Sponsored by:

Am I making the right decision?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 03:42 PM
Sunny_M3
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Am I making the right decision?

Hello my fellow Porsche fans, I getting the opportunity to purchase a brand new 2015 GT3 with some solid options. I want to put down a sizable down payment, but I know that the monthly payments will still be large (around 1K). A part me thinks its an impulse buy and I should be careful, but another part of me says that I'll never get an opportunity like this if I pass it up. I just need some advice on the best course of action; do a I say "when in Rome" and go for it or do I pass and say "there will be other opportunities". Any kind of advice would be great; you can even yell at me if you wish, lol.
Old 06-14-2015, 03:54 PM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

The 2015 GT3 is a great car. There were great cars in the past and there will be other great cars in the future. That said, it appears that you are concerned about how this purchase will affect your financial situation. Maybe you have a young family, maybe you haven't saved enough for your kid's college education, maybe you're behind in saving for your retirement? Any of those issues would make me concerned. It's your decision. Weigh both sides.

Old 06-14-2015, 03:54 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 798 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunny_M3
Hello my fellow Porsche fans, I getting the opportunity to purchase a brand new 2015 GT3 with some solid options. I want to put down a sizable down payment, but I know that the monthly payments will still be large (around 1K). A part me thinks its an impulse buy and I should be careful, but another part of me says that I'll never get an opportunity like this if I pass it up. I just need some advice on the best course of action; do a I say "when in Rome" and go for it or do I pass and say "there will be other opportunities". Any kind of advice would be great; you can even yell at me if you wish, lol.
The only one that knows your financial where with all is you. On forums you will always, and I do mean always, find people that will have no problem spending someone else's money: RL being an example. Afterall its not their own; plus it allows them to live their dreams through someone else without any risk.

In other words:

If you have to ask?

Answer:

Never do it on a forum.
Old 06-14-2015, 04:17 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,384 Likes on 719 Posts

If Financially it is not an issue than why not?? No one is guaranteed a tomorrow so enjoy life but only as long as you and your Family are not sacrificing too much
Old 06-14-2015, 04:56 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Good luck wrong place to ask for financial advice. May want to call your accountant, or financial advisor. Mine just plans a car expense for me every year so all good. I always say if you can just buy it, and be done with it live life and enjoy. But caution it should never be a burden and you have to think about it. Best of luck.

Last edited by Maverick787; 06-14-2015 at 09:33 PM.
Old 06-14-2015, 05:13 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine-al
The 2015 GT3 is a great car. There were great cars in the past and there will be other great cars in the future. That said, it appears that you are concerned about how this purchase will affect your financial situation. Maybe you have a young family, maybe you haven't saved enough for your kid's college education, maybe you're behind in saving for your retirement? Any of those issues would make me concerned. It's your decision. Weigh both sides.

OP, this is good advice....
Old 06-14-2015, 05:18 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

To add a little bit of color - be mindful it's a depreciating purchase long-term, while people are doing well short-term it hasn't lasted on the GT3 in the past. There are other great options like a used 991 C2S or C4S for less than $80k now that will give you a great driving experience and leave money in the bank.

If you're buying it for tracking, it's a very very expensive hobby - especially if you start taking it seriously.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:23 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me say that you will always get endless opportunities to purchase any type of porsche you want so long as you can afford them.

Is now the right time? This really comes down to how much of a risk taker you are. My conservative side would say that if you have to ask the question you probably are stretching it. I follow the old wise man type wisdom that if you can't comfortably pay cash for it, then don't do it. I am not elderly, just 41.

On the other extreme I have seen people living on the edge of their affordability via financing for long periods of time, perhaps indefinitely. I don't have the stomach for such risk, but perhaps you do? Your decision.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:37 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sleep on this decision more than one night. It's a great car, but more will follow.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:42 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Agreed with the wise folks above. A $150,000 car is pure excess. If your other financial ducks aren't in line, wait for the next incredible round Porsche creates. It certainly hasn't gone downhill in the past, so the future holds more brilliance to come.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:48 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,765 Likes on 4,768 Posts

Never buy any Porsche -- be it GT3 or any other model -- if one of the first thoughts to pops into your mind is "what about the payments ..."

These cars are wants, not needs.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:53 PM
KenU
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sunny_M3
I have an expression, nothing too profound, but always works for me, my family and my staff: "when in doubt, don't!".
Old 06-14-2015, 11:59 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,781 Likes on 2,189 Posts

I agree with everyone else. It's an expensive car, an inherently indulgent purchase, so buy it only if you can readily afford it. If it's a stretch financially, there are plenty of other nice cars to choose from which cost much less. And yes, tracking cars can get expensive, especially when tracking an expensive car.

As far as missing out if not buying now, variants of the GT3 will likely be around for a long time, and no reason to think they won't all be great. Heck, next gen of the GT3 might be better than the current one!
Old 06-15-2015, 12:31 AM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 99 Posts

Agree with what everyone has said. $1k is not a large monthly payment for financing a $150k car. Don't have my calculator handy but sounds like you are putting around 50% down.

I saw in another thread that you also have a deposit for GT4. Consider holding out for that car. You'll be able to find one eventually and it will be far less money. Obviously the GT3 is more expensive for a reason but at least the GT4 will give you substantially more money left over.

If you can afford the GT3 though, I say go for it.
Old 06-15-2015, 01:01 AM
irish guitar
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm not a business man and I've never been accused of being prudent or cautious, but my credo is: if I can't afford to pay cash for a car, I can't afford it.

Besides, as great as the 991 GT3 is, you'll probably have more fun driving a GT4 or an earlier GT3, and all for less $, too.

Vivian

Quick Reply: Am I making the right decision?