Garage Project w/Lift and RaceDeck

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 01:21 AM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dev
awew911,

Sorry if I missed which ramp you bought. I assume it's the 7W or 9HD?

Would you mind maybe taking a measurement for me; the distance from the outside leading edge of the base of the column to the outside leading edge of drive of ramp/platform. I understand one platform is fixed on the mechanical side while the other can be moved between narrow and wide. I need one the the ramps (outside leading edge) to be at least 20" from the outside column base edge.

I wish to place a HD 9 as close to my exterior wall as possible. I assume I can get the base of the side columns within 2" of the wall?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
The ramp on the non-power side will move inward ~6". Total narrow width would then be 75 1/2" vs 82 3/8" on the wide setting.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:39 AM
awew911
Rennlist Member

All finished.

I have more than enough room to go up one more lock on the lift. I have around 4" of clearance above the 991. Since the 48" aluminum ramps extended beyond my garage entrance, I had to use 2x6's to get the RS up on the lift.

I have around 8-10" above the RS to the ceiling. Min ceiling height at lowest point is 115" and highest is 116".

Old 06-24-2015, 12:42 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Beautiful garage! Nicely done!
Old 06-24-2015, 01:39 PM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by awew911
I had it shipped to the terminal and I borrowed my friend's open Featherlite trailer. They put it on the trailer and I drove it home 30 miles.

Home delivery will require you to have a forklift. It's 1700 pounds.

I ordered mine here http://bigboysgaragetoys.com/car-lif...hd-9-car-lift/ and Scott was VERY helpful in guidance.

Once I got home, I took the pieces off one at a time. You only need help from 3 friends for the two runways. When you go to remove the runways, you should have the columns and cross members in place.

If you have good mechanical inclination and take your time, it is a fun project that took me around 7 hours the first time and probably a total of 5 hours this time.
Great, thanks for the tips!!
Old 06-24-2015, 02:51 PM
UAEGT3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

very nicely done.
Old 06-24-2015, 03:43 PM
Jpacione
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

A few more questions -

1. Looks like you had the lift bolted down? Was that recommended, or just your choice?
2. Your height, with the ceiling bumped up, is 115-116"? I was concerned about my height of 126", especially with the needed clearance for the garage door, even assuming it's hugging the ceiling. I was worried I'd have to back the car in to make it clear the door.
3. On the ramp issue, mine might also extend beyond the garage door. don't they lock in the upright position, or at least hand down near vertical? Wondering why you used 2x6 instead of the ramps and then just remove the ramps? I just want to understand the logistics to better make a decision on my end.

Thanks for your willingness to share!
Old 06-24-2015, 04:10 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

1. It is recommended but not required. My friend's lift has walked a bit since he originally installed it. I feel (and sleep) more comfortably knowing the thing is bolted down positively. It does feel more 'solid'.

2. How many inches does your garage door take up? I have 112 inches of clearance to my garage door now with the high-lift, and that leave more than a foot to my wing.

3. The ramps can be left on but you won't be able to pull your car in/out from underneath. It placed the 2x6" about 1/3 the way up the 48" ramps and was then able to get up on the lift.

I'm going to cut a couple of 3/8" pieces of plywood and glue them together and lay them on top of the aluminum ramps when I want to load/unload the RS from the top. Optimally, those ramps would be another foot longer to resolve the issue. Maybe I'll visit a local fabrication shop and have them add some length to them.

Hope that helps.

Originally Posted by Jpacione
A few more questions -

1. Looks like you had the lift bolted down? Was that recommended, or just your choice?
2. Your height, with the ceiling bumped up, is 115-116"? I was concerned about my height of 126", especially with the needed clearance for the garage door, even assuming it's hugging the ceiling. I was worried I'd have to back the car in to make it clear the door.
3. On the ramp issue, mine might also extend beyond the garage door. don't they lock in the upright position, or at least hand down near vertical? Wondering why you used 2x6 instead of the ramps and then just remove the ramps? I just want to understand the logistics to better make a decision on my end.

