Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: A week with my new F82 M4

Old 06-29-2015, 12:56 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 280 Posts
Default OT: A week with my new F82 M4

Let me start by saying that the M4 is not a GT3, does not want to, nor pretend to be a GT3, and any comparisons to a GT3 are unintentional and coincidental

I picked up my new M4 on June 20th. The car is identical to what I would have ordered (really freaky actually) - Yas Marina Blue coupe, Silverstone interior, carbon fiber roof, executive, lighting, driver assist plus, Harman Kardon, Adaptive M suspension. As you all know, the Gt3 had tired on me - I was misuing the car - driving to and from work in Atlanta traffic, with very little (if any) time to escape the city and actually go drive the GT3. The smokies event was awesome and temporarily eased my GT3 frustration. I was not frustrated with the car, I was frustrated with the situation. I didn't buy a GT3 to poke along in Atlanta traffic, and I don't see my situation changing.

So I started looking around - drove a GTS, and a turbo. But I was jaded, a 911 should be a GT3, and any other version of it was incredibly disappointing to me. I actually went to Hennessy with my checkbook fully expecting to order a GTS. John Dissen (bless him) asked me to go drive the GTS one more time to make sure I'd be happy with it before we placed the order. I found myself woefully disappointed after the drive and in no position to move forward with an order. The GT3 is that good- it makes a GTS seem disappointing and boring. So I drove an M4, and instantly knew it fit what I needed. I debated manual vs. DCT and in the end went with the DCT. It shifts like a Buick compared to the GT3, but that's OK... The manual was incredible, but I just couldn't do it, given my traffic filled lifestyle.

We did a search and the exact car I wanted was on a lot in Memphis. The dealer traded for it, and it showed up on the morning of 6/20. I've driven the car about 500 miles in the week I've owned it and am absolutely thrilled with it. It's the perfect car for me- fast, torquey and loaded with technology - apps that control the ventilation remotely, lane assist, top view cameras - all stuff that makes living with it in traffic that much better. None of which the GT3 has, nor is supposed to have. The power is awesome, great low end "freight train" type of torque. It redlines somewhere in the 7000's and I haven't wound it up there yet, but suffice it to say it's nowhere near (like a different planet) as heart pumping as the GT3 as you wind it out. The suspension comfort goes from soft and squishy in comfort mode to something that mimics the general comfort of the GT3 in non sport mode when the M4 is in sport plus suspension setting. The steering feel is fine - I've never been able to really understand all of the debate about steering feel... probably not a good enough driver. But with steering in sport plus, it offers perfect resistance and I am very happy with the feel. Overall the driving experience is awesome, it corners very well, is quiet and fast on the highway, and when you have it in M2 (which for me is set to be sport + everything) it is far more than I need around town. I can't wait to track it! But when things calm down, hit the M1 button and the entire car changes to a very sedate, comfortable cruiser. This car is more jekyll and hide than almost any car I've ever seen.

The technology is awesome - there is integrated Pandora, Apps to find the car and start the ventilation, self dimming this and that, auto folding mirrors. Harman Kardon audio is decent - I've ordered the Bavsound speakers as they apparently make a huge difference. I am installing them this week. I am shocked at the attention this car gets - it's 5x-10x the amount my GT3 got. I blame the color - Yas Marina Blue is far more in your face vs. GT Silver. But I LOVE the color. The attention is actually to the point of being a bit tiring, I didn't expect this. I went to pick up my son at camp, and I felt like a rock star. Crazy. And speaking of transporting kids, the back seats are massive - easily fitting my 5'4" son behind me (and I'm 6'7") Going for rides with all four of us is awesome, and I had forgotten what it's like to have the family out and about in anything but a minivan. Really awesome. I have 4 inches of headroom above my head, easily fitting me with a helmet, and it's the first car I've owned that I don't have to put the seat all the way back.

I put some awesome Vorsteiner wheels on it, tinted the windows, and added all of the M Performance Carbon Fiber stuff. The car looks very menacing now. I'll have more when I track it for the first time, but I have told some of you guys that this is my favorite car of any I have ever owned. It does so many things so incredibly well and I am absolutely thrilled with it from all angles.

