Speaker replacement sizes ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 05:40 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Speaker replacement sizes ?

I have the sound plus package.
While having my rear camera installed I saw the puny little speaker magnet used in the rear quarter ….disappointing to say the least.

I would like to change all of my speakers to a better quality using the stock amp.

I'm not an audio freak, in this car the mechanical sounds are good enough for me.
That said ; a speaker change out would be a nice up grade..

Does any body have the exact size need for each location.?
Help is appreciated
THX
Elliot
Old 06-16-2015, 06:50 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

I'd just upgrade to OEM 991 Burmester speakers: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8519...your-bose.html
Old 06-16-2015, 08:12 PM
LAGinz
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I might be interested in this scenario too, but I'd probably also be willing to add a high quality amplifier.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:42 AM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
I'd just upgrade to OEM 991 Burmester speakers: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8519...your-bose.html
Can you tell us more? Did you only do the dash tweeters? Or more?
Old 06-17-2015, 12:51 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by meaker
Can you tell us more? Did you only do the dash tweeters? Or more?
I haven't done anything yet. Thinking about it, though...
Old 06-17-2015, 04:37 AM
loveivs
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can I upgrade the burmester speakers from CDR? The stock speakers are really crappy if I want to listen some music at peak traffics.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:31 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Received 228 Likes on 74 Posts

The doors have a 6" woofer and 3" midrange with the tweeter mounted in the dash. There is also a center channel and something in the rear. I think the center channel and rears are small 3" midrange drivers for a total of 9 speakers in the car. The factory amp is under the passanger seat and there is not sub. I'm guessing a direct swap with Burmester drivers would improve the sound slightly but probably not enough to justify the cost. There is a Burmester swap thread somewhere over on the 991 Carrera forum.

My DIY turn-key (but uber expensive) system is coming in the next week or so. I'm simply cutting the factory amp harness, connecting a Mosconi DSP to the low-level output from factory PCM (mounting in factory amp location under the seat, and installing a higher-end four channel amp that will mount in the front trunk.

I'm deleting the rears, center channel, and 3" midrange drivers in the doors and replacing doing a simple front stage stereo pair of DynAudio separates with 7" woofer, 1" silk-dome tweeter, and crossovers mounted next the the DSP under the seat.

I'll also be installing a pressure fitted sub enclosure with a 10" illusion audio sub that only takes up 6" of footwell space.

I should have it in about a week. Sound in Motion in Boston is creating the system for me complete with wiring harnesses to make it relatively plug and play.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:49 PM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Money2536
The doors have a 6" woofer and 3" midrange with the tweeter mounted in the dash. There is also a center channel and something in the rear. I think the center channel and rears are small 3" midrange drivers for a total of 9 speakers in the car. The factory amp is under the passanger seat and there is not sub. I'm guessing a direct swap with Burmester drivers would improve the sound slightly but probably not enough to justify the cost. There is a Burmester swap thread somewhere over on the 991 Carrera forum.

My DIY turn-key (but uber expensive) system is coming in the next week or so. I'm simply cutting the factory amp harness, connecting a Mosconi DSP to the low-level output from factory PCM (mounting in factory amp location under the seat, and installing a higher-end four channel amp that will mount in the front trunk.

I'm deleting the rears, center channel, and 3" midrange drivers in the doors and replacing doing a simple front stage stereo pair of DynAudio separates with 7" woofer, 1" silk-dome tweeter, and crossovers mounted next the the DSP under the seat.

I'll also be installing a pressure fitted sub enclosure with a 10" illusion audio sub that only takes up 6" of footwell space.

