Sponsored by:

Speaker replacement sizes ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 02:20 PM
Money2536
Race Car

Received 228 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbohead
I recently installed a rear view camera .My car has the Sound Plus package .There was no optical cable going out of the PCM only a blue plug out to sound.
Is this considered Low Level ?
Elliot
The low-level outs are a bundle of 20 awg wires that exit PCM and enter the factory amp. I'll have pictures for everyone.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:28 PM
gago1101
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Money2536
I've confirmed. It is low-level. There is one Molex Plug with low-level inputs to the amplifier. The other plug is a little different (don't know what it's called) that has the outputs to the individual speakers. The 3" mid in the door and tweeter in the dash are wired together as they are the same color wires. I'm guessing in parallel. I'll have a full write-up and video in the next week or so. I'm about 1/2 way through my install.

I chose to follow Sound-in-Motion's advice to use a British made Genesis Profile III four channel. I had never even heard of Gensis, but they were pretty confident I would love it. I originally planned on Audison Voce.

Since I'm installing myself, I chose not to go active. I'm installing the Esotec 242 crossover under the passenger seat next to the Mosconi processor. I'm guess you're really going to want to use Sound in Motion's box in the passenger footwell, so the Illusion with it's neodymium front mount magnet is the way to go.
So I have decided. I am going with Mosconi Zero 4 amp to power the Focal 165 WRCs and will forgo the center channel like you are.

I spoke with Jim at Sound-in-Motion. Very nice guy and knowledgable. I am getting a prebuilt JL audio 10' Sub and box from them for the passenger footwell, albeit is it about 1.5 inches thicker than your setup.

Another very exciting thing I learned about the Moscnoi 6to8 is that you can add a bluetooth streaming kit to the package. It will do up to 2.1 mbit/sec or 24/96Khz max res for the DSP streaming through bluetooth. This is good news for me since I have a Sony phone that plays my Hi-Res files and will be able to stream to the DSP directly. This is by no means top 24/196kz streaming, but would be as good as CD quality (16 bit 44Kz or 1.4 mbit/sec) and better for high-Res files, such as Flacs, ALACs, etc. You do need a device that supports hi-res music, which my Xperia Z3 Sony does. I have a 140gb library of cd quality or high-res music on my phone and will be able to stream. You can also take advantage of the CD-quality streaming services such as Tidal, which I also have.

Can't wait for your install video. I need to study it carefully before I pick apart my car. After all, I am leaning toward DIY install.

Here is the link the the streaming module add on
http://mosconi-system.it/product/amas/
http://mosconi-system.it/wp-content/...P_AMAS-ENG.pdf

Edit: I am not sure how you are going to power you sub, but I highly recommend going active on your speakers and add another class D amp for your sub, such as the Alpine pdx-m6 ($310). Class D is a requirement for a sub in my book to be able to control the woofer and give you the best articulation. Active amplification will also improve your main speaker sonics tremendously, which alone is a reason to do this. I have been tweaking my home audio for more than a decade, but have found that active setup is the way to go. FYI, I spent 3K on amps in my home audio to power my tweeters alone above 7.5K hz. In your setup, it is well worth the $300 bucks to add the amp for the sub, and I have not doubt that the Alpine powering your sub will sound much better than using any of the high-end class A/B amps.

Last edited by gago1101; 06-26-2015 at 07:51 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:01 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Money2536
The low-level outs are a bundle of 20 awg wires that exit PCM and enter the factory amp. I'll have pictures for everyone.
Thanks
pics would be great
Elliot

Quick Reply: Speaker replacement sizes ?