So, lastly, where do we go from here? Well, this whole experience has really made me realize that there is no replacement for a GT3. It's a unique car, in a class of its own. The performance is out of this world and I miss it dearly. I miss the smokies and the days where I could let it rip. I miss the forums - there's no online car community quite like this one and I continually find myself comparing others to this one. And it disappoints me - by far the biggest negative of this whole thing was not engaging as much with this community. You just feel like a bigger part of it if you actually have a GT3. But not once have I doubted my decision.

Instead, now that I have a car I can drive everyday, the choice is obvious. I'm going to get another GT3 and find a place to park it. Hopefully one with two more letters after the name. It's going to take me some time to find my way, but I'll be back. In lava orange.

Last edited by sgroer; 06-29-2015 at 01:32 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 01:24 PM
bhf_clt
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Glad you found the car that suits you better, but we'll definitely miss you. Glad to hear you're joining us in October.
Old 06-29-2015, 01:26 PM
OCturbo
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad you are enjoying your M4. Great color and the carbon fiber bits look awesome
Old 06-29-2015, 01:38 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Received 228 Likes on 74 Posts

KW HAS is what you need next!
Old 06-29-2015, 01:48 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Money2536
KW HAS is what you need next!
Yes they are on the list. AWE exhaust, KW springs, Bavsound. How's the ride with the KW? I really don't want to give up much comfort. That's what got me into this mess in the first place.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:16 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Passed a Yas Marina Blue M4 the other day, what a beautiful looking car. Once again, congrats on your new toy. By the way, no need to leave our group with all the chatting.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:20 PM
Shahano
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gorgeous..
Old 06-29-2015, 02:30 PM
grendel88
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Honestly, M3/4s are the best "do everything" cars out there. Like you wrote, technology, torque, nice body control, roominess, motor sport history, looks...I always tell my wife that if I had to limit myself to one car, it will always be a version of the M3. You can't beat it as a DD.

I did the Bavsound, the video was great and the install is fun. It does not have any more bass, but everything is clearer, including the bass. Read the forum comments about the center dash speaker and the length of screws. This was the only hiccup. Have fun and enjoy!
Old 06-29-2015, 03:41 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Or you could do a set of MCS shocks from BimmerWorld. The single adjustable shocks are awesome and made right down the street from you in Alpharetta.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:53 PM
GregJGT3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sgroer
Yes they are on the list. AWE exhaust, KW springs, Bavsound. How's the ride with the KW? I really don't want to give up much comfort. That's what got me into this mess in the first place.
The car is great looking. The changes in audio and appearance are a personal preference, but I would be careful changing springs, shocks and tires - anything to do with suspension and ride. The factory has spent a ton of engineering and development $$ getting the ride just right, anything you do will mess up what you have already decided is perfect for your use.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:01 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GregJGT3
The car is great looking. The changes in audio and appearance are a personal preference, but I would be careful changing springs, shocks and tires - anything to do with suspension and ride. The factory has spent a ton of engineering and development $$ getting the ride just right, anything you do will mess up what you have already decided is perfect for your use.
Agree and point well taken. Was just thinking that the car is damn near perfect for me, so I don't want to mess with it too much. The ride is perfect, just wish it sat about 3/4 inch lower. Not sure I'm willing to give up the ride quality for a cosmetic issue to eliminate the wheel gap.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:17 PM
Salj
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 51 Posts
Default M4 Suspension

I went 2014 GT3 (give-back) to 2015 M4 to 2015 GT3.

The lowered suspension on the M4 is a must. I did it with the KW height adjustable kit and it was perfect without a noticeable change in ride quality.

Parts are approx. $900 with install labor about the same.

Nice ride for around town,
Old 06-29-2015, 05:01 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 115 Posts

Congrats.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:25 PM
gman3280
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey were you at the MVP event?
Old 06-29-2015, 06:41 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

In what car? I did a couple MVP events in my 991 gt3.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OT: A week with my new F82 M4