I should have it in about a week. Sound in Motion in Boston is creating the system for me complete with wiring harnesses to make it relatively plug and play.
I can't wait to see this. Hopefully we will see 3 one hour videos of the install and sound check
Old 06-17-2015, 10:31 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Originally Posted by meaker
I can't wait to see this. Hopefully we will see 3 one hour videos of the install and sound check
You know it Chris! I keep calling Sound in Motion to get this stuff shipped out to me. It going to be amazing. Below is the basic concept. I stole some of their photos from some of the other forum member cars they've done. I want factory looking, no cutting or drilling, easy reversion back to stock.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:47 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Wow, looks like nice work. Will they sell a "kit" of all of this stuff pre-fab'd? And for roughly how much?
Old 06-18-2015, 08:49 AM
Money2536
Race Car

Wow, looks like nice work. Will they sell a "kit" of all of this stuff pre-fab'd? And for roughly how much?
Assuming my install goes well, yes. The kit price will depend on what products you choose. Mine is using high-end stuff: amp, processor, speakers. I'm at a little over $7,000. Swap out some of the stuff for JL Audio or less expensive speakers and your range can be in the $4,500 - $10,000 range. So not cheap, but it's going to sound amazing.
Old 06-18-2015, 02:51 PM
PTGFAR
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

There have been several treads on stereo upgrades. One thing they have in common is that they use the output from the factory PCM. The way all cars are made these days, it would be much more complicated to do otherwise. That brings up a question. Is the factory output to the amplifiers of adequate quality to justify or take advantage of high end amplifiers and speakers?

In the case of changing speakers only, the people in one other thread are replacing only the speakers with Bermester speakers but they are doing this to a car that came with a Bose system. So does the car with a Bose system already have better amps than a GT3 to begin with?
Old 06-18-2015, 05:00 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Originally Posted by PTGFAR
There have been several treads on stereo upgrades. One thing they have in common is that they use the output from the factory PCM. The way all cars are made these days, it would be much more complicated to do otherwise. That brings up a question. Is the factory output to the amplifiers of adequate quality to justify or take advantage of high end amplifiers and speakers?

In the case of changing speakers only, the people in one other thread are replacing only the speakers with Bermester speakers but they are doing this to a car that came with a Bose system. So does the car with a Bose system already have better amps than a GT3 to begin with?
It depends on the amp. Since some much is integrated into the PCM head unit, I'm keeping it. There are three types of output from a head unit.

Low-level, also called line-level: This is your typical pre-out on an aftermarket head unit that connects to your amplifier via RCA cables. This is an analog signal.

High-level: This would be the signal that comes out that is already amplified and is designed to power your speakers. Typically this isn't the cleanest way to capture the audio signal, but newer amps and DSPs have no problem grabbing the analog signal and converting it to what is needed.

Digital: This would be a newer set-up that has an optical or digital coax cable output much like your Blu-Ray player.

The way Sound Package Plus works is that the factory PCM head unit sends an analog signal to the factory amp that's under the passenger seat. I'm really not sure what type of analog signal it is, low or high. I'm guessing it is high or speaker level. For me it doesn't matter because my Mosconi DSP will grab the analog signal either way, process it, then send the signal out low/line level to my Genesis amp.

I hope this make sense.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:22 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It depends on the amp. Since some much is integrated into the PCM head unit, I'm keeping it. There are three types of output from a head unit.

Low-level, also called line-level: This is your typical pre-out on an aftermarket head unit that connects to your amplifier via RCA cables. This is an analog signal.

High-level: This would be the signal that comes out that is already amplified and is designed to power your speakers. Typically this isn't the cleanest way to capture the audio signal, but newer amps and DSPs have no problem grabbing the analog signal and converting it to what is needed.

Digital: This would be a newer set-up that has an optical or digital coax cable output much like your Blu-Ray player.

The way Sound Package Plus works is that the factory PCM head unit sends an analog signal to the factory amp that's under the passenger seat. I'm really not sure what type of analog signal it is, low or high. I'm guessing it is high or speaker level. For me it doesn't matter because my Mosconi DSP will grab the analog signal either way, process it, then send the signal out low/line level to my Genesis amp.

I hope this make sense.
Would appreciate it if you could weight stuff coming out and going in so we can see weight gain. Thanks,
Old 06-18-2015, 05:36 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

I hope this make sense.
Good Stuff
Elliot

Quick Reply: Speaker replacement sizes ?