Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saying Goodbye to my GT3 :(

Old 06-17-2015, 01:56 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by mainly

and i dont see the difference in either of these cars as far as wasting them driving in traffic/daily driving them - you cant go very fast in either car unless you want to lose your license. but the way i look at it, at least with the gt3 you can hear the engine! with the m4 you cant go fast, AND you cant hear the engine. (unless you floor it) and the gt3 looks way sexier than any m car! the new m3/m4/m5 are so boring and muted.
Ok. Now it's getting silly. Everything else aside.. which is the better dd? M4 or 991 GT3?

I think the car is flat out sexy. The m5 may be boring and muted... Disagree on the m4.

I'm not trading my gt3 for an m4 with the expectation they are peers. I am doing it because they are dramatically different and I feel I am way off base in terms of what I am asking my gt3 to do. I have no illusions that the performance, exclusivity etc of the m4 is anywhere near the gt3.
Old 06-17-2015, 02:10 AM
rollsroy
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sgroer
Ok. Now it's getting silly. Everything else aside.. which is the better dd? M4 or 991 GT3?

I think the car is flat out sexy. The m5 may be boring and muted... Disagree on the m4.

I'm not trading my gt3 for an m4 with the expectation they are peers. I am doing it because they are dramatically different and I feel I am way off base in terms of what I am asking my gt3 to do. I have no illusions that the performance, exclusivity etc of the m4 is anywhere near the gt3.
If you drive a lot every day then yeah the M4 will be a suitable replacement. I barely drove so the M4 was just too boring for the few times I would drive every week, hence why I got rid of mine after 6 months. It all depends on your situation.
Old 06-17-2015, 02:13 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rollsroy
If you drive a lot every day then yeah the M4 will be a suitable replacement. I barely drove so the M4 was just too boring for the few times I would drive every week, hence why I got rid of mine after 6 months. It all depends on your situation.
A mix of runs to the airport and commutes to work. In awful traffic. A leaf would be dramatically better but I can only go so far. ;-)
Old 06-17-2015, 02:18 AM
rollsroy
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

A mix of runs to the airport and commutes to work. In awful traffic. A leaf would be dramatically better but I can only go so far. ;-)
I think the best scenario is to keep the GT3 for the weekend and for you to pickup a real comfortable commuter car as your daily. Just my 2cents.
Old 06-17-2015, 02:19 AM
SunnySD
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the best scenario is to keep the GT3 for the weekend and for you to pickup a real comfortable commuter car as your daily. Just my 2cents.
That's what I did.
Old 06-17-2015, 02:22 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Yep. If I had room, it would be a 2015 GTI and keep the GT3. But alas, no room. Have to compromise.
Old 06-17-2015, 02:25 AM
SunnySD
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep. If I had room, it would be a 2015 GTI and keep the GT3. But alas, no room. Have to compromise.
Get a lift and boom extra room. Not as expensive as you think.
Old 06-17-2015, 02:36 AM
pyramid
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had I never had a gt3 I would think the turbo is the perfect balance of track and dd. but once you wind out to 9k, it's very difficult to see the 911 in any other way.
Completely support your decision for a change, 9k rpm is not enjoyable/usable on the street especially for dd, turbo'ed/electric hybrid car is the way to go for low end torque for now.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:38 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,730 Likes on 2,169 Posts

Holy crap, guys, give sgroer a break! Let's not act like he's leaving a cult. No car is ideal for every person for every purpose, and there are certainly scenarios where an M4 would make more overall sense than a GT3. Plenty of people love their M4s, and let's wish him well with his.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:43 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Did you see the M3? More agreseive look and better proportioned IMO. I would go that over the M4 - extra doors are a nice utility bonus. But I would go a c63 AMG over the M3, if you haven't checked out the latest AMGs you should.

I'm terrible at buying cars as I can't seem to keep anything for more than 2,000 miles, so my advice is petty worthless
Old 06-17-2015, 08:04 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

Honestly, I hope that I discover that in this little journey. I am a track novice. The gt3 is way more car than driver. I'll have another one. Just not sure if that is 6 or 24 months from now. I loved the turbo. But could never spend 150k+ on it. Seems pointless to me given how much I love a na 911.
As someone who has owned both a GT3 and a Turbo, I will say that you should trust your instincts. I recently sold my 996 TT in part because I love the NA engine. With two daughters in college I don't have the budget for a GT3, but am happy to be getting a 3.8 NA in the new Spyder I have on order. So yup, I can relate to not wanting to spend $150k on a TT, preferring the NA engine. I can only imagine how sweet that GT3 engine sounds at 9000 rpm!
Old 06-17-2015, 08:46 AM
TheSnail
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The M4 is a solid choice for you in my opinion. I bought it 12 E92 M3 last year as an ideal DD. Now however, I never drive it to work and am looking to replace it with a GT3. I Haven't driven the M3 in about 2 months. Reason being, is the damn thing holds 9 quarts of oil. And with work being 3miles away, I can go to and from before the engine reaches temp. So I just take my truck rather than putter along in the M3. Also, mine is a 6spd, which after the first month of ownership, I added an Akrapovic titanium catback, Akrapovic titanium Catless Xpipe, Tune, 8600 revlimit, KW coilovers. The reason I bring up the mods, is because I am trying to emphasize being careful on modifying yours. Mine I made it from an ideal oem DD to a less ideal DD. Catless exhaust will wake up the neighbors, and the coilovers are stiffer than hell. Not to mention being a catless car, going to work/meetings, people will think you smell like you've just finished mowing the grass haha. For me, a GT3 would be a suitable replacement given what I use the M3 for. For your M4, I would just think wisely on modifications, as most mods will chip away at DD'abitliy. Don't ruin your main purpose for getting the M4. My 2cents anyway.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:48 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

sorry to see you leave Sean. hopefully you will return.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:05 AM
FrstPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

This is quit a different car from the gt3 but I just got my wife a macan turbo for DD and think it's great.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:06 AM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 9 Posts

Sean, don't worry! Your car's evil twin is just a few mile away when you get the 9k itch! Let me know when you get the m4. Would like to see it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Saying Goodbye to my GT3 :(