Sponsored by:

Another Oil Overfill

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 02:38 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
The tank in the 991 GT3 has a capacity of 6L compared to 7.5L in the 997; done to reduce weight by 1.3KG. The tank's shape is more like a funnel to make up for the reduced capacity, per Porsche's info.

The normal 9A1 has what Porsche calls an "integrated dry sump"....there's no separate oil tank.
^ Understood, there is no separate external oil tank. I used 'wet' when I meant 'dry'. End of the day, it is a wet sump as opposed to the GT3 and RS which are true dry sumps. That said, I believe the sump in the standard 9A1 is a reservoir (reservoir, sump, you decide) which is contained within the engine case. Porsche has tried to make the case it irrelevant where the sump (reservoir) is located. The wet sump standard 9A1 is arguably a better design than its predecessor in the 997. The dry sump in our cars is clealy better still of course.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:17 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 165 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
^ Understood, there is no separate external oil tank. I used 'wet' when I meant 'dry'. End of the day, it is a wet sump as opposed to the GT3 and RS which are true dry sumps. That said, I believe the sump in the standard 9A1 is a reservoir (reservoir, sump, you decide) which is contained within the engine case. Porsche has tried to make the case it irrelevant where the sump (reservoir) is located. The wet sump standard 9A1 is arguably a better design than its predecessor in the 997. The dry sump in our cars is clealy better still of course.
I figured that you inadvertently used wet when you meant dry and was simply clarifying; I otherwise agree on all counts. I think the normal 9A1 sump is baffled to prevent oil sloshing, but in the end calling it an integrated dry sump is marketing-speak; it's a modified wet sump.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:19 AM
Shahano
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Filled up oil in the car after it had been turned off for at least 2 hours... After driving last night, oil level did not show anymore???? Tried to idle and try again, but still nothing. What to do???
Old 07-01-2015, 10:23 AM
GregJGT3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shahano
Filled up oil in the car after it had been turned off for at least 2 hours... After driving last night, oil level did not show anymore???? Tried to idle and try again, but still nothing. What to do???
Drive the car for 3 days. The level indicator will eventually start reading again... Probably as an overfill ;-(
Old 07-01-2015, 12:28 PM
gled
Instructor

My Porsche tech told me to pop the engine lid, it will reset the oil level system and you should get a reading sooner.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:35 PM
IvanBurns
Instructor

Originally Posted by GregJGT3
Also after you open the oil fill cap you will have no reading of level for 2+ days. So don't think you are out of the woods on level until 3 days of use...this is rediculous.
I took delivery of my GT3 in January 0f 2014 and think that I was the first to gripe about not getting an oil reading for some number of days.

Fortunately, that's not the case. You can always get a reading in 2-10 minutes. It helps to understand how the system works, but regardless you just need to satisfy two basic requirements before you will get a reading:

1. The oil temperature must be at least 180 F.

2. The car must be left running at idle on level ground for at least 2 minutes.

Doing the above two things is the only way to get rid of the dreaded "No Information Available" message.

There have been 4-5 threads on this frustrating topic over the last year or so. Here's the thread that provides the most detail on how the system works: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...t-working.html

So relax, follow my two step procedure above, and get an oil reading.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:34 AM
Shahano
Burning Brakes

After popping the lid and waiting now its working just fine.. Added just 150 ml of oil and it went from bottom green to top green.. Interesting how sensitive it actually is.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:38 PM
Dostler
Advanced

Just to add to the choir. Changed my oil on Tuesday for a Wednesday track day(thanks for the steps Mike), it read bottom of the range, so I topped it up with a 1/3 of a qt and then it complained about too much oil (driving permitted). Ran 5 x 20 min sessions plus about 100 miles of combined travel and still got the message when I got home. This morning, it showed middle of the range.

I suspect popping the oil filler cap would have reset it - I'll try that next time. Next time I'll drive it more before I oil.

I miss dipsticks.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:00 AM
mos996tt
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by IvanBurns
I took delivery of my GT3 in January 0f 2014 and think that I was the first to gripe about not getting an oil reading for some number of days.

Fortunately, that's not the case. You can always get a reading in 2-10 minutes. It helps to understand how the system works, but regardless you just need to satisfy two basic requirements before you will get a reading:

Doing the above two things is the only way to get rid of the dreaded "No Information Available" message.

There have been 4-5 threads on this frustrating topic over the last year or so. Here's the thread that provides the most detail on how the system works: https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...t-working.html

The idling on level ground is the trick...a couple of minutes usually does the trick.
Old 07-04-2015, 11:25 AM
wdlfbio
Track Day

We had the same thing happen this week. Our new to us ('13 4S). Picked her up in LA Wednesday and headed north. Drove up the coast and got into sw Oregon. Stopped for fuel. Started the car back up and got the yellow warning us of too much oil. Called the dealer and was told not to worry, hyper sensitive sensors. We pushed forward and I monitored the water and oil temps and oil psi. Water stayed around upper 190°s, oil between upper 190°s and 208°F, and oil psi ranged between 33 and 42.

I'm wondering if anyone uses the mityvac for oil removal?
http://mityvac.com/pages/products_fee.asp
Old 07-04-2015, 11:53 AM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by IvanBurns

This makes sense. When I could not get an oil level reading I called the dealer. He the car needed to operate for 20 minutes. What you propose sounds a little more precise!

Quick Reply: Another Oil Overfill