally Posted by Money2536
Yes and yes.
This is such an informative post. I've been looking for months for information like this and so excited to finally find someone who's gone through it. I have so many questions. I have a 981 Cayman GTS with the sound package plus system. I have almost everything I need to start the system but I was never able to figure out how to pull the signal from the PCM unit (I have CDR+ which is basiclly PCM without the nav). We those low level signal outputs that you tapped able to provide you full range sound? So all you need is those 2 channel inputs into your Mosconi DSP and then used the software to route the signal to the various outputs? If that's the case, I don't need to worry about trying to pull signal from the MOST fiber optic bus correct?

So far I have gathered a bunch of equipment with some being from another car.

DSP - Arc Audio PS8
Amps - Arc Audio XDI 1200.6, XDI 600.4
Tweeters - Scan Speak 3004/6040 Be 1"
Mids - Planning to replace OEMs with Scan Speak 10F 4"
Midbass - Morel ADMW 9"
Sub - Stereo Integrity BM MKIV 12" shallow mount

I'm hoping I can do mine as nice as yours.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:04 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 808MGuy
This is such an informative post. I've been looking for months for information like this and so excited to finally find someone who's gone through it. I have so many questions. I have a 981 Cayman GTS with the sound package plus system. I have almost everything I need to start the system but I was never able to figure out how to pull the signal from the PCM unit (I have CDR+ which is basiclly PCM without the nav). We those low level signal outputs that you tapped able to provide you full range sound? So all you need is those 2 channel inputs into your Mosconi DSP and then used the software to route the signal to the various outputs? If that's the case, I don't need to worry about trying to pull signal from the MOST fiber optic bus correct?

DSP - Arc Audio PS8
Midbass - Morel ADMW 9"

Sound package plus is not a fiber optic connected system. So you are correct in simply cutting the wiring harness under the seat and bringing the low level output from the PCM unit into the Arc PS8. The low level outputs front and rear are both full range.
Old 12-17-2015, 02:01 PM
808MGuy
Track Day

Originally Posted by Money2536
Sound package plus is not a fiber optic connected system. So you are correct in simply cutting the wiring harness under the seat and bringing the low level output from the PCM unit into the Arc PS8. The low level outputs front and rear are both full range.
Awesome. I didn't realize both front and rear was there. I might leave the rear in and leave the OEM amp in to keep the rears on. I usually fade those out so I can barely hear them anyway but it does help with creating the illusion of a larger space. I usually fade them out enough so they don't affect the overall sound quality in the front but just enough to create that ambient sound that gives the sense of a large space.
Old 12-26-2015, 04:02 PM
808MGuy
Track Day

Since you have the mids out, I'm wondering if you still have them readily available and know the dimensions. Are they closer to a true 4" or a 3.5"? What is the diameter of the cutout? Looking at some options to replace but not sure if I should be looking more towards a 3.5" or 4".
Old 02-25-2016, 07:37 PM
MasterJohn
AutoX

Great Job, Matt.

Please share on your tricks removing those stubborn tweeter grills. Other members removed vents to get to those reversed pins...
Old 02-26-2016, 01:48 AM
991_GT3
Intermediate

Amazing write up again wow!
Old 02-26-2016, 02:03 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MasterJohn
Great Job, Matt.

Please share on your tricks removing those stubborn tweeter grills. Other members removed vents to get to those reversed pins...
What a pain those things were. I used a right angled pick and eventually just decided to pull with all my might. The problem I had was not knowing how they were actually connected. Now that you know, just pull super hard and they'll pop loose.
Old 02-26-2016, 02:04 PM
Money2536
Rennlist Member

Since you have the mids out, I'm wondering if you still have them readily available and know the dimensions. Are they closer to a true 4" or a 3.5"? What is the diameter of the cutout? Looking at some options to replace but not sure if I should be looking more towards a 3.5" or 4".
I'm not sure, but I think they are 3." They are in my attic.
Old 02-26-2016, 03:11 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

DSP - Arc Audio PS8
Midbass - Morel ADMW 9"

Nice equipment. I would probably skip the sub in a GT3 if your are going to be running Morel 9" midbass'. I've ran some Scanspeak Revlators and Seas Excel 7"'s in cars and they have great bass. If I were going to do a system in my GT4 or so one in a GT3, I would probably just go with a frontstage and skip the sub. My current daily driver has Focal BE 3ways.
Old 03-06-2016, 11:24 PM
DrCGuerra
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love it. I didn't go as crazy as you did but I am happy with my aftermarket stereo. I might eventually change out the 3-way door speakers to Hertz, Morel, or MB Quartz but I plan on letting the speakers break-in over the next year before making that decision. Lastly, don't worry about the "purist". I consider myself a purist and that is why I went with an aftermarket stereo. That is, to get the "purist" sound I could get out of my system. I am sure you are enjoying it as much as I enjoy mine. Crank it up. As the saying goes, "If it's too loud, you're too old".
Old 03-06-2016, 11:29 PM
DrCGuerra
Racer

Originally Posted by drdonger
Nice equipment. I would probably skip the sub in a GT3 if your are going to be running Morel 9" midbass'. I've ran some Scanspeak Revlators and Seas Excel 7"'s in cars and they have great bass. If I were going to do a system in my GT4 or so one in a GT3, I would probably just go with a frontstage and skip the sub. My current daily driver has Focal BE 3ways.
I had a Cayman GTS. I installed a JL Audio 6" sub and box that fits very nicely in the rear hatch so it doesn't take up any space. I used a JL Audio XD600/6 to drive my speakers and the sub. I made a huge difference. If you do not want to change out your head but want to add a sub, JL Audio makes several sub amps to drive the 6" sub. You can even go with 2, 6" subs in each corner of your hatch if you use a dedicated sub amp.
Old 10-18-2016, 01:14 AM
various cheeses
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Amazing thread. Sorry to raise it from the dead, but would that footwell sub box work in a 981 Cayman? I'm trying to find a decent spot to fit one, preferably without giving up a lot of space. Those 6" JL offerings sound enticing, but I'd imagine the Illusion 10" would beat it in the low frequencies.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:47 AM
DrCGuerra
Racer

Originally Posted by various cheeses
Amazing thread. Sorry to raise it from the dead, but would that footwell sub box work in a 981 Cayman? I'm trying to find a decent spot to fit one, preferably without giving up a lot of space. Those 6" JL offerings sound enticing, but I'd imagine the Illusion 10" would beat it in the low frequencies.
The larger the sub, the more it will cut into the rear hatch space. I am not sure about a footwell sub box. The 6" sub is more than enough for the Cayman, especially if placed in the rear hatch space. Good luck with your project.

Quick Reply: Money2536's Semi-DIY Audio Upgrade