Sponsored by:

nurburgring bans laptimes

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 04:53 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus
Maybe Circuit de la Sarthe would be better...

Or just end the debate entirely and make it the Isle of Man.

*****!!!
Old 06-19-2015, 04:59 PM
lax01
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
It's sad but don't punish everyone else for someone's fatality. You think they will ban guns because of some accidental death?

You clearly don't live in the US
Old 06-19-2015, 05:00 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Isle of Man is just streets….very dangerous to run flat out compared to the NS. I doubt if they would let manufacturer runs there.
Old 06-20-2015, 03:37 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Here is the depressing official release and some intelligent commentary:

http://www.bridgetogantry.com/offici...urther-notice/
Old 06-21-2015, 12:29 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

I suppose this will be the only sight of an RS on an unlimited track, sadly. No lap time:

His final comment was before the ban. Now its not lap record attempt ever
Old 06-22-2015, 11:36 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Agree with the gist of that article. The new owners are idiots if they make this ban permanent. If so, 70% of the gearheads in the world will stop caring about the "ring", and they won't make ring days part of their vacations and fewer actual races will be held at the ring. Another track like Spa will then be the track everyone talks about and the Ring will just fade away.

They purchased a bloody racetrack not a beauty parlor. They need to run it as such.
Old 06-23-2015, 03:56 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Agree with the gist of that article. The new owners are idiots if they make this ban permanent. If so, 70% of the gearheads in the world will stop caring about the "ring", and they won't make ring days part of their vacations and fewer actual races will be held at the ring. Another track like Spa will then be the track everyone talks about and the Ring will just fade away.

They purchased a bloody racetrack not a beauty parlor. They need to run it as such.
Honestly, I think that's what they're hoping! Then they can shut down the Nurburgring and claim that it wasn't being used enough. Then they'll develop the land and build houses/villas and probably a nice golf course and a high fashion shopping center. Incase you guys all forgot, people were afraid that the new owners were going to shut down the ring back when they bought it. This to me, is just the first step. Europe isn't like the US, if you die because you're not paying attention, or because you had an accident, the responsibility falls squarely on you. Here in the US, yeah tracks close because we're a litigious society. But in places like Germany, or other European countries, "enter at your own risk" truly means that. Yes it is sad and tragic that somebody lost their life, so I'm not trying to make light of the situation. But accidents happen and we don't need knee jerk reactions.
Old 06-24-2015, 03:06 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

http://www.bridgetogantry.com/more-p...limit-debacle/

Sensible comments here
Old 06-24-2015, 03:58 PM
Zeus
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

There is no debate. The only reason B2G is somewhat supporting the speed limits is because their site depends on it.

The new 'Ring is the same as the current state of the USA, whereby the "citizens" vote to nanny themselves out of their own rights, freedoms and well-being in the name of "safety".
Old 06-24-2015, 05:14 PM
Keith Verges - Dallas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Drifting

I disagree. I am not sure how many here have driven the 'Ring or Spa. I had the good fortune to drive both in May, and I had been to the 'Ring previously. Bottom line, the ban on record attempts makes a lot of sense to me.

I race and do so competently; I drive at speed on track probably an average of 5 hours per month, maybe more, since I also am lucky to be a member of MSR.

The 'Ring is an incredibly dangerous track and frightened me more than any place I have ever been. It's like the Kink at Road America for 21 km. The speeds are huge, runoff almost nonexistent, and it's very bumpy.

The pace of modern street cars is starting to compare with the F1 cars of years past and Stewart and Lauda are not incompetent pussies; they and others thought the 'Ring is a terrible race track.

While I loved driving there, I don't think I'd be willing to run at a qualifying pace, especially not in a street car without a full cage and proper safety gear. The GTR that went into spectators at Flugplatz is yet another dimension of danger.

It is inviting death or serious injury to the test drivers of street cars to have them motivated to run "record" speeds. In addition to the intrinsic danger of the track, add in uncertain surface conditions due to rain, debris, or dew and I am frankly surprised no one has been killed so far. On my first trip to the 'Ring there were 2 fatalities in 7 days.

On the other hand, Spa was fantastic! Huge speeds, but proper runoff and so I was able to run 10/10s there and went off in Eau Rouge and Pouhon both with no drama at all, given the room and off-track pavement.

While nostalgia for the 'Ring may be strong, there are plenty of other tracks to provide comparison lap times and frankly I'd rather see a track where I could also drive 10/10s used as a yardstick, in the hopes that I could see how I stack up. I'll never do that at the 'Ring.

