Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 GT3 or GT4 decision

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 02:14 PM
loveivs
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If money is Not an issue, I will pick the GT3 of course. 911 is always better than cayman from any aspects. That is how Porsche made them. Different grade.
Old 06-07-2015, 02:24 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
The rear vs mid-engined argument for me doesn't hold so much with the 991 and rear wheel steering, a lot of the character is gone from the car. I have a 991 GT3 RS on order, but I suspect it'll drive more rear-mid-engined as well.

My wife wants me to keep the GT3 when the RS arrives, but I'm going to replace it with a 964 for some more classic 911 track days.
This!

Old 06-07-2015, 03:13 PM
TONY AIR C2S
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

I wish I had your problem. I would love to have either car. I have tried to get an allocation, but someone told Porsche that I am nobody special. Congrats on whatever you end up getting.
Old 06-07-2015, 03:19 PM
dntlvet
Pro

I would take a GT4 over a Cayman R
Old 06-07-2015, 04:36 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
This!

I got one of those. Okay, not a converted street car, a "real" from-the-factory 964 Cup. 😊

They are special cars, imo.

Old 06-07-2015, 04:37 PM
trky
Track Day

Yeah its a tough call. Money wise I can get either car but not both. My concern with the gt3 is it may not be as fun to drive on the road/track compared to a gt4 when you are not at the upper ends of the rev range. On the other hand the gt4 sounds like it will provide lost of feedback without having to ring its neck but may leave me wanting more power. I have never driven a gt3 and no current gt4 to test so no real idea. My current daily drive is a 15 M3 with a tune and 490hp at the wheel. Love the power but feels very sterile. Looking for a real sports car with lots of feel and fun without having to ring its neck all the time.
Old 06-07-2015, 05:14 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,139 Likes on 560 Posts

As a "thing" to own and enjoy, GT3 wins hands down - it's better looking (striking & beautiful, complete design, while GT4 looks like a hot-rodded Cayman, which I think is great as well, but not in GT4 guise), has very special engine and pretty special gearbox; it sounds amazing.

As something to drive on the street only - it's close, but I'd give it to GT3. Basically, if you much prefer manual transmission, it's GT4. But if you are not a fanatic, then some advantage to GT3. GT3 is adequately fast in straight line, while GT4 is comparable to regular 3 series BMW, not even an M3. It may not matter to some, but if you find thrill in occasional burst of acceleration or oversteer, GT4 will be limiting (unless you put BRZ tires on it :-)). GT3 sounds like it's going fast even when not at readline, etc. Also, automatic gearbox mode and front lift option make it a very usable daily. I daily mine for over a year and love it. Not sure about GT4, but without a lift it would be parked 99% of the time between track days. Some may say driving manual is more exciting in GT4, but with long gears, you will not need to shift beyond second gear much if ever. Unless you are tolerant to going to jail or you worry about fuel economy, shifting beyond second gear is masturbation - no practical reason for it. I am not excited about worrying about fuel economy or masturbating the shifter, so that is lost on me. Also, I have not tried GT4, obviously, but drove every other currently produces porsche except 918, and the GT3's suspension is incredibly immediate and precise on the road, especially with small and quick inputs. No hesitation, no lag in weight transfer, no ambiguity. It's addicting and amazing. I think it's due to RWS, but who knows. I am not sure GT4 will match that - it might, but some reviews indicate otherwise.

On track - GT4. Seems like 95%+ of what GT3 can give you for 2/3 of the price, and potentially cheaper maintenance. Also, I'd drive it more full-on than GT3 because of lower power and lower price, frankly. So for a mostly-track car, I would have gotten a GT4.

Hope that helps.
Old 06-07-2015, 05:20 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
I got one of those. Okay, not a converted street car, a "real" from-the-factory 964 Cup. 😊

They are special cars, imo.

