Sponsored by:

NJMP Thunderbolt on 7/1,2

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 02:03 PM
Rob in Potomac
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
- Try to keep your hands closer to 3 and 9.

I have trouble finding a comfortable position at 3 and 9. I wish the crossbar was up or down a bit. I'm not sure if I should hook my thumbs. Any recommendations?

-
Jeff
The reason not to hook your thumbs is that if you go off and the wheel starts spinning, don't want your thumbs being in the way and taking the force of the wheel.

Rob
Old 07-09-2015, 11:45 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
I just had a quick look at your video - it seems like you probably need to adjust your seating position to make 3 and 9 work. Speculating here as it was hard to see, but I'm assuming your arms are bent by more than 90 degrees when your hands are at 3 and 9? If that's the case, move the seat back a little or the wheel forward and make sure you get that angle right. Is your seat at in it's lowest position as well?

Practice on the street and try taking a few 90 degree right turns from stop signs/lights without taking your hands off the wheel from 3 and 9. It'll show you if you have the seating position dialed in.
my seat is all the way back and all the way down. I will try to move the steering wheel in. Thanks.
Old 07-10-2015, 12:09 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,750 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob in Potomac
The reason not to hook your thumbs is that if you go off and the wheel starts spinning, don't want your thumbs being in the way and taking the force of the wheel.

Rob
I don't hook thumbs myself and am not a fan of it, but some drivers even at the level of this guy do it, so I don't think of it as an absolute rule:

Quick Reply: NJMP Thunderbolt on 7/1,2