Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTB: 991 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 06:17 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,802 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Back in March I put a WTB thread in the car sale section and got 3 people who pinged me, including one who I bought my GT3 from. RL is a great place and it'll be just a matter of time before someone contacts you with the car that you want to buy.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:16 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Or wait for an RS
Old 06-11-2015, 07:34 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Still a tough market out there to buy. Certainly a seller's market.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:39 PM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 9 Posts

A couple of recent auction cars have gone for above MSRP so dealer prices may be reflective of what they are paying for 991 GT3s.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:54 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,802 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Or wait for an RS
Yup, that's exactly what I'm doing but while I wait I figured I'd have fun with a 991 GT3 to wet my lips.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:56 PM
MACH 86
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Guest 89

Good experience with Jim Ellis. Bought my 993 from him and went back to by the GT3 and as a previous customer they wanted $20,000 over. Got it elsewhere with some goodies thrown in.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:19 PM
Flowmacks
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess I'll be the third one to say avoid Jim Ellis. Bought my 1st 911 from them, I'll go somewhere/anywhere for my next one. They run you through every single dirty trick. It's amusing at first, then annoying, and by the time you pull off their lot with your new car you f'ing hate them. Seems like people that buy from Hennessy have better things to say.

I can't find an allocation for a new one, so I just sit around bitching about the dealers.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:27 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,787 Likes on 4,776 Posts

Or wait for an RS
Might make more sense to wait for 1.2 GT3.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:54 PM
FrstPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
This. My gt4 arrives in August to hold me over for two years until pts gen 2 gt3.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:01 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

No.

Maybe .2 RS.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:54 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

If I buy a Speciale when I'm in Maranello next month I'll sell you mine. Serious.
Old 06-12-2015, 02:25 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 198 Likes on 116 Posts

Thanks all for the comments and PMs. I think I have found the right car for me, but nothing is over until I have the car and he has the money.

Originally Posted by bronson7
Still a tough market out there to buy. Certainly a seller's market.
Definitely is a seller's market right now.

Or wait for an RS
Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Theoretically these would make sense, but:

I can't afford an RS (yet?) and wouldn't want to DD one anyway. Even if I could get an allocation, which I can't.

I need a car now, and I don't want to drive a beater or take Marta while I wait for a .2 GT3.

That said, I am in the camp that believes the 991.2 GT3 will be a 2017-2018 model with incremental enhancements over the 991.1 GT3. Facelift, 15 more hp, etc. 50% probability of manual transmission availability I would say, and minimal chance of a turbo engine.

Originally Posted by MACH 86
Good experience with Jim Ellis. Bought my 993 from him and went back to by the GT3 and as a previous customer they wanted $20,000 over. Got it elsewhere with some goodies thrown in.
Originally Posted by Flowmacks
I guess I'll be the third one to say avoid Jim Ellis. Bought my 1st 911 from them, I'll go somewhere/anywhere for my next one. They run you through every single dirty trick. It's amusing at first, then annoying, and by the time you pull off their lot with your new car you f'ing hate them. Seems like people that buy from Hennessy have better things to say.

I can't find an allocation for a new one, so I just sit around bitching about the dealers.
I have multiple personal data points for poor service at Jim Ellis, and I am always vociferous in my complaints when I have the ear of a higher-up at PCNA. Last year at Petit I conveyed my disgust to more than one PCNA executive while in the private Porsche Hospitality tent. I was very, very close to buying a C7 Z51 Corvette out of disgust, but instead purchased a 997.1 GT3.

Hennessy isn't much better though.

3.5 years ago I was just out of college with a bonus check burning a hole in my pocket. I wanted a 993 badly. There were two cars in Atlanta. One at Hennessy, one with a broker. I called Hennessy, expressed my interest, and set up a test drive. I arrived on Saturday evening at the appointed time. The salesman said "look kid, these cars are expensive, I can't let you joyride in this type of car when you're not a serious buyer. We have a 986 Boxster that would probably be more manageable for a 22 year old." I drove the other local 993 the next day and bought it on the spot.

The ONLY dealer about which I can say unfailingly positive things is Brumos. I know the GM personally. He has always been gracious, kind, and unflappable. And I've never spent a nickel inside there.
Old 06-12-2015, 02:48 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
Thanks all for the comments and PMs. I think I have found the right car for me, but nothing is over until I have the car and he has the money.

I can't afford an RS (yet?) and wouldn't want to DD one anyway. Even if I could get an allocation, which I can't.

I need a car now, and I don't want to drive a beater or take Marta while I wait for a .2 GT3.

That said, I am in the camp that believes the 991.2 GT3 will be a 2017-2018 model with incremental enhancements over the 991.1 GT3. Facelift, 15 more hp, etc. 50% probability of manual transmission availability I would say, and minimal chance of a turbo engine.

I have multiple personal data points for poor service at Jim Ellis, and I am always vociferous in my complaints when I have the ear of a higher-up at PCNA. Last year at Petit I conveyed my disgust to more than one PCNA executive while in the private Porsche Hospitality tent. I was very, very close to buying a C7 Z51 Corvette out of disgust, but instead purchased a 997.1 GT3.

3.5 years ago I was just out of college with a bonus check burning a hole in my pocket. I wanted a 993 badly. There were two cars in Atlanta. One at Hennessy, one with a broker. I called Hennessy, expressed my interest, and set up a test drive. I arrived on Saturday evening at the appointed time. The salesman said "look kid, these cars are expensive, I can't let you joyride in this type of car when you're not a serious buyer. We have a 986 Boxster that would probably be more manageable for a 22 year old." I drove the other local 993 the next day and bought it on the spot.

The ONLY dealer about which I can say unfailingly positive things is Brumos. I know the GM personally. He has always been gracious, kind, and unflappable. And I've never spent a nickel inside there.
Brumos? The worst bait-and-switch dealer I have ever come across in my nearly 20 years of buying and driving pcars. I would never buy a car from them.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:12 PM
MACH 86
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Guest 89

Had the same experience form Hennessy. 9 month before I had purchased a Cayman from them and wanted a GT3. They had 2 on the floor. Replaced engines that they got from Porsche. Both had miles on them. I looked and said I would like to drive one just to see how the ride was. I am not a hot shoe and just wanted to go around the the block and back. Oh you can't do that. We don't test drive them. Got a hold of Porsche NA and was given a factory car test drive. Also a GT3. I think atl is beginning to look like LA east with the dealers. The GT3 is my 7th new Porsche over 30+ years.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:16 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89

89, Interesting. Do you recall the salesman's name? Frankly, your Hennessy Story sounds unlikely. Best, Allan

Quick Reply: WTB: 991 GT3