The Tag Heuer Car in the background looks like the one Thats for sale for $299k On Market Place ;-)

Old 06-07-2015, 05:30 PM
Peterfirst
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Macca
But Grant the SportAuto HH short figures are a sand bag. I know armatures beaten that time. Didnt the recent German GTSvCGTSvGT4vGT3 article show a time difference of 3.5s over a moderate length (3 mile) track. I think it was HH long?
If SportAuto would do the HHR GP then difference would be way bigger! HHR GP is much faster compared to the short HH which Sport Auto is using. That is why I do not like this HH times from SA.
If you go parabolica then power makes big difference....

my2 Euro-cents

Peter

Oh - and yes GT3 is my vote! And I was an auto-box hater but PDK in the GT3 is just great. And alos the GT4 gearbox has too long ratios .... think this was a mistake from PAG to not have shorter rations in the GT4 .... just saying

Last edited by Peterfirst; 06-07-2015 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Added vote :-)
Old 06-07-2015, 05:49 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by trky
My current daily drive is a 15 M3 with a tune and 490hp at the wheel. Love the power but feels very sterile. Looking for a real sports car with lots of feel and fun without having to ring its neck all the time.
Then you've already decided on the GT4. It was made to provide exactly what you are looking for.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:20 PM
LAGinz
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Haven't driven the Cayman but contrary to what some have suggested, I don't feel that the GT3 is at all boring at rpms short of 9000. Because of the relatively aggressive gear ratios and quick throttle response, I find it to be very rewarding in pretty much all contexts, using the paddles. (This coming from a former Vette guy who was concerned he would be disappointed with the not overwhelming low end torque figure). On top of that the handling and steering are just incredibly controlled and precise----and yes, the car just looks the bomb! While I have enjoyed manuals a great deal over the years, I don't miss it on this car. GT3!!!
Old 06-07-2015, 06:31 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 48 Posts

This!

Man thos ethings are going for like $300K, I def missed my window
Old 06-07-2015, 06:32 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The Tag Heuer Car in the background looks like the one Thats for sale for $299k On Market Place ;-)

It isn't. The one behind me in the pic is now back in Europe and although it is a real Cup, it is not the guest car Mika Hakkinen drove twice. The one asking $300k is. Frankly, these cars have gotten so valuable and parts are becoming harder to source, it is hard to track it, let alone race it anymore.
Old 06-07-2015, 07:21 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Yes, but that article also concluded that the GT4 was the best car to drive (subjectively) of the whole group.

It was translated as follows in post #5:

"Look at the numbers and you already know the winner: the 911 GT3. But not for me. The Cayman GTS and the 911 Carrera GTS also come close to the sports car ideal, but I feel the GT4 distills the Porsche essence the best. A bit rough, a bit hard, but still everyday useable, mind-bogglingly agile, demanding, precise, emotional, at the same time somehow grounded. This mix intoxicated on the road - where the galactically fast GT3 bored."

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/8766...s-article.html
Its an interesting review as its one of the first we have seen punting the GT3 against the GT4. Im sure there will be more from the likes of EVO etc in the future that will give a more balanced perspective from BOTH the road and the track and in English as well which would be useful!

Im anticipating the GT4 will be the more fun car on the road (Im talking fast back-road morning dawn raids with some other spirited driving mates here). Thats why Ive put an order in. Unlike most Im not intending to track the car preferring instead the GT3. On the track the GT3 is simply awesome. After years punting my little 993 around the track (which I really enjoyed) I didnt think I would say that but the GT3 power/revs/9000 rpm and the safety and speed of the PDK shifter is addictive. Its also a car i do zero prep on which makes my track days very relaxing (no wheel/tyre/suspension/pad changes - just get in it drive to the track even long distance overnight with the wife and then next morning fill it up dig out the six point hardness from behind the seat, empty the car of all the crap I have and turn on the AIM DL + Smartycam bolted to the rear half cage). Heck I mostly dont even turn off the aircon on the track though I dont use the heated bucket seats while out there obviously :-)!

