Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Exhaust Question Thread....(Side vs Center delete)

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 10:05 PM
alevine
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Another Exhaust Question Thread....(Side vs Center delete)

I am a soon to be owner of a 2016 GT3 and I am confused on the aftermarket exhaust options for this car. Based on my forum searches it appears a lot of people are running the Sharkwerks center bypass or the like (I see RSS, GMG and Fabspeed offers these as well). However, there have been some comments on the "side delete" option as well but I cannot find much info as to why people choose the side delete versus the center delete. It appears the side delete will save you approx. 30 pounds but not nearly as many companies offer this option. Curious why you think this is the case and what you think the best option is? Is the sound vastly different in the 2 options?

I realize this is a very loaded question and I'm sure to get many, many varying responses but any insight is appreciated.

Also, is there any difference in the center bypass kits from various vendors other than some have different tip options. Sharkwerks and RSS both look comparable for example.

Thanks,
Adam
Old 06-29-2015, 10:37 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 280 Posts

I'm sure others will chime in on the side delete.

Regarding your question on bypasses, the difference is surprising. The sound of a gmg vs sharkwerks is very different. Gmg is louder and deeper, sharkwerks is more high pitched and cleaner. Both are good but yea, like two different cars between the two.

Congrats on the very rare 2016 GT3!
Old 06-30-2015, 11:06 AM
odwa
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

I have side muffler delete's with valves from Fabspeed, the sound was secondary for me, I made the switch to save 35lbs from behind the rear axle. BTW the sound is definitely a plus.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:50 PM
Ducati1199
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check out Money Matt's thread, page 42 as he's done 500 million different versions and made videos on all of them!! My thoughts:

I had the SW center bypass on from day 1 - makes a real difference to the car above 4000 rpm. I also disconnected the valves at the same time and experienced no drone. However, the car still seemed a bit subdued - noise wise - and so I re-installed the oem center muffler and replaced the side mufflers with the FVD bypass. FVD clain an increase of 12dB. Without a doubt the car sounds deeper and maybe a bit louder at low rpms now. However, I'm not sure it sounds any different at higher rpms than the SW? Others who've put the FVD seem to be happier with it than me - maybe they went from stock set up to the FVD? I have noticed that over a very narrow range the FVD has excessive drone to the point that it makes you wince. However, it is a very narrow range and a tap on or off the gas or a gear change sorts that out.
Side delete drops you a lot of weight and removes heat and gives you a deeper (maybe louder) sound. I've noticed zero change in power, as measured on the butt dyno, with any of the set-ups.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:10 PM
alevine
Rennlist Member

Interesting. All good insight and comments. Yeah, I never did think about the benefit of less heat with the elimination of the side exhaust. That's should be a consideration.

I will search for Matt Money's thread and his experience. It's nice to have some commentary from people that have tried multiple setups.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:32 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Received 228 Likes on 74 Posts

I've worked on this quite a bit. My choice would be center bypass with GMG. Just for fun, I'm testing out Chris Smith Racing center bypass. I should have it this weekend and am planning on making a back-to-back comparison video of the sound.

I have a bunch of videos on my YouTube channel if you want to waste a half dozen hours of your life.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:40 PM
alevine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Money2536
I've worked on this quite a bit. My choice would be center bypass with GMG. Just for fun, I'm testing out Chris Smith Racing center bypass. I should have it this weekend and am planning on making a back-to-back comparison video of the sound.

I have a bunch of videos on my YouTube channel if you want to waste a half dozen hours of your life.
Cool! I will check it out. Did you look at the RSS bypass? Looks similar to others.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:26 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Received 228 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by alevine
Cool! I will check it out. Did you look at the RSS bypass? Looks similar to others.
I have. They were a little later to the game, so I hadn't really considered it. I'm sure it's good.

Quick Reply: Another Exhaust Question Thread....(Side vs Center delete)