Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   "Builds" vs. "Allocations" vs. a stock unit (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/876986-builds-vs-allocations-vs-a-stock-unit.html)

MBL287 06-03-2015 06:30 PM

"Builds" vs. "Allocations" vs. a stock unit

First post in this forum so don't hurt me - former C2S and TTS owner.

I got a call yesterday from the dealer I bought a '14 TTS from. By way of background I contacted them when I heard about the GT3 being continued for '16 and they "confirmed with Porsche" that the rumors were untrue and the GT3 would cease after 2015.

Well, I got a call from him a couple days ago saying he had a "build" available for a 2016 available at MSRP. He said they just found out about it and other sales people were calling their customers so I should act fast. I said I would take it and he said he would fax me a credit card authorization to give a a modest $250 deposit.

I gave the credit card and about an hour later he emailed me and said he would let me know when they got their allocation.

I immediately wrote back and told him I was confused - I thought him saying he had a "build" meant there was a car assigned to them that I could claim. His response was generic and said that the allocation wasn't in yet but I would get it when they got it. I called for clarification but he is off today

My question is - do dealers know for sure an allocation is coming? is this what they refer to as a build? Does his distinction between "build" and "allocation" make any sense? I know what an allocation is and I know he doesn't have one. What i want to know is whether there is a way for them to know they have an allocation incoming.

Given that it is only $250 I would normally just let it sit and see what happens but... here is why I am posting here looking for insight... I know of a dealer that has an unsold new '15 that I can get when it arrives in a couple weeks. Unfortunately it is the wrong color and has fluff options I would never choose for myself. Nonetheless, if the other dealer is simply making me pay to get in line for a car I may never get I may want to jump on what is available.

Sorry for the long post.

MM3.9GT3 06-03-2015 07:57 PM

The allocation comes first, and then you, or the dealer, will "build" it (Porsche Configurator)

The question to the dealer is a very simple one: Do you have an allocation? Yes, or No. I would highly recommend that you place the $250 deposit right now.

alpine-al 06-03-2015 08:15 PM

The PCNA regional rep informs the dealer that they will be getting x allocations for the 2016 GT3. The dealer doesn't know when each of those allocations will become an order that they can build in the system. (For example, in July 2013 my dealer was informed by the rep that they would be getting at least four GT3 allocations. I had already paid a $1K deposit and was fourth on the list. 13 months later in August 2014 that fourth allocation became buildable in the system. The car was completed in Dec 2014 and delivered to me in Jan 2015.)

Tre 06-03-2015 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by alpine-al (Post 12332394)
The PCNA regional rep informs the dealer that they will be getting x allocations for the 2016 GT3. The dealer doesn't know when each of those allocations will become an order that they can build in the system. (For example, in July 2013 my dealer was informed by the rep that they would be getting at least four GT3 allocations. I had already paid a $1K deposit and was fourth on the list. 13 months later in August 2014 that fourth allocation became buildable in the system. The car was completed in Dec 2014 and delivered to me in Jan 2015.)

Similar story with regards to my experience getting an RS slot. My dealer was told how many non-918 allocations he was getting in Apr but couldn't give me a build date until a couple weeks ago. It's a bit frustrating as it appears PCNA trickles to some dealers while giving others their full load upfront.

MBL287 06-03-2015 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by alpine-al (Post 12332394)

Thanks - that clears it up a bit. The dealer referenced a conversation with PCNA in his first call to me. He also confirmed that I am first on the list. I guess now I just have to decide whether the perfect build is worth potentially having to wait many months or just picking up the incoming unit and having it in a matter of weeks.

bronson7 06-03-2015 09:37 PM

Go for your perfect build and enjoy the whole experience.

Dr.Bill 06-04-2015 02:26 AM

I highly doubt there are incoming GT3's that haven't been sold ages ago.
Grab an allocation if you can and build what you want.

Shahano 06-04-2015 03:30 AM

I say get the 2015 while you can.

carcommander 06-04-2015 02:52 PM

I would not spend 150k plus to get a new car with the wrong color and lots of options I didn't want. Wait to see if you get the allocation. If you don't there are plenty of used cars around.

GreenLantern 06-04-2015 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by carcommander (Post 12334387)
I would not spend 150k plus to get a new car with the wrong color and lots of options I didn't want. Wait to see if you get the allocation. If you don't there are plenty of used cars around.

+1

MBL287 06-04-2015 04:15 PM

My choice just got easier - the '15 sold

Now I'll just sit patiently and wait...

thxbuff2001 06-05-2015 12:14 AM

Allocations right now are more like prizes given to dealers. If it was harder to get one when the allocations was plenty, more so right now.

If you are really serious in getting a GT3, be ready with a build code and $$$. When you get a call, jump on it.

I got called 3 times between 2014 and 2015, never got it. the only time I got the allocation was when I was really serious about it. But before you give any CC, tell them no BS. If you give a deposit, that there and then, give you the allocation code.