Perhaps I will grow tired of this "convenience". Its been fun on occasion to get the old girl out on the track to compare. I come in thinking "this old car is brilliant, the feel, the sound the un masked mechanical grip LWFC etc she sure punches above her weight what a balst). Then I get in the GT3 for the nest session and hit 15-20% more Vmax up the front straight laying down the brakes for a fast turn in an faster exit to the 60 degree corner at the end of the straight and I think, "man this chassis is brilliantly composed, man that redline and the sound is unreal, man that thump in the back is cool, man this thing is fast and makes me so quick). All of a sudden I love the GT3 more again. So it really is a difficult one as the experiences are so different. i cant tell you which I enjoy more which is really perplexing! I guess I ordered the GT4 as a safety net to see if it was worth owning something in between my GT3 and my 993. I cant afford to keep all three forever so one will have to go! I will definitely give the GT4 a track outing just to see how it feels on the track...hopefully at Spa or Nurburgring.

You and I are on a similar page. You have a old skool track hot rod (far lighter, better power/weight, more developed and no doubt better driven than mine) so you know the score here. The GT4 will be more like your hot rod than the 911 GT3 would be. Its manual for a start. Forget the weight there is only 100lb between a GT3 and GT4 - the GT4 is not as light as I would like to have seen it. Power to weight I suspect there wont be much between your car and the GT4 either.

All of the bullet points you make I agree with 100%. The fact is the Cayman will never be a 911 and I know that sounds snobby and I tried to tell myself it didnt matter years ago when I bought a 968 6 speed but the fact remains the 911 IS the Porsche to me - the look, shape, dynamic feel, flat 6 engine, the history and the heritage.

You have a unique wonderful and very capable old skool 911 in the garage. For you the Cayman thing isnt such a big thing because you have the "real deal" in the garage and so do I. For the OP he doesnt so hes asking for one car only recommendation - and as much as I think the GT4 may be enough for him and surely represents the best value I couldnt deny him the wonder of owning a 911 and not just any 911 but a GT3! Its like when you were young and wanted a nice watch you could only afford a Tudor Submariner but a few months later you got a pay rise which could have afforded you a Rolex Submariner. the Tudor is great - its 50% cheaper than the Rolex and does the same thing, made by the same company just a lower budget sub brand. The thing is you are wearing a Tudor. You look at it and wish it was a Rolex. practically there is nothing in it and the Tudor is way better value...but its not a rolex!

For me the 991 GT3 was the first GT3 to tempt be since I experimented with the 996.1 GT3 at the time I had the 993 (and it seemed ugly, bland and clinical at the time with the only highlight its engine with 80 bhp more and a much higher rev line than the 993). Over the years the 993 developed into a quasi GT3 in many regards (chassis and brake development, RS bits, Cams, Motec type ECU, weight saving etc). Each successive GT3 model launch just seemed like a "little bit more" to me not a revolution.

Then came the 991 Gt3. This car compared to your hot rod or my old 993 in RS++ spec was a REVOLUTION. Its like owning the Nissan GTR of Porsche 911 in many regards. Its different enough to appeal and wake you up to the present of performance car tech and give you a glimpse to the future. It does everything so well with so little compromise compared to your or my oldtimer that you actually love it for just being so "everything". Few will get this perspective because it comes from a long time air cooled guy who never thought he would go water cooled in a big way.

The GT4 is much of that the new GT3 is Im sure, with the old school gearbox but Im not sure I would have bought the GT4 as the only car to sit next to my old skool girl even if money had have been the decider. For a few reasons. Firstly its not different enough (its heavy still as modern cars are, its revs but not much higher than my 993 and yes it has a bit more power but at the expense of electronic systems such as electro steering, more unsprung weight, less all out mechanical feel). And secondly (and Im a bit embarrassed about this) its not a 911. Let alone a 911 GT3/RS. I know its superficial and I feel bad saying it but when I look at the 991 GT3 all clean in teh garage next to the 993 I see two very beautiful pieces of functional art with their coke bottle shape, wide flowing hips and similar shaped rooflines etc. They are both so beautiful to me I couldnt tell you which is the better shape! But they are both 911!

This has become longer than I expected (no surprise to those that know me!) and probably a too specific to you and I, but I hope in here are some perspectives that may be useful to the OP and also others reading this thread.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:57 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,740 Likes on 4,765 Posts

Originally Posted by dntlvet
I would take a GT4 over a Cayman R
I would take a Macan (not even an "S") over the Cayman R.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 or GT4 decision