Thanks for your willingness to share!
Old 06-24-2015, 04:34 PM
991 3Turbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just remember this all------the lift has to come UP off the locks a few inches before it can come DOWN, so be very careful putting your car up to the very top lock because you may get the car stuck without enough room to deactivate the locks. Always measure without the car on the lift and add the height of the car and give a few more inches so as to not have a sticky situation on your hand. I had plenty of room with 12'6" ceiling with my GTR and could lift it to the top lock. At 6'5 I could literally walk under the bend pack without hitting my head which was VERY nice. Many lifts don't have the clearance the Bendpak has.
Cheers!
Old 06-24-2015, 04:54 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Night and day!
Old 06-24-2015, 05:56 PM
Jpacione
Pro

1. It is recommended but not required. My friend's lift has walked a bit since he originally installed it. I feel (and sleep) more comfortably knowing the thing is bolted down positively. It does feel more 'solid'.

2. How many inches does your garage door take up? I have 112 inches of clearance to my garage door now with the high-lift, and that leave more than a foot to my wing.

3. The ramps can be left on but you won't be able to pull your car in/out from underneath. It placed the 2x6" about 1/3 the way up the 48" ramps and was then able to get up on the lift.

I'm going to cut a couple of 3/8" pieces of plywood and glue them together and lay them on top of the aluminum ramps when I want to load/unload the RS from the top. Optimally, those ramps would be another foot longer to resolve the issue. Maybe I'll visit a local fabrication shop and have them add some length to them.

Hope that helps.
Very helpful. I don't know how much clearance I will have with the high-lift kit. I have 126" to the ceiling, so I'm hoping it can be 4-6" down from there. Hope I'm not smoking something on that one.

Can I ask for clarification on the ramps? Sounds like you got the 48" (extra long) ramps. I'm not understanding the need for the wood? You mentioned they stick out onto the driveway - is that the complication? Driveway at a steep angle or something? I want to make sure I'm not overlooking the same type of issue on my end.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:13 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

Very helpful. I don't know how much clearance I will have with the high-lift kit. I have 126" to the ceiling, so I'm hoping it can be 4-6" down from there. Hope I'm not smoking something on that one.

Can I ask for clarification on the ramps? Sounds like you got the 48" (extra long) ramps. I'm not understanding the need for the wood? You mentioned they stick out onto the driveway - is that the complication? Driveway at a steep angle or something? I want to make sure I'm not overlooking the same type of issue on my end.
I got the 48" (extra long) ramps. My garage sits above my driveway by about an inch. That's enough for the end of the ramps to be lower and increases the angle just enough so that the front spoiler lip will scrape on the RS.

If you have the Front Lift on the GT3, you may be able to get away with the ramps. I can try my 991 GT3 later this eve and verify. I'll take pics as well.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:43 PM
Jpacione
Pro

I got the 48" (extra long) ramps. My garage sits above my driveway by about an inch. That's enough for the end of the ramps to be lower and increases the angle just enough so that the front spoiler lip will scrape on the RS.

If you have the Front Lift on the GT3, you may be able to get away with the ramps. I can try my 991 GT3 later this eve and verify. I'll take pics as well.
That would be great. Thanks again.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:11 PM
awew911
Rennlist Member

That would be great. Thanks again.
This is what I mean...

Old 06-24-2015, 09:07 PM
Jpacione
Pro

This is what I mean...

Thanks for the pic - amazing that small of a difference would cause the angle to be too severe. i do have the front axle lift on my gt3, so I'm thinking I will be OK, but I'll have to check the step-off from garage to driveway. I don't have as pronounced of a drop, but my apron bevels, and it's probably about an inch in the transition.

If you have a chance to check clearance on your end, I'd be grateful.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:17 PM
FRIZ
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 32 Posts

Wow very nice

Quick Reply: Garage Project w/Lift and RaceDeck