Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 03:01 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,685 Posts

Originally Posted by ElectricChair
Porsche 960, known internally as "FeFi" (for "Ferrari fighter"):
That thing looks great. My personal spec would include an NA Flat-8 revving to over 9k, manual gearbox option, weight under 3k pounds, and hydraulic steering (pump electrically driven like all racing 911's).
Old 06-19-2015, 03:29 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus
In the same manner that Porsche seems to be listening to it's customers as we indeed may see a manual in the 991.2 GT3/RS, those of us who care should not just roll over and die when it comes to giving up on the NA engine.
I believe your choice will be either normally aspirated + hybrid or turbo without hybrid. I suspect the best we can hope for are a few rare exceptions, because the NA + Hybrid solution, even if it's light and unobtrusive, likely requires an automatic transmission.
Originally Posted by GrantG
That thing looks great. My personal spec would include an NA Flat-8 revving to over 9k, manual gearbox option, weight under 3k pounds.
Modern 908 road version? It could be a tough choice between that and a proper powerful and stripped analog 911. I'd probably go with whichever's smaller, assuming I had budget.
Old 06-20-2015, 03:31 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Flat 8 quad turbo mid-engined.
Old 06-20-2015, 06:40 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronan
That would be a mean machine.

I agree with all the other posters that not much will be known until FIA/WEC/ACO finish their GTE regs. I would bet on some sort of 5 liter NA, 4 liter turbo, and some combo of hybrid powerplant that mimics LMP1 regs.
Old 06-20-2015, 08:09 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

They can keep the turbos. The 488 might have the best street turbo engine yet, but I think EVO's new review says it well:
Originally Posted by EVO Magazine
The simple facts are that the new engine gives you more of what you can't use (outright power) and less of everything that can make any journey feel special (immediacy of throttle response, noise and that feral rush to 9000 rpm).
Old 06-20-2015, 08:12 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

V8 Cayman.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:28 AM
Finlander
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 138 Posts

This is what I've read.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/porsche...-zuffenhausen/

"scuttlebutt is that Porsche’s leaning toward a flat-eight for the new car. The UK’s Autocar reports that it may feature a turbocharger for every two cylinders, in the interest of minimal lag and maximum complexity."
Old 06-21-2015, 04:50 PM
Zeus
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Just in time

I agree with all the other posters that not much will be known until FIA/WEC/ACO finish their GTE regs. I would bet on some sort of 5 liter NA, 4 liter turbo, and some combo of hybrid powerplant that mimics LMP1 regs.
Yep. That is probably what they are waiting for.

Originally Posted by Petevb
They can keep the turbos. The 488 might have the best street turbo engine yet, but I think EVO's new review says it well:
Yep. Kind of reminds me why EVO has never given the McLaren 12C & 650S the high marks overall that I always thought the car(s) would get. Other than the lack of the locking diff, etc...

Originally Posted by Brandon_
This is what I've read.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/porsche...-zuffenhausen/

"scuttlebutt is that Porsche’s leaning toward a flat-eight for the new car. The UK’s Autocar reports that it may feature a turbocharger for every two cylinders, in the interest of minimal lag and maximum complexity."
maximum complexity?

Maximum complexity is great right up until you take your 918 Spyder in for repairs after the warranty has run out.

Unless those upcoming racing rules require it, I'd hate to see Porsche have to develop an all new engine when they already have the 918's stellar V8.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:52 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,740 Likes on 4,765 Posts

Will Porsche ever consider cylinder deactivation? In lieu of turbos or superchargers?

The base Vette C7 and Bentley Continental Coupe V12 both have it as a way of increasing MPG and reducing CO2.

Just curious.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:40 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Will Porsche ever consider cylinder deactivation? In lieu of turbos or superchargers?
They have certainly played with it and even have some patents in the area. Also variable compression, which one could combine with variable cam technology to do a very effective Atkinson cycle (what the Prius engine uses).

I suspect you run into additional issues with cylinder deactivation on a flat six, and turbocharging is likely a simpler and cheaper alternative. I would expect this next generation of engines to be an interim step, however. Given that more efficiency means more performance I think we'll see another step forwards not long after. The fact that the turbo engines are rumored to be based on the 9A1, already fairly old and not easy to modify for some of these technologies, suggests to me that perhaps they have something else cooking. Only speculation on my part, however.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:05 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,740 Likes on 4,765 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
They have certainly played with it and even have some patents in the area. Also variable compression, which one could combine with variable cam technology to do a very effective Atkinson cycle (what the Prius engine uses).

I suspect you run into additional issues with cylinder deactivation on a flat six, and turbocharging is likely a simpler and cheaper alternative. I would expect this next generation of engines to be an interim step, however. Given that more efficiency means more performance I think we'll see another step forwards not long after. The fact that the turbo engines are rumored to be based on the 9A1, already fairly old and not easy to modify for some of these technologies, suggests to me that perhaps they have something else cooking. Only speculation on my part, however.
If they do it, I'd imagine cylinder deactivation would first find its way to the Panamera or Cayenne models.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:03 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Just in time

The new technical regulations have been announced at this year's Le Mans race. GT will become GTP and will place the performance above the FIA GT3 cars. The new Ford GT (and I would presume, the new Ferrari 488) adheres to the new technical regulations. We will be seeing turbos and big rear diffusors.

I believe that the separation of this new class (GTP) with GT3 is why Porsche decided to develop the GT3R with the 9a1 engine. We will be seeing the 960 with a v8 turbo.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:17 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by brake dust
The new technical regulations have been announced at this year's Le Mans race. GT will become GTP and will place the performance above the FIA GT3 cars. The new Ford GT (and I would presume, the new Ferrari 488) adheres to the new technical regulations. We will be seeing turbos and big rear diffusors.

I believe that the separation of this new class (GTP) with GT3 is why Porsche decided to develop the GT3R with the 9a1 engine. We will be seeing the 960 with a v8 turbo.
This implies that Porsche will stop campaigning the 911 as a factory car (R is aimed at privateers). I just can't see that happening - i think they'll do a 4.0 Turbo on the next RSR.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:28 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Yep - that would be extreme. Part of the issue is that I'm not sure you can exploit the benefits of a rear diffusor on a rear engine 911.

It's also interesting that program director for the 918 was Frank-Steffen Walliser. He is now the GT Motorsport Director.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:58 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Re: Frank-Steffen Walliser...very good point!

Originally Posted by brake dust
It's also interesting that program director for the 918 was Frank-Steffen Walliser. He is now the GT Motorsport Director.
Yes, we have discussed this before on our forum...back in September of 2014!

Post # 123

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...l#post11636157

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Quick Reply: Is FeFi on its way?