Sponsored by:

Am I making the right decision?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 02:27 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by irish guitar
I'm not a business man and I've never been accused of being prudent or cautious, but my credo is: if I can't afford to pay cash for a car, I can't afford it.

Besides, as great as the 991 GT3 is, you'll probably have more fun driving a GT4 or an earlier GT3, and all for less $, too.

Vivian
Agree.
If you can write a check, buy it. If not, don't.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:45 AM
Lawsofpower
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunny_M3
Hello my fellow Porsche fans, I getting the opportunity to purchase a brand new 2015 GT3 with some solid options. I want to put down a sizable down payment, but I know that the monthly payments will still be large (around 1K). A part me thinks its an impulse buy and I should be careful, but another part of me says that I'll never get an opportunity like this if I pass it up. I just need some advice on the best course of action; do a I say "when in Rome" and go for it or do I pass and say "there will be other opportunities". Any kind of advice would be great; you can even yell at me if you wish, lol.
If your payments are "around $1000/month" consider yourself lucky as the GT3, in most cases, is a $2xxx/month vehicle. Good luck!
Old 06-15-2015, 01:16 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by irish guitar
I'm not a business man and I've never been accused of being prudent or cautious, but my credo is: if I can't afford to pay cash for a car, I can't afford it.

Besides, as great as the 991 GT3 is, you'll probably have more fun driving a GT4 or an earlier GT3, and all for less $, too.

Vivian
I agree with Vivian. But buying only when you have the funds is an old-fashioned idea unfortunately. Nowadays, it's all about financing, credit, borrowing, loans, lay-away and the like. I don't buy a car unless I have the funds to buy at least four of them.
Old 06-15-2015, 04:13 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

This reminds me of a funny t-shirt I saw on a Russian model in Shanghai. It translates, "Boys, don't chase girls. Chase the money and the girls will come."

There will always be future opportunities - do it when you don't even have to think twice. You'll get more enjoyment from your purchase when you don't have to think about how you're going to pay for it.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:21 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunny_M3
Hello my fellow Porsche fans, I getting the opportunity to purchase a brand new 2015 GT3 with some solid options. I want to put down a sizable down payment, but I know that the monthly payments will still be large (around 1K). A part me thinks its an impulse buy and I should be careful, but another part of me says that I'll never get an opportunity like this if I pass it up. I just need some advice on the best course of action; do a I say "when in Rome" and go for it or do I pass and say "there will be other opportunities". Any kind of advice would be great; you can even yell at me if you wish, lol.
Cars are toys/luxuries. If it is anyway going to have an affect on your lifestyle, I would say don't get it. The GT3 is an amazing car, but there will always be other cars to buy, 991.2 GT3 perhaps. If I had to think twice about going to a nice dinner or couldn't max out my SEP annually, I would probably not purchase a Porsche. Also putting a sizable down payment when rates are under 2 percent is silly. Inflation is 3 percent. Keep you cash, invest it and make higher monthly payments.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:35 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,792 Likes on 2,194 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
There will always be future opportunities - do it when you don't even have to think twice. You'll get more enjoyment from your purchase when you don't have to think about how you're going to pay for it.
A possible corollary of this: if you're financially stretching to buy a car, you may be expecting the car to enhance your enjoyment of life more than it actually will. While they can be marvels of design and engineering, cars are ultimately just cars.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:47 PM
wilcaz
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually think the "wisdom" of not financing a car is extremely misplaced. While you should be financially responsible, interest rates on cars tend to be extremely cheap, so there's a pretty strong incentive to finance even if you can afford to pay cash. Why would you put up so much cash for an asset that is guaranteed to depreciate when you could put down half, finance the rest at a low interest rate, and put the other half in some sort of investment account with positive ROI?
Old 06-15-2015, 05:50 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by wilcaz
I actually think the "wisdom" of not financing a car is extremely misplaced. While you should be financially responsible, interest rates on cars tend to be extremely cheap, so there's a pretty strong incentive to finance even if you can afford to pay cash. Why would you put up so much cash for an asset that is guaranteed to depreciate when you could put down half, finance the rest at a low interest rate, and put the other half in some sort of investment account with positive ROI?
Agreed. I've never paid over 3 percent interest on a car. Making 3 percent on your money is a no brainer.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:54 PM
shapiroeric
Race Car

Received 546 Likes on 277 Posts

If I have to think about it financially....I don't do it.....
Old 06-15-2015, 06:19 PM
Flowmacks
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You only go around once, just do it.

Someone had to say it.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:25 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,772 Likes on 4,772 Posts

Originally Posted by Flowmacks

Someone had to say it.
This advice only applies if the choice is between buying a GT3 or one of those used Ferraris.

Someone had to say it.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:31 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,792 Likes on 2,194 Posts

Originally Posted by Flowmacks

Someone had to say it.
Hence the need to put some thought into how we spend our limited time, energy, and money. Impulse buys only work if they don't generate adverse effects which offset the benefits of the purchase.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:00 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by aamersa
Let me say that you will always get endless opportunities to purchase any type of porsche you want so long as you can afford them.

Is now the right time? This really comes down to how much of a risk taker you are. My conservative side would say that if you have to ask the question you probably are stretching it. I follow the old wise man type wisdom that if you can't pay cash for it, then don't do it. I am not elderly, just 41.
I agree^^, but 48.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:24 PM
Zucc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The GT3 is not a "payment"car. I once had a a corvette payment that was $1367 per month, but I didn't care because I could have paid cash and only financed it because they offered 0%. Like others said, if you are not comfortable writing a check for the whole amount, then don't finance it.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:37 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Hence the need to put some thought into how we spend our limited time, energy, and money. Impulse buys only work if they don't generate adverse effects which offset the benefits of the purchase.
Extremely well said.

Quick Reply: Am I making the right decision?