Finally, if lap time records are so important, how do you explain the ever-growing popularity of the Tail of the Dragon?

I'll probably go back to the 'Ring, but won't worry at all about lap times and it is a bit of a relief to think no one else is allowed to, either. It will remain an epic, must-drive for any gearhead.
Old 06-24-2015, 05:32 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Verges - Dallas
I disagree. I am not sure how many here have driven the 'Ring or Spa. I had the good fortune to drive both in May, and I had been to the 'Ring previously. Bottom line, the ban on record attempts makes a lot of sense to me.

I race and do so competently; I drive at speed on track probably an average of 5 hours per month, maybe more, since I also am lucky to be a member of MSR.

The 'Ring is an incredibly dangerous track and frightened me more than any place I have ever been. It's like the Kink at Road America for 21 km. The speeds are huge, runoff almost nonexistent, and it's very bumpy.

The pace of modern street cars is starting to compare with the F1 cars of years past and Stewart and Lauda are not incompetent pussies; they and others thought the 'Ring is a terrible race track.

While I loved driving there, I don't think I'd be willing to run at a qualifying pace, especially not in a street car without a full cage and proper safety gear. The GTR that went into spectators at Flugplatz is yet another dimension of danger.

It is inviting death or serious injury to the test drivers of street cars to have them motivated to run "record" speeds. In addition to the intrinsic danger of the track, add in uncertain surface conditions due to rain, debris, or dew and I am frankly surprised no one has been killed so far. On my first trip to the 'Ring there were 2 fatalities in 7 days.

On the other hand, Spa was fantastic! Huge speeds, but proper runoff and so I was able to run 10/10s there and went off in Eau Rouge and Pouhon both with no drama at all, given the room and off-track pavement.

While nostalgia for the 'Ring may be strong, there are plenty of other tracks to provide comparison lap times and frankly I'd rather see a track where I could also drive 10/10s used as a yardstick, in the hopes that I could see how I stack up. I'll never do that at the 'Ring.

Finally, if lap time records are so important, how do you explain the ever-growing popularity of the Tail of the Dragon?

I'll probably go back to the 'Ring, but won't worry at all about lap times and it is a bit of a relief to think no one else is allowed to, either. It will remain an epic, must-drive for any gearhead.
Good view point.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:24 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

I do not care about 'ring 'record' times; there are so many weather and track variables, the times are rarely substantiated, and there is no governing body. Look at the Cayman GT4 intro - AP threw a number out there as an estimate, and it became the quoted time without the car ever "officially" going against the clock. Plus the 'ring favors high-horsepower cars, just like the quarter mile does, and that is not particularly important to me.

I know some European car mags attempt to make the times meaningful, but it just isn't possible.

However, it is an epic place, and though I do not want it to change, I have the same fear as ScottKelly911 above. Death has always been a very real possibility for anybody pushing the limits there, and if it is now a concern...or just a red herring to make more profitable use of the land...it is not hard to surmise this could be the beginning of the end.

Telling to me is that, as I understand it, these recently imposed speed limits are to protect spectators, not drivers or passengers. Is the idea that providing a less dramatic spectacle by limiting speed will have them move voluntarily to other areas of the track? Just does not make a lot of sense to me, along with the other reasons stated by ScottKelly911. And what happens when the next death inevitably occurs, on or off the track? It stands to reason that they will have to answer with more regulations.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:03 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus
Maybe Circuit de la Sarthe would be better...

Or just end the debate entirely and make it the Isle of Man.
I hope not, hopefully the new standard is a shorter circuit like the Nurburgring F1 circuit. The ring or any overly long circuit with straight out top speed straights have to much variables to ever compare lap times.
Old 06-25-2015, 01:42 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 50 Posts

It's probably the best thing to happen to manufacturers. No longer beholden to a "timed" attack at the ring, no longer needing to one up anyone else based on a single number, Porsche can now go back to driving the ring simply as a proving ground to test fatigue, handling and other characteristics to improve the overall car and not some silly magazine quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:18 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
...it is not hard to surmise this could be the beginning of the end.
Further evidence. This survey is directly linked from the Nurburgring website...

Various measures are currently being discussed in order to further improve the safety of the Nordschleife for example changing track layout or the mordification [sic.] of racing cars.

https://de.surveymonkey.com/r/Nuerbu...y_Nordschleife

Quick Reply: nurburgring